Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Littlest Haberdasher (c) and Ried (FF) might be gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Littlest Haberdasher (c) and Ried (FF) might be gone...

...but Jeff Lurie is still in charge.

A buddy of mine was covering the lacrosse championships and the Linc was undergoing major renovations...it was all torn up!

Interesting how they could host a major three-day event during this work, but that was the excuse to force the City All-star game --hosted at the Vet and Linc going back for decades -- to be played at Northeast High.

This is the kind of thing that really irritates me about this ownership.
    Last edited by Irish George; 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Don't disagree with the sentiment but the lax final 4 venues are contracted years in advance so he probably didn't have a choice. Of course, I'm sure the revenue helped him get over it.
    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

well I guess my point is...

...if you can work around the construction for the LAX tourney, scheduled in advance or no, what is one more event, a football game?
      May 7, 2010

Comment

yeah, no doubt. If the game brought in enough loot, I bet they could work around the construction.
        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
          ...but Jeff Lurie is still in charge.

A buddy of mine was covering the lacrosse championships and the Linc was undergoing major renovations...it was all torn up!

Interesting how they could host a major three-day event during this work, but that was the excuse to force the City All-star game --hosted at the Vet and Linc going back for decades -- to be played at Northeast High.

This is the kind of thing that really irritates me about this ownership.
          Out of curiosity, do you know how attendance for the NCAA LAX Final Four compares to the City All-Star game? Also, what fees are paid to and from the Eagles/Linc/city?

I agree that NFL owners are a fairly greedy lot, however there is a cost to doing business. The revenue from the LAX championship probably mitigated the cost to have it during renovations while the city all-star game more likely did not.

It's also more likely that other venues can host the all-star game compared to the LAX championships. If the Linc turned down the championships, then in effect the city of Philly would be turning them down. Turning down the all-star game is unfortunate but it's likely not hurting the city a great deal if it's a one year (or once every few years pending new renovations) thing.
          --
          Your Retarded

Comment

OF COURSE it does not hurt the city

it hurts the kids.

The city All Stars have traditionally been rewarded for their fine play with the opportunity to play in an NFL stadium.

It's a nice community relations thing the Eagles do for high school players. Or at least have done for several decades.
            May 7, 2010

Comment

it hurts the kids.

The city All Stars have traditionally been rewarded for their fine play with the opportunity to play in an NFL stadium.

It's a nice community relations thing the Eagles do for high school players. Or at least have done for several decades.
              I totally get that but like it or not the economics of keeping the stadium in order are going to supersede youth sports in most cities.
              --
              Your Retarded

Comment

as you would say I am just curious...

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                I totally get that but like it or not the economics of keeping the stadium in order are going to supersede youth sports in most cities.
                as to how you arrived at the notion that hosting the City All Star football game around the same time a major NCAA event was held, adversely affects "the economics of keeping the stadium in order."
                May 7, 2010

Comment

as to how you arrived at the notion that hosting the City All Star football game around the same time a major NCAA event was held, adversely affects "the economics of keeping the stadium in order."
                  I asked what attendance is like at the event. I don't know.

If the Linc is being renovated, there's the possiblility of some significant cost to stop renovations and/or make sure it is fit for use. The economics of stopping it for the all-star game (which can be held elsewhere in the city) might not make sense compared to stopping it for a major NCAA event which would likely have to leave the city altogether.
                  --
                  Your Retarded

Comment

those hypothetical economic reasons are likely accurate and also quite short-sighted

By having all the local kids and their parents at the Linc, they had the chance to create a positive impression and a lifetime of good memories. Those local families may actually attend the Linc for other events and become future fans for life
                    Its also community service and good PR as noted by IG

Whereas the NCAA stuff is mostly out- of- towners who won't contribute jack-diddly squat to the Linc or Philly going forward

Who knows the real reason, but its often tied to short-term thinking by a small-brained bean counter.

At least that's what usually happens in America Inc.

We had the same issue in San Diego, where the kids didn't get to play at the NFL Stadium ( Qualcomm) like they always did and the disappointment level was off the charts for those families

"Whatever venue is selected, it will pale in comparison to Qualcomm, said longtime Oceanside coach John Carroll.

“This is bad news for San Diego,” said Carroll, whose Pirates have won seven titles in eight straight trips to Qualcomm (2004-2011). “This is bad news for kids. We had the best environment (in the state) and now that environment has been taken away. Our kids are the losers and it’s really unfortunate.”

Comment

i'm fairly certain its sparsely atended

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                      I asked what attendance is like at the event. I don't know.

If the Linc is being renovated, there's the possiblility of some significant cost to stop renovations and/or make sure it is fit for use. The economics of stopping it for the all-star game (which can be held elsewhere in the city) might not make sense compared to stopping it for a major NCAA event which would likely have to leave the city altogether.
                      Im also pretty sure that's not the reason it is held there. The Carpenter Cup is sparsely attended at CBP and was at the Vet, too.

Im also pretty sure you understand attendance is not the point at all.
                      May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post
                        those hypothetical economic reasons are likely accurate and also quite short-sighted

By having all the local kids and their parents at the Linc, they had the chance to create a positive impression and a lifetime of good memories. Those local families may actually attend the Linc for other events and become future fans for life
                        Its also community service and good PR as noted by IG

Whereas the NCAA stuff is mostly out- of- towners who won't contribute jack-diddly squat to the Linc or Philly going forward

Who knows the real reason, but its often tied to short-term thinking by a small-brained bean counter.

At least that's what usually happens in America Inc.

We had the same issue in San Diego, where the kids didn't get to play at the NFL Stadium ( Qualcomm) like they always did and the disappointment level was off the charts for those families

"Whatever venue is selected, it will pale in comparison to Qualcomm, said longtime Oceanside coach John Carroll.

“This is bad news for San Diego,” said Carroll, whose Pirates have won seven titles in eight straight trips to Qualcomm (2004-2011). “This is bad news for kids. We had the best environment (in the state) and now that environment has been taken away. Our kids are the losers and it’s really unfortunate.”

Was that a permanent change at Qualcomm? I don't think it's permanent at the Linc and I don't disregard the fact that it sucks for the kids.

However, the all-star game isn't going away. It's a city all-star game so it's going to be in the city - most likely back at the Linc in 2014.

Having the NCAA game at the Linc generates revenue for the stadium and the surrounding area and increases tourism. No city wants to turn down an opportunity to bring in outsiders and their money. Partially because it's ideally an influx of cash for the event but also it makes the destination more attractive.

Therefore, while it sucks, turning down the city's youth for an annual all-star game in 2013 in order to renovate is significantly different than turning down the NCAA.
                        --
                        Your Retarded

Comment

Anybody who would take issue with the sizeable contributions Lurie and the Eagles make to the community at large over the years is raging against something that has little to with facts. And when I say contributions, I mean more than just money.

Just a ridiculous criticism.

Comment

Im also pretty sure that's not the reason it is held there. The Carpenter Cup is sparsely attended at CBP and was at the Vet, too.

Im also pretty sure you understand attendance is not the point at all.

And the Eagles have had it in their facilities ever since Lurie has been owned the team - correct? They probably get the point of the event as well. But if the site is undergoing renovations, low revenue events that would stall/interfere with the renovations are going to take a back seat.

That's just how it is - especially given the ability to hold the event elsewhere
                            --
                            Your Retarded

Comment

who said anything about that?

I'm talking about the Banner-esque perception it puts out there. You missed the point completely.
                              May 7, 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X