Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey remember these old Good Humor trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey remember these old Good Humor trucks?

http://goodhumortrucks.com/information.html

God, I miss those days. We'd be playing "running the bases" and then run our a$$es off for that truck. The guy would open that ice box door in the back of the thing. I know, I know....I'm getting OLD.

my kids are at the age where they go completely apeshit at the sight of the ice cream guy. come running in the house to grab cash on the double.

the truck comes through our neighborhood tuesdays and thursdays like clockwork (right before dinner AKA bowls of cereal for the kids and stale bread and water for me and the wife).

tuesday we told my youngest, the ghost pepper kid, he couldn't have 1 that night before dinner and he fucking lost his goddamned mind. hah!!!
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Hahahahaha! Why do they always.....

...come right before dinner?

Comment

b/c they KNOW YOU'LL BE HOME!

i drove one of those fuckers the summer before i moved to NC. just graduated from college and thought it would be a big money maker.

fucking money PIT is all it was. had to buy your ice cream up front from the scumbags who own the place and you never took more than $50 home a day. You'd be all excited that you were rolling in with $150 in cash and then go to settle up and see you owe those douchebags $97.50 for the 20 cases of various kinds you hit the streets with.

also, i had a bad habit of getting stoned most of the day and gobbling up my profits.

I traded choco taco's for dime bags in the college section of Rochester, NY all the time.

what a great job though! god i loved that summer.
        Last edited by Ellsworth; 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH! YOU ARE THE GOD DAMN **BEST**!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
            I traded choco taco's for dime bags in the college section of Rochester, NY all the time.
            What a great line...I love Choco taco's.

So, were you sick of ice cream by the end of that summer? Is there any ice cream treat you still won't eat because you're burnt out on them?
            YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
              my kids are at the age where they go completely apeshit at the sight of the ice cream guy. come running in the house to grab cash on the double.

the truck comes through our neighborhood tuesdays and thursdays like clockwork (right before dinner AKA bowls of cereal for the kids and stale bread and water for me and the wife).

tuesday we told my youngest, the ghost pepper kid, he couldn't have 1 that night before dinner and he fucking lost his goddamned mind. hah!!!
              TELL YOUR YOUNGEST HE HAS TO EAT A BROWNIE BEFORE HE CAN HAVE ANY ICE CREAM!
              "LIFE IS FULL OF 4TH AND 1 DECISIONS, CHOOSE YOUR NEXT CROSSROADS WISELY.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Gap Penetrator View Post
                http://goodhumortrucks.com/information.html

God, I miss those days. We'd be playing "running the bases" and then run our a$$es off for that truck. The guy would open that ice box door in the back of the thing. I know, I know....I'm getting OLD.
                WE HAD MR. SOFTEE WHERE WE GREW UP. DROVE THAT POOR GUY NUTS, SCREWED WITH HIM EVERYDAY. WE HAD 40 KIDS ALL AROUND THE SAME AGE AND JUST TORTURED THAT GUY. HE PUT UP WITH IT CAUSE THERE WERE SO MANY OF US.

Comment

The sight of DQ deepthroating a chocolate covered

banana must have had the moms shepherding their kids into their homes lickety split.
                  John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

honestly, i could never get sick of ice cream but i haven't had a bomb pop, strawberry shortcake, or a banana/fudgecicle since i hung up my keys 20 years ago.

All the chocolate ones though (fudgecicles, choco taco's, chocolate eclair bars, etc) i still will get once in a while when the guy rolls through my hood.

there were always 2-3 kids on my route that would come running over all the time and want ice cream but never had any money. i always felt sorry for them so i'd take what they had (usually a quarter, if that) and give them one of the 50 cent red bomb pops. that also hurt my profits.

memories!

Last edited by Ellsworth; 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

so did we! shit was the BOMB!!

good humor trucks SUCK compared to Mr Softee! no question!

Comment

WE CHASED GOOD HUMOR OUT OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD. THE SOFTMAN WAS THE SHIT! GOOD HUMORBORE.

Comment

I made a fucking fortune as a Good Humor man the summer of my senior year in HS.

I had to work from noon to dark, seven days a week, but cleared $250/wk when minimum wage friends were all making 65 bucks.

Best story:

I had only two things for a dime ... a popsicle and a fudgesicle.

After a couple of weeks on the job, I learned when some 5 year old only had a dime ... I asked what he wanted and if he pointed to something on that picture sticker with ice in it, I gave him the popsicle.

If he pointed to something with ice cream in it, I gave him the fudgesicle.

The fucker was going to end up there anyway because he only had a dime and I had to beat Mr. Softee, King Midas, Jack and Jill and the independent guy with the modified van to the next neighborhood.

I didn't have time to negotiate with some 5 year old over a dime who couldn't understand that he didn't have enough for a Toasted Almond.

I wasn't smoking weed in those days, so I guess I was more mercenary than Ellsworth ... "Oh wow kid ... no cash? Thasss coool ... here."
                          Last edited by slag; 05-23-2013, 04:38 PM.
                          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I spent the summer between college and law school driving a Mr. Softee truck. It was hell. This was summer of '82, 10.8% unemployment, and it was literally the only summer job I could get.

They gave me the worst route -- the one that drove the best neighborhoods and the longest distances. Counter-intuitive? No. The best route is the ones through the poorest neighborhoods, like Ellsworth's I suppose. Then my truck had an electrical issue, so I could run either the air conditioning or the ice cream machines but not both. I sweltered all summer.

The first day I drove the truck I got it stuck in a muddy field (don't ask) and a buddy's dad had to tow me out. Several times I had to go under the truck for repairs and finished my route in a white shirt with black grease stains. One time I arrived back at the terminal at the end of the day and found all but two lug nuts had sheared off one of my tires.

One time I was stopped in front of a house and a kid ran out the door and put his arm through the window. I had to put a fucking tourniquet on the kid's arm so he didn't bleed to death before the ambulance came. I finished my route in bloody white clothes.

I have no fond memories of being Mr. Softee. Well, maybe one. One day I just said fuck it and parked at a rest area on Route 17. Made more money than any other day that summer by just sitting there, and I didn't get ticketed.
                            Last edited by RSE; 05-23-2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

That's awesome! my truck was a death trap. it was a little toyota tacoma or something with the freezer in the back so i literally had to park and get out every time somebody wanted something. it wasn't one of those kick ass trucks like in the Smashing pumpkins 'today' video, or, even better, the Coal Chamber cover.

I had the monroe ave area of Rochester and neighboring projects section but also had Cobb Hill and the area where the lillac fest and shit was held. All the college kids lived in huge houses with massive porches and hung out there listening to music, drinking beer, etc while i sweated my ass off trying to make some dough to move south. i didn't even have an AC option in my truck.

the tires were so bald the steel belts were poking through.

my very last day i decided to work from 10am til 9. came back to the warehouse, plugged my unit in to cool overnight, and took off with every cent i made that day. Fuck those scumbags. i left owing them a couple hundred bucks i think but dicked them.

my best day ever there was some huge music festival on Monroe avenue around 4th of July. i just parked my truck there all day and literally sold everything in my freezer. made about $250 in one night (net, not gross). had to keep bribing the cops on horses with freebies so they'd let me stay there in a no parking zone.

went back to brockport that night, threw the money on my waterbed, pulled an ATM on my girlfriend (I wish), and did bong hits all night long. packed my shit up a couple days later and headed to NC.

the rest is history.
                              Last edited by Ellsworth; 05-23-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X