Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wasn't somebody asking about the triple option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasn't somebody asking about the triple option?

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013...triple-option/
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

That was a good read. pretty interesting, it looks like it really puts defenses in a bind. I just hope kelly continues to be innovative and creative. It would be nice seeing other teams have to make adjustments and be put in binds by the eagles for once.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
      That was a good read. pretty interesting, it looks like it really puts defenses in a bind. I just hope kelly continues to be innovative and creative. It would be nice seeing other teams have to make adjustments and be put in binds by the eagles for once.
      that was my post. I was referring more to the straddled triple option they ran sometimes out of a two back set, not this one out of the single backed, double stacked set.

it would have Vick with McCoy and Jackson lined up behind him, McCoy as the RB and Jackson as the pitchman on the option.

Oregon ran the play many times with Barner and Thomas in the backfield. You can find plenty of clips of it.

I doubt we're even seeing 10% of the actual offense the Eagles will run. This is all vanilla stuff and just getting guys used to certain things, seeing how they respond, etc...

Comment

That sounds like a triple fumble option. Hopefully I'm wrong, either way it's nice seeing a coach who at least seems to value making adjustments. I never fully understood how bad I suffered from FF fatigue syndrome (fffs) until now. Even if kelly sucks I don't care, this season is a moral win for the stealth household, no more better job, take full responsibility crap.

Comment

Kelly is using option principles on a lot of his stuff. I mean, as long as you can keep your QB from "blocking" a defensive end all the time.

Bu seriously, I was curious at first how he'd use a guy like Foles...maybe use screens and stuff outside to keep him from having to run frequently. But he's definitely more OK with the QB runs than I thought he'd be.

Kelly is relying on FAST quarterback decisions, though not necessarily COMPLICATED decisions. Vick certainly seems capable of doing it. If a QB can stay healthy -- that is, a QB of the future can stay healthy for the long term after a big financial investment -- the offense will be a pain in the ass for other teams. He sort of gets to play with house money this year...Vick is on a one-year contract and not a big financial commitment.

All the usual caveats apply...things could chance once teams have tape on the Eagles, etc. But for right now he sure as hell looks like he knows what he's doing.

-AE

Comment

Are you kidding?

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
            It would be nice seeing other teams have to make adjustments and be put in binds by the eagles for once.
            That play action deep to start every game always had defenses on their heels. Works in pop warner and works in the NFL!

Comment

I'd cut off a pinky to see Teddy Bridgewater in green. Unfortunately it's more likely to be Jets green.
              "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Even better was

Originally posted by ishimonster View Post
                That play action deep to start every game always had defenses on their heels. Works in pop warner and works in the NFL!
                the play action on 3rd and 7.

Comment

My worry is that all this hocus pocus is going to be disrupted by well designed blitzes. The jail break kind that JJ and Buddy used to design.

This is the NFL and the defensive coaches aren't idiots. Plus, they're coaching some of the best athletes in sport. They'll design ways to stop the High School Harry portions of the read option.

It's the fast pace that is the key to success, not the option plays.

Comment

Executing those blitzes against a package with a built-in screen to the sideline is really difficult, though. If someone doesn't get their hands up at the right time, it's going for big yards.
                    "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Working...
                    X