Mike Florio is a hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Florio is a hack

That pretty much sums it up. He's like the bastard son of Mark Eckel and Mucus Hayes with a big Internet presence.

I found his site when he first started up. He's the Drudge of the NFL, and a big fan of football. He likes to talk about contracts because he's a lawyer. Its a fun site

Comment

What did he say that you disagree with? That's usually when people spout off about Florio. I've accepted him for what he is - a consolidator of NFL-related articles. I appreciate him for what he is.
      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I read the site a lot, but kinda hate him too. He straddles that line between blogger and official journalism that allows him to represent himself as a legitimate source when he feels like it, but then spout off complete bullshit conjecture. When called on his BS, he just throws up his hands and goes "Hey, man, I never claimed to be more than a rumor-mongering blog-guy." He also just comes off as arrogant.

On the other hand, his site revolutionized sports coverage to a certain extent. I agree with Slizz...he is what he is.

Comment

He's way more than a consolidator.

... and he's not just a journalist, he's a smart lawyer journalist. He's good.

Comment

Is he also dreamy? Why don't you and Florio get a room.
            -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

He was on 97.5 today

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
              What did he say that you disagree with? That's usually when people spout off about Florio. I've accepted him for what he is - a consolidator of NFL-related articles. I appreciate him for what he is.
              I disagreed with his questioning why Chip Kelly is getting "all this love around the league" and stating how any other new coach would never get the same loving, non-critical treatment Kelly is getting.

I must have been watching and reading articles from another planet over the last few months. While a few journalists have been slobbering over Kelly, most of what I have seen and read has healthy skepticism mixed with even more "Kelly could fall flat on his face." Florio was simply playing to the Missianelli audience and had no real basis for his claim. This is reason 1.

And like another poster stated, his "Aw shucks/I'm just a simple lawyer who loves football." shtick is lame and in direct conflict with his purported dialed-in insider role on TV and radio. He's gone from a guy who's been lucky on some scoops to the #1 RG4skin (or any other flavor of the month) cheerleader to get hits on his site. Reason 2.

Comment

How exactly did it revolutionize sports coverage?

Originally posted by Dan Drives a Van View Post
                I read the site a lot, but kinda hate him too. He straddles that line between blogger and official journalism that allows him to represent himself as a legitimate source when he feels like it, but then spout off complete bullshit conjecture. When called on his BS, he just throws up his hands and goes "Hey, man, I never claimed to be more than a rumor-mongering blog-guy." He also just comes off as arrogant.

On the other hand, his site revolutionized sports coverage to a certain extent. I agree with Slizz...he is what he is.
                If he is just a sports-story-consolidator, there have been plenty of sports-consolidating sites before, just not with NBC's money.

Comment

WTF?

You too? I can't get a break.

Comment

... and if its the lawyer part you don't like

then here's a joke I heard today at the barber shop.

How many lawyers does it take to shingle a roof?
                    Last edited by Drama Queen; 07-24-2013, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                      He's way more than a consolidator.

... and he's not just a journalist, he's a smart lawyer journalist. He's good.
                      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ame-a-starter/

That's some good shit. Groundbreaking.
                      "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

How many?
                        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Well,

it depends on how thin you slice 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            If he is just a sports-story-consolidator, there have been plenty of sports-consolidating sites before, just not with NBC's money.
                            I'm no media expert, but it just seems to me like the success of his site has led to a groundswell of football blogging.

He started with simple sports-consolidating blog focused on generating continual content, and now is making a ton of money, has crazy sponsorship on his site, and is making regular appearances on national television.

Informed football fans with a flair for writing see his success and start to see blogging as a possible money-making endeavor. Legit media outlets see his success and start to look for up-and-coming blogs to partner with. Long-time journalists see his success and start to embrace the new medium. It all combines to make for a dramatic increase in non-traditional content and an expectation among fans for a 24/7 news cycle on their favorite sport.

Like I said, I'm no expert, just observing the trends.

Comment

Flim flam Florio?
                              "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Working...
                              X