Phils second half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phils second half

Nationals still have the most talen but haven't shown it. Braves just aren't that good in my opinion.

On the other hand, the Phils are only...what?...four games ahead of the Mutts in the loss column?

Revere's injury hurts them but he really only gave them one great month anyway. How much have they really lost there? Brown's emergence, Rug hitting great since the call-up, Hamels coming around...

Not ready to write these guys off yet.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

The Michael Young trade makes sense.

Everyone else can stay if they can make a run

Comment

Ben Revere had one bad month ... not one good one.
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

guess i haven't been watching all that closely

I thought he raised his average 100 points in a month. I know his defense ahs sucked ass all year.
        May 7, 2010

Comment

He had a few bad games on defense ... otherwise he's fine ... albeit with a shitty arm.

Comment

Victorino spoiled me

legit gold glover. this guy not in the same galaxy defensively. I always felt shane had a chance at every ball. this guy scares me on every ball.
            May 7, 2010

Comment

I disagree ... despite some shaky games, he can run with anyone in the league and was in the conversation for best defensive centerfielders in the AL his entire (albeit short) career before he came here.

Comment

from what I've seen of him

...he takes some bizarre routes to the ball. Maybe I just need to get used to watching him out there.
                May 7, 2010

Comment

revere has the tools but bad defensive instincts.

i'm just not sure where a run would come from for this team. revere was providing a spark over the past couple weeks when they gained ground in the division, but he's out. howard had been horrible, but he was one guy that they really needed to come around. no chance of that happening now that he's out. michael young has been hot lately but he's likely to be traded. utley has played well at times, but i think from here on out we're going to see him show flashes of his 2008 self. i love that hamels is pitching well but the third through fifth starters and bullpen are shaky.

i will agree about the division though. braves have been .500 since their 12-1 start. weak division is the reason to hold out hopes that the phillies will make the postseason, at which point we can see what happens.

Comment

Saw this somewhere, for perspective:

To win 90 games, the Phillies have to win 42 out of 66 for a .637 wp (equivalent to a 103 win season)
                    To win 89 games, the Phillies have to win 41 out of 66 for a .621 wp (equivalent to a 101 win season)
                    To win 88 games, the Phillies have to win 40 out of 66 for a .606 wp (equivalent to a 98 win season)
                    To win 87 games, the Phillies have to win 39 out of 66 for a .590 wp (equivalent to a 96 win season)
                    To win 86 games, the Phillies have to win 38 out of 66 for a .576 wp (equivalent to a 93 win season)
                    To win 85 games, the Phillies have to win 37 out of 66 for a .560 wp (equivalent to a 91 win season)

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
                      Nationals still have the most talen but haven't shown it. Braves just aren't that good in my opinion.
                      This has been a real frustrating season so far in this area. All the talent in the world and high expectations. Ramos gets hurt as usual and we're playing Suzuki too much. Harper runs into an outfield wall. Strasburg gets no run support and at one point, has a 3-6 record despite an E.R.A. of 2.50.

Zimmerman suddenly becomes Chuck Knoblauch at 3rd base. I've still never figured out how he can make diving stops, throw from his knees, throw on the run after doing a bare-handed grab...and yet when he gets a routine grounder with time to throw, he suddenly becomes incapable of consistently tossing the ball to 1st.

Others have underperformed or been dinged up...and that's not even taking into account the gaping offensive hole Danny Espinosa was at 2nd for two months. Or Storen suddenly collapsing as an 8th inning guy. Or Soriano not being able to get a save without putting at least one or two runners on.

Every time the Nationals go on a 3-4 game winning streak, cut into the Braves lead, you think they're about to get it and go on one of their streaks...then they lose a series to the Marlins, or split with the Padres. It's freaking maddening.

Comment

Have the games started to count yet?

BASEBORE

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post

On the other hand, the Phils are only...what?...four games ahead of the Mutts in the loss column?

Revere's injury hurts them but he really only gave them one great month anyway. How much have they really lost there? Brown's emergence, Rug hitting great since the call-up, Hamels coming around...

Not ready to write these guys off yet.

SELL SELL SELL.

Comment

this:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...cond_half.html

Comment

Phil Mickelson's?

KG special!
                              "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Working...
                              X