Still think this D could have used James Harrison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still think this D could have used James Harrison

Thought they should have picked him up when he was available.

Would have added some toughness and experience with a 3-4.

alright
    I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

Originally posted by letmebeme View Post
      Thought they should have picked him up when he was available.

Would have added some toughness and experience with a 3-4.
      Watch Hard Knocks on HBO. He's on the Bengals now. He would have been perfect for the Iggs. They missed out...

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
        Watch Hard Knocks on HBO. He's on the Bengals now. He would have been perfect for the Iggs. They missed out...
        Are we watching the same show? On Hard Knocks, he seems anti-social, confrontational and difficult for coaches to control. I haven't seen any evidence he's interested in making his younger teammates better.

He's a great pickup for a team looking to instill some mean on defense and push the team to championship-calibur, but not for a team trying to build a culture from the ground up. I'll pass...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Drives a Van View Post
          He's a great pickup for a team looking to instill some mean on defense and push the team to championship-calibur,
          but not for a team trying to build a culture from the ground up. I'll pass...
          I don't get it. What you said first is exactly what this Defense needs ground up or not.

Comment

Originally posted by wynnron123 View Post
            I don't get it. What you said first is exactly what this Defense needs ground up or not.
            I think he means if the defense is already pretty good and they need one or two guys to just get them over the hump he's good. The Eagles need more than one or two guys for a year or two rental.
            --
            Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
              I think he means if the defense is already pretty good and they need one or two guys to just get them over the hump he's good. The Eagles need more than one or two guys for a year or two rental.
              Exactly. We're a long way off on D and so we need veterans who are willing to teach the young guys around them how to play the right way. Dawkins was that. Harrison, from the little I've seen on Hard Knocks, is not.

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                The Eagles need more than one or two guys for a year or two rental.
                Concur.
                And if the plan is to be viable in 2014, 15, 16 - then it makes no sense at all to spend limited resources on a guy who won't be there when it matters

This is the middle of the cleansing phase, the building phase is just getting started and will ramp up in the next offseason. That's when you look for leader-types with at least a couple of years left on the tires

Harrison is perfect for the Bungles, who made the playoffs and are trying to get over the AFC North hump but he makes little sense for where the Eagles are in their rebuild imo

Comment

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by wynnron123 View Post
                    This is my answer.

Comment

Exactly. We're a long way off on D and so we need veterans who are willing to teach the young guys around them how to play the right way. Dawkins was that. Harrison, from the little I've seen on Hard Knocks, is not.
                      There are different ways to lead. He does seems a little anti-social, but I'm sure the show is playing this up a bit. The young guys on the Bemgals are watching him and have a lot of respect...

Comment

Originally posted by Ground_Meat View Post
                        There are different ways to lead. He does seems a little anti-social, but I'm sure the show is playing this up a bit. The young guys on the Bemgals are watching him and have a lot of respect...
                        That's definitely true. But Marvin Lewis has already established his culture and has the respect of the team. That means Harrison can do his own thing and not undermine the culture.

The scene I'm thinking of that makes me not want him is when he gets confrontational with a coach. I'm sure established coaching staffs can have a little bit of that going on (both Zimmer and Gruden are hugely respected), but I doubt Kelly would want that from one of his veteran leaders.

Totally agree that it's a great pickup for the Bengals. Don't think he's right for us.

Comment

That's definitely true. But Marvin Lewis has already established his culture and has the respect of the team. That means Harrison can do his own thing and not undermine the culture.

The scene I'm thinking of that makes me not want him is when he gets confrontational with a coach. I'm sure established coaching staffs can have a little bit of that going on (both Zimmer and Gruden are hugely respected), but I doubt Kelly would want that from one of his veteran leaders.

Totally agree that it's a great pickup for the Bengals. Don't think he's right for us.
                          I'm sure he's pretty pissed about the Steelers getting rid of him as well. He's spent 10 years hating the Bengals, now he's playing for them. I'd bet that is where some of that attitude is coming from.

Comment

Working...
                          X