Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Pot legalization all but inevitable now

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/us...laws.html?_r=0

The key takeaway from the Fed announcement is that banks will now be more willing to do business with pot dispensaries and growers. Before this, most banks would not touch the marijuana business for fear of prosecution under Federal statutes. Not even allowing credit cards to be used at the medical dispensaries. (at least here in california). This created a cash only business, making it ripe for abuse and criminal activity.

We'll have to wait and see if the Feds will really be hands off. But if so, the tide will turn very, very quickly. The next election will see a number of pot initiatives in states that have ballot initiatives.

It's the next gay marriage with long standing opposition among the citizens changing rapidly toward acceptance. And, when states start seeing revenue and jobs generated, they will line up one by one to legalize the herb.

That, in turn, will reduce prison populations nationwide, also aiding state budget balancing. I suspect the hardest lobbying against this to be from the private prison industry.

It will at some point in time fix a really stupid ban on Industrial Hemp, one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

Comment

I dont know, man, you had me until...

...the part about reducing the prison population.

How many inmates do you think are incarcerated just for weed possession or distribution? Most law enforcement agencies stopped arresting for simple possession.

Im sure there is weed involved with many arrested for other, more serious offenses, but legalization of the ganja would not affect those people.

I do agree they have to make it legal.

Too much money for the government to make not to do it.
      Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
      May 7, 2010

Comment

You'd be surprised.
        "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post

How many inmates do you think are incarcerated just for weed possession or distribution? Most law enforcement agencies stopped arresting for simple possession.

Im sure there is weed involved with many arrested for other, more serious offenses, but legalization of the ganja would not affect those people.

Nearly 1 in 8 just for pot possession in US prisons. One marijuana arrest every 42 seconds in the US in 2012. Estimates claim 1 -3 billion dollars annually just for police work and processing, even if the person does not go to jail.

Small ball dealers are also prosecuted. It has to stop, and now it likely will.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post

You are absolutely right. I guess probation/parolees can be re-arrested for possession on weed, but they were convicted of something worse. Usually it's not a bad thing to keep them off the streets.

The bigger issue is the federal government deciding which laws to enforce or not.
            It IS About Me Asshole
            -----------------------
            Fuck off, moron. - Kelly Green

Comment

I have heard similar things from the Local PD

My twins will be 18 In Jan,,,their Bf's are all older of course, and they tell me the cops just laugh at Pot now and tell them in 3 years this wont matter anymore...still I tell the younger guys,,,dont be stupid,,dont carry a huge glass bowl in the car and for Godsake dont smoke Skunk while parked,,,fucing Nimrods!
              Last edited by TRENT; 08-30-2013, 12:54 PM.
              OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
              "BFTR"

Comment

It's ready downgrades to a $250 fine, confiscation, and mandatory classes. Guy I know at work who smokes like a fiend got caught with some at a traffic stop and is going through that now. NC only state in south with loose laws on weed now I believe. Never thought I'd see the day.

Comment

I hear Tenn is pretty laid back

really it should just be a ticket,,WTF U need classes for?

Like alcohol classes?

if you drink,,dont drive,,drinking in excess is Bad!!!!

what a joke
                  OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                  "BFTR"

Comment

Rocky Mountain high

Just the beginning. Think about it. If you were a 20 year old dope smoking hippie in 1968, you're 65 now. How could this have taken so long?

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
                      It's ready downgrades to a $250 fine, confiscation, and mandatory classes. Guy I know at work who smokes like a fiend got caught with some at a traffic stop and is going through that now. NC only state in south with loose laws on weed now I believe. Never thought I'd see the day.
                      Even when it's legal people will be busted for pot in the car while driving. That's as dumb as drinking a beer in the car. The analog is with alcohol. Your alcohol behavior and the laws surrounding booze will be similar with pot. Consume responsibly and you'll be okay, consume like a knucklehead and get your ass thrown behind bars... Just like a drunk.

Comment

He wasn't smoking in his car. Just had it on him in pocket. Cops smelled it.

Comment

While I don't think smoking and driving is necessarily a good idea, it's not impairing in the way that alcohol is. I agree that the punishment will be the same, though.
                          "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
                            ... it's not impairing in the way that alcohol is.

Clearly you aren't smoking the right kind of weed :D

Comment

WTF?

Why do you give a shit about pot smokers and fags so much! Didn't California put it to vote and the majority of you fucks said that guys sucking guys was wrong and disgusting?

Just because homos are wired incorrectly at berth or choose to be perverted sick fucks, it doesn't mean the government should give credence to their warped-ass life style... like they should be looked at as a respectable benchmark for our society. What's wrong with you!?

...and don't get me started on bull dykes.

Pot Smokers? That shit is worse for your lungs than cigarettes...and you call yourself a health nut? Fuckin' smelly ass dirt balls smoke pot. Shaggy from Scooby Doo is a dirty-ass smelly fuck. You want people walking around in public looking like that smelly ass?

Yeah. That's a great way to drive GNP... let people get stoned legally and eat their fuckin' faces off.

This country is so fucked.

Comment

Working...
                              X