No announcement yet.

Rate this off-season from 1-10.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slizz mentioned pre-season games. Often playing well means winning them.

Do you have a point or is this more Captain Arbitrary crap? You can have an opinion of the off-season so far. Obviously its conjecture.
    Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Seems to me its all hinging on whether or not Kelly is going to be the transformational coach the front office thinks he can be. If he's this generations Bill Walsh then the Riley Cooper shit will be a foot note for the offseason, and I'd say its a 8.

Take Chip's first game as a head coach at Oregon. He takes over for the most successful coach in Oregon history. He's billed as an offensive genius and his team manages to score 8 points and muster 0 first downs at the half. He's being second guessed by his old boss who is working for ESPN, and after the game his starting RB sucker punches a player and goes apeshit and they literally have to drag him off the field before he starts fighting the fans. They go on to make the Rose Bowl that year, and play for a National Championship the next year.

Now if he's this generation's Steve Spurrier, its fair to say this offseason was a 3. Unfortunately with Kelly I get the idea its huge success or massive failure. Nothing in between.
      Last edited by eagleduck; 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
        Slizz mentioned pre-season games. Often playing well means winning them.

Do you have a point or is this more Captain Arbitrary crap? You can have an opinion of the off-season so far. Obviously its conjecture.
        Actually, final results in pre-season games are almost utterly worthless to determine success of a team.

A few of Eagles pre-season and reg. season records.

2012: 4-0 / 4-12
        2011: 3-1 / 8-8
        2010: 1-1 / 10-6
        2009: 1-3 / 11-5

The point about the pre-season is seeing what they team looks like on the field - especially with an entirely new offense, defense and coaching philosophy.

So I say the grade is incomplete. I like the Kelly hire but I know the odds are greater that is doesn't work than than it does because those are the odds for any NFL hire.
        --
        Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
          If the Eagles win the game against the Patriots, it means nothing because it's a pre-season game. If the Eagles lose, then you can come back and tell us all how Chip isn't prepared for the NFL, how bad this team is gonna suck, and how it's the first step to Chip's exit in two years to go back to college. C.Y.A 101.
          Maniac has set himself to "win" no matter the outcome of any stage of this season. He's an incredibly vocal hater of the Kelly hire. He's made it clear as much as possible.

While most fans are at least curious, even if skeptical, as to how Kelly will do he's pre-determined the outcome. And, if the Eagles somehow do succeed he'll get to enjoy it.
          --
          Your Retarded

Comment

I in no way implied you can judge the offseason by preseason wins and losses.

Just have to see how the offense functions. Are the plays getting in effectively? Are players where they're supposed to be? Are they at least moving the ball?

On D, are they getting penetration at the line? Are the DBs covering adequately?

And if they don't do this against the Patriots, it's not the end of the world, but the team needs to show some progress from one game to the next.
            -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

If you include the draft as part of the offseason

then I would say it's not that bad. I just don't think the Cooper thing will go away. The Vick and T.O. things were totally different.

Comment

Considering Chip taught Belichik and Brady everything they know I am shocked the line is just eagles -4.

time to bury my bookie!

Comment

Yep, and King Dungheap is also gone there is another +1.
                  "I feel much better now that my pants are on."- overheard conversation at a Gayte

Comment

It will go away if people (the team, the media, etc) want it to go away.
                    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                      Sure and the best time to pick a horse race is after they cross the finish line.

You gotta admit this off-season has had a stench around it. I'm not laying it all on Kelly but is he equipped to deal with it? Keeping Riley Cooper around is just begging for problems.
                      The offseason hasn't smelled rosy but I brought up 2011 for that very reason---that offseason was looking pretty damn good until they actually stepped onto the field and played the games. It is okay to have an opinion about it right now, I just don't have a very strong one and won't until it plays out on the field over the course of a season.

Comment

As far as being interesting, i would give it an 8. One thing it isn't is boring.

For the quality of football, I'll have to go with the law of averages and give it a 4 or 5. It could go either way once the games count, and it will either be very good or very bad.

Comment

I'll go with 6.

Pluses
                          1. Hiring of Chip Kelly and most of staff
                          2. Seems like a really really good draft and some better rated UDFAs
                          3. Liked the low risk quantity value free agency approach since the entire defense sucked last year.
                          4. Scrapping of Wide Nine

Minuses
                          1. Re-signing of Michael Vick
                          2. Hiring of Meh Defensive Coordinator
                          3. Maclin Injury
                          4. Cooper idiocy

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                            Yep, and King Dungheap is also gone there is another +1.
                            Also, no Nnamdi.

Comment

Since I didn't do it in my initial response, I'm going with a 7.

Coming off a 4 win season, they got their guy as a head coach. They restocked the best they could in free agency, and had a decent draft. Injuries and bone headedness aside, this team is on the right track.
                              -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

With the 23rd pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Danny Watkins, Guard - Baylor.

With the 54th pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Jaiquawn Jarrett, Safety - Temple.
                                "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Working...
                                X