I'm late to the Jax game reaction threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm late to the Jax game reaction threads

Lane Johnson looked like shit on that inside move / sack by Miller.

1st drive by Jags vs eagles starters D: get used to it.

I'm watching it now Vick just got sacked.

Comment

Chip and Howie are putting the Dream Team back together.
      Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post

Me too.

The defense is going to get pushed around a lot. They're mostly castoffs or talented guys playing in new positions. They just don't have the horses they need yet.

Offensive line got to see some looks they hadn't seen before, which will ultimately make them better. I don't think we can underestimate how much that affected them. But I also think we saw a lot more deep passes than we'll see in the regular season.

The offense will go as Vick goes. If he's not getting the ball out quick, he's in trouble. But he's still going to be effective in the zone read plays, especially now that the OL has seen some of the stunts and scrapes they'll see more of.

-AE

Comment

The glass is half empty for me this week. Shady and vick saying they aren't showing the majority of the offense leads me to believe that chip will find creative/innovative ways to put the players in a position to fail. The dream team is picking up right where it left off at the bottom of the league in giveaways.The turnovers have to stop and they have showed no signs of slowing down.

Comment

The D is going to give up a lot of yards (maybe some points) but I think they're going to get to the QB more and Generate quite a few more turnovers than they have over the past couple of seasons.

The defensive backfield is goddamned terrifying though.
            Last edited by Ellsworth; 08-26-2013, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Good point except Miller came from the other side of the D to get the sack. The guy who made Johnson look silly on that first play was none other than our old pal, Jason Babin.

Later on, Mr 1 trick pony wasn't much of a factor. The kid learned. I see it as a positive.

edited to add -- Lane Johnson wasn't a swing and a miss like the fireman. They have a player there.
              Last edited by The Ref; 08-26-2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

The D is going to give up a lot of yards (maybe some points) but I think they're going to get to the QB more and Generate quite a few more turnovers than they have over the past couple of seasons.

The defensive backfield is goddamned terrifying though.
                Yeah, I'm really hoping Wolff's mistakes are try-hard errors and he settles in. CB is basically a wasteland, though.

I'm also interested to see how well Cole plays OLB once the real games start. I think he's really going to get targeted a lot -- teams will be working to get him on an island.

Davis has his work cut out for him, scheme-wise.

-AE

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstealth View Post
                  The glass is half empty for me this week. Shady and vick saying they aren't showing the majority of the offense leads me to believe that chip will find creative/innovative ways to put the players in a position to fail. The dream team is picking up right where it left off at the bottom of the league in giveaways.The turnovers have to stop and they have showed no signs of slowing down.
                  The turnovers sucked and we're pretty much going to have to go into every game thinking Vick's going to throw a dumb ball or somebody's going to put the ball on the ground at least once. It's almost a given.

Defenses are going to keep giving different looks and trying to disrupt what Kelly is trying to do. The problem isn't going to be that he gets solved, necessarily, it's that the offensive unit is going to have to figure out how to get it done on the fly.

What I mean is, the stuff that flummoxed the offense a little early in the Jags game was sort of rudimentary when it comes to defending a zone read scheme. There wasn't anything Kelly hasn't seen. But the players haven't had to execute the offense against all that stuff (in particular the OL, with limited hitting and the defense trying to get all its own problems sorted out in practice), so there are going to times when they're out of position.

Here's a good example from Eagles 24/7 on the scrape technique:
                  http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013...agles-offense/

Herremans missed his block, dude made the tackle on Vick. If he gets a piece of the LB, though, it's a big gain. The more of this stuff he sees, the better he's going to get at making sure he gets the guy like he's supposed to.

Defending the zone read (and any option look, really) is about assignment football. Teams are going to vary their looks and methods of attacking the Eagles offense so as not to be too predictable. But as the offense sees more, they'll get better at recognizing what's going on and better execute their responsibilities.

-AE

Comment

Just double checked and that is correct. Babin beat him with spin move and was first there/flushed Vick out and Miller got him from behind.

Watched rest of first half. Lane did very very well from there on.
                    Herremans looks god awful.

Comment

Yeah I don't know what happened to him I heard he has some ankle trouble but he looks very weak on run and pass plays.
                      On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

eagles O will need to be close to 30 a game to compensate for the D

again

Comment

Working...
                        X