Good article/rant about the media and Johnny Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good article/rant about the media and Johnny Football

- along with some comparisons to McNabb and RG3.

http://deadspin.com/america-is-ruini...ball-802185460
    --
    Your Retarded

I think this guy is trying to be cute and clever where he needn't be.

If what this guy is saying is valid why aren't Teddy Bridgewater, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick going through the same thing?
    "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
      I think this guy is trying to be cute and clever where he needn't be.

If what this guy is saying is valid why aren't Teddy Bridgewater, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick going through the same thing?
      I think he's saying that the media will pick a player to focus on due to something small, make it bigger than it is, then make every subsequent thing they do bigger than they should be so that it eventually becomes the reality.

McNabb has/had his flaws. But he did suffer from a lot of over the top scrutiny and I think that got to him.

Manziel just finished his redshirt freshman year and he's being compared to a possible Ryan Leaf.

And I think he's also correct that it's way overblown with QBs compared to other positions.

Hype over athletes and expectations I think are absolutely ridiculous sometimes.
      --
      Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
        McNabb has/had his flaws. But he did suffer from a lot of over the top scrutiny and I think that got to him.
        McNabb did clownish shit throughout his career. Sure it had nothing to do with his production but I think the reputation he received as a guy who wasn't as dedicated as he could be was well deserved.
        "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
          McNabb did clownish shit throughout his career. Sure it had nothing to do with his production but I think the reputation he received as a guy who wasn't as dedicated as he could be was well deserved.
          By the end of his career I think that's the case. I think it's reasonable though that the shit at the beginning contributed.

It doesn't absolve McNabb of his behavior or faults - but the refusal to run especially I think was driven by outside forces. But that's just speculation.

I think the reaction to Manziel is the bigger issue. He just won the fucking Heisman and he's getting railed whatever he does. Of course when he doesn't win it this year - because odds are he won't even if he plays well - we'll hear about how he doesn't focus on football enough, etc.

Because he didn't fucking win back-to-back Heisman Trophies.
          --
          Your Retarded

Comment

I think one reason people are getting on Johnny about it is that it was for the Manning Family Youth camp

It wasn't a "meaningless voluntary offseason QB camp" as Deadspin called it

The kids get ripped off (sort of), and the all-powerful and ever vocal Manning family isn't going to take being stiffed lightly.

Hence the manufactured shit-storm

"College kid drinks too much beer, film at 11"

Comment

Working...
            X