• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the NFL full of thugs?

http://deadspin.com/what-do-arrests-...nd-c-733301399

--
    Your Retarded

Would be interesting to see another analysis bar

Adult men celebrities. I bet it would be close to the NFL ave...
    "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

it's interesting that they're the lowest in terms of drug charges

Comment

do Police officers next

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
          Adult men celebrities. I bet it would be close to the NFL ave...
          That would be a hard demographic to capture given the large spectrum of celebrity and fame.

I'd like to see other sports. The NFL is the most popular, so any negative event is probably magnified, but for the most part, the athletes are required to be more team players than say baseball or basketball.

I don't know if that would change the results or not.
          --
          Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Brandonn View Post
            do Police officers next
            Email Gawker for that request. I just shared their (Deadspin's) analysis.
            --
            Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
              it's interesting that they're the lowest in terms of drug charges
              Drug use is rampant. Most Americans don't have constant testing and millions of dollars on the line if they're caught though.
              --
              Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                Drug use is rampant. Most Americans don't have constant testing and millions of dollars on the line if they're caught though.
                but the cash on the line would also be applicable to the other categories, right? For example, many teams provide arm's length free transportation for players.
                Last edited by JuTMSY4; 07-11-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                  but the cash on the line would also be applicable to the other categories, right? For example, many teams provide arm's length free transportation for players.
                  That's true, but the drug testing is something that can be a bit more organized and planned around. You know there are tests and you know (while sober) that using drugs can fuck things up without even taking being arrested into account.

I have to assume that most people who get DUI's probably aren't thinking as rationally as they should be. Plenty of people who have the means to take a cab or call a friend after a night out drinking still don't do it.
                  --
                  Your Retarded

Comment

Interesting numbers but its not really a comparison vs their peers

Their peers are:

young men earning $400K up to $20 million / year
                    have been given extensive training and guidance on what not to do
                    have agents and advisers to assist them
                    have dedicated player development reps
                    free rides home, no questions asked
                    access to quality support groups
                    college classwork/ education
                    they don't have to commit crimes just to eat
                    cops give athletes a break more frequently than John Q. Lawbreaker

NFL players are given massive advantages over their same age peers, and they are also exposed to massive amounts of temptations that their same age peers would not

Pretty tough to compare THEM to US, they live in a completely different world

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post
                      Interesting numbers but its not really a comparison vs their peers

Their peers are:

young men earning $400K up to $20 million / year
                      have been given extensive training and guidance on what not to do
                      have agents and advisers to assist them
                      have dedicated player development reps
                      free rides home, no questions asked
                      access to quality support groups
                      college classwork/ education
                      they don't have to commit crimes just to eat
                      cops give athletes a break more frequently than John Q. Lawbreaker

NFL players are given massive advantages over their same age peers, and they are also exposed to massive amounts of temptations that their same age peers would not

Pretty tough to compare THEM to US, they live in a completely different world
                      I guess Aaron Hernandez should only be judged by 20-something NFL players if we want to stick to peers?

Based on your list of differences, what's a reasonable percentage difference in order to say that NFL players are more or less than as thuggish as the American adult male?
                      --
                      Your Retarded

Comment

Numbers in a vacuum have to be analyzed more like you've done.

I particularly think a comparison to others in their income range, would be a bit more valid.

I'd also like to see how the NFL compares to the other four major sports ... although, due to roster sizes, they'd likely have to use a different "per" number (maybe just a straight percentage).
                        Last edited by slag; 07-11-2013, 06:06 PM.
                        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                          I guess Aaron Hernandez should only be judged by 20-something NFL players if we want to stick to peers?

Based on your list of differences, what's a reasonable percentage difference in order to say that NFL players are more or less than as thuggish as the American adult male?
                          Aaron Hernandez will be judged by a jury of his peers soon enough, I know nothing of the guy

As far as the numbers go, the devil is in the details- I didn't dig into their per capita criteria, but I saw it includes males 18 and up
                          The nfl players include only a tiny slice of elite athletes from say 21 to 35, so their per capita numbers are skewed in comparison to the general population

The general population is diluted in comparison because it includes 88 year old geezers who commit few crimes, so the number will be artificially lower and a lousy comparison imo

Too many dirtballs in the NFL ? No question about it. Shithead behavior from guys who are given so much ? Absolutely.

I just challenge the idea that this methodology or these data points are valid for making that call given the way its sorted

If the data were reduced to general population between 21-35 yrs old and included some socio-economic parameters- then its probably more valid for making an assessment in my view.

But either way, its a major problem and their celebrity status makes it a very public black eye for the league - a league that depends on its carefully crafted image to sell advertising

Comment

Hasn't the NFL been like this for awhile? I feel like nothing's really changed - I would assume that the NFL has by far the most crime compared to the other 3 major sports leagues, but is this anything new?

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post
                              Aaron Hernandez will be judged by a jury of his peers soon enough, I know nothing of the guy

As far as the numbers go, the devil is in the details- I didn't dig into their per capita criteria, but I saw it includes males 18 and up
                              The nfl players include only a tiny slice of elite athletes from say 21 to 35, so their per capita numbers are skewed in comparison to the general population

The general population is diluted in comparison because it includes 88 year old geezers who commit few crimes, so the number will be artificially lower and a lousy comparison imo

Too many dirtballs in the NFL ? No question about it. Shithead behavior from guys who are given so much ? Absolutely.

I just challenge the idea that this methodology or these data points are valid for making that call given the way its sorted

If the data were reduced to general population between 21-35 yrs old and included some socio-economic parameters- then its probably more valid for making an assessment in my view.

But either way, its a major problem and their celebrity status makes it a very public black eye for the league - a league that depends on its carefully crafted image to sell advertising
                              I don't think it's an easy answer to determine the proper comparison of peers. NFL players and professional athletes in general are fairly peerless in society.

Yes they make a lot of money, but they make it in a relatively short period of time and it's to last them over a long period of time. Comparing that to someone who makes 6 or 7 figures yearly for 20-30 years is inaccurate.

They also make a lot of money at a young age and many often come from meager beginnings and possibly little formal or informal education in how to handle that money. Once again, if you look at the "average" person in their income bracket it's likely a very different story.

You also have to look at which players are getting arrested. Sure you have a Vick or a Hernandez, but if you look at that link in the article breaking down the arrests over the last decade it's mostly no-name, vet minimum players. So that money they make is even less yearly once it's spread out.

Aside from all that, the numbers are still lower than the general population but as you said the NFL has an image and because these kids/young men are making a lot of money they're held to a higher standard - unfairly or not.

So I agree, there are a lot of variables. I didn't post the graph and article to definitively say yes or no they're all thugs. I though it was an interesting comparison and I think contemporary thinking would have been NFL players would be higher in all categories but they're not.
                              --
                              Your Retarded

Comment

Working...
                              X