OT- Confidential to Bored Lawyers about Zimmerman Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Confidential to Bored Lawyers about Zimmerman Trial

This is a sensitive case to most people, so I'm not asking if you think he is innocent or guilty, but I would like to hear from people who practice law about the job the prosecution is doing.

I think its been downhill since the opening statement. Its almost like they've never spoken or groomed the witnesses they placed on the stand.

Your thoughts on the whole trial.
    500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post
    This is a sensitive case to most people, so I'm not asking if you think he is innocent or guilty, but I would like to hear from people who practice law about the job the prosecution is doing.

I think its been downhill since the opening statement. Its almost like they've never spoken or groomed the witnesses they placed on the stand.

They will never get a murder 2 conviction. They should have gone with manslaughter if they wanted a conviction. I expect a riot 10 miutes after the verdict is read. Prosecuter fucked up

Comment

Judges are elected by the people in Florida. If it was an appointed position, I think she would have agreed with the Defense after the prosecution rested that they didn't come close to proving 2nd degree murder. But there is also plenty of pressure on this jury so, who knows what the outcome will be.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMIN EAGLE View Post
        They will never get a murder 2 conviction. They should have gone with manslaughter if they wanted a conviction. I expect a riot 10 miutes after the verdict is read. Prosecuter fucked up
        Apparently deciding to convict for manslaughter instead is an option for the jury in this case. Not much penalty for overcharging there, just makes the defense cover more ground.

Comment

I haven't been watching the trial, but I get updates from a coworker. Seems like going for murder 2 was a mistake.
          500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

I watched a fair amount while on vacation and have followed it somewhat closely otherwise. I would be surprised with a murder 2 or manslaughter conviction at this point based on the testimony. The witnesses (including, to a large extent, the prosecution's own witnesses) have provided enough to support his claim that he reasonably believed he had to use his gun to prevent great bodily harm. It's a shame. But, juries are unpredictable so nothing would shock me.

Edited to add - I believe they can convict him of lesser crimes beyond manslaughter so he very well may be slapped with something.
            Last edited by McCarthy12; 07-09-2013, 05:21 PM.
            "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
              But, juries are unpredictable so nothing would shock me.
              knock, knock...

Comment

Um, who's there?

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                  Um, who's there?
                  George Zimmerman

Comment

That joke was being told around legal circles during the OJ case.

And it worked better, because all you had to use was "OJ who" not both the first and last names, as the lawyer did in the Zimmerman case.

Could be, at least partially, why nobody laughed when he delivered the punch line.
                    Last edited by slag; 07-09-2013, 05:51 PM.
                    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

That has to be one of the strangest ways to begin an opening argument. Whatever he was trying to do blew up on the spot. Also, calling TM's father yesterday wasa big mistake. Wasn't needed and it a fired.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                        That joke was being told around legal circles during the OJ case.

And it worked better, because all you had to use was "OJ who" not both the first and last names, as the lawyer did in the Zimmerman case.

Could be, at least partially, why nobody laughed when he delivered the punch line.
                        The problem I had with it was that it was just insulting to the jurors - the world is a little different than (almost) 20 years ago...

Comment

No, in the context of pretrial publicity, it's worse.
                          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Haha bizarre to say the least...

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post

Not a lawyer and I haven't seen all the testimony and statements, but it seems like a hugely difficult case to prosecute. It only works if you can make the jury believe -- absolutely believe -- that Zimmerman stalked Martin and forced him to defend himself form an aggressor. It just doesn't seem like the evidence is there without someone seeing what happened before Martin died.

Maybe the prosecutor will still get Zimmerman on some lesser charge, but I do have to say, "these assholes, they always get away" does sound pretty malicious to me.

No matter the verdict, what comes after will be an adventure.

-AE

Comment

Working...
                              X