Chip may not be High School Harry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip may not be High School Harry

But he's got to get his head out of college.

I'd have blistered FF if he had managed the clock the way Chip did on the last drive, so it's only fair that I do so for Chip. Hell, I'd bet my house that even the FF wouldn't have run another play before the two-minute warning after Jackson's catch.

As it was, things couldn't have gone much worse. (1) Incomplete pass, (2) knocking Vick out of the game -- and not using a time out to keep him on the field -- requiring (3) a second play be run before the two minute warning, this being a fade thrown by the backup on his first play in to the smallest receiver on the field, so that (4) SD gets the ball back with 1:45 left and all of its time outs.

When asked after the game, Chip said the Eagles were trying to score a touchdown there, not a field goal. I don't think even FF would be that shameless as to make that statement. Two minutes and 3 timeouts is an eternity to try to score a touchdown.

Yesterday was Chip's first test of clock management. He failed. I am frustrated. I'll bet there isn't another coach in the NFL who wouldn't have run the clock down to two minutes. Peyton, Eli, Tom Brady would have told their coaches to go to hell if they tried.

It really is indefensible. I'd rather hear Chip say "I've got to do a better job there" then try to defend himself.
    Last edited by RSE; 09-16-2013, 08:43 AM.

I feel the exact same way. You cannot give the ball back to SD with more than 4 seconds left and expect to win. Not with this defense.

He completely fucked that up, no question. He should have let the clock hit 2 minute warning and regrouped/figured it out. SD would have probably still marched down the field and scored a TD vs this defense even if they had 0 timeouts and had to go 99 yards in 1 minute. If eagles ran on 1st down, short gain, timeout SD...probably 1:50 left, worst case. Run again and score, probably 1:40 left or timeout #2......3rd and goal....run again and score probably 1:30 left, run and come up short, SD takes 3rd timeout. Eagles kick FG, take 3 point lead, 1:25 left and no SD timeouts.

If eagles ran 3 plays and made them use their TO's and then kicked the FG, SD would have had plenty of time to still march against that non existent pass D. 1 minute to go 40-50 yards vs that D was easy yesterday but you still have to make SD DO IT and not give them all that time and 3 freaking timeouts (4 if you count the stupid ass play at 2:03 so the 2 minute warning helped them as well).

Comment

Instead of 1st and 10 with 2 minutes to go and in control of the situation, he was 3d and 10 with 2 minutes to go and limited.

The Mannings and Brady would have told him to go to hell?

Every person in my section would have.

This is right there with choosing to kick off in overtime when it used to be sudden death.
      Last edited by slag; 09-16-2013, 09:04 AM.
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

SD only had 2 timeouts left.

Comment

There's no two minute warning in college. I have no idea if that has anything to do with his clock management there, but it kind of makes you think. Plus the clock would have stopped after Jackson's catch.

Comment

haha, wow. that makes it unforgivable!

Comment

And Davis's defense was so feckless that SD got down inside the Eagles' 30 before they even would have had to use one.

Comment

jackson helped give them a shorter field with his bullshit penalthy that was assessed on the KO as well.

it was an extremely frustrating ending however the D was frustrating (infuriating??) to watch from the get go. absolutely no pass rush and they threw 8-12 yarders to the middle of the field the entire day and not once did the eagles stop them.

3rd downs, never made a play there or stopped them either. I think they punted once in the entire game. ONCE!!!

Comment

When they got to the 14 the first thing I did was lower my binoculars and look at was the play clock and the game clock to verify they could run it to the warning.

The first FUCKING thing!
                  Last edited by slag; 09-16-2013, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic just ripped Chip on ESPN radio for this. Good. He needs to learn from this. I hated when 67,000 in the Linc knew what to do and FF didn't, and I was hoping those days were over.

Comment

I guess we'll see if he learns from this. He needs to lean on Shurmur in those situations.
                      "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Chip screwed it up big for sure. No question about it. It was dumb not to milk the clock while trying to go for the TD, and at worse, kick a field goal to get the game to overtime. When your D can't stop anyone, you don't give the ball back to the other team with plenty of time to drive down and kick a winning FG. He was stupid. His clock management sux.

But then again, it's his 2nd game in the NFL with the 2 minute warning rule. Hopefully he'll learn in the future. The test will be to see if he will learn from this mistake as FF has proven that he's incapable of learning!

Comment

Now the story is that Whisenhunt might've known Davis' calls because Davis coached under Whisenhunt in Arizona. I think the safeties just suck ass.
                          "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

If Chip can't adjust, he's got to go. I don't care how many points his offense can score
                            WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
                              jackson helped give them a shorter field with his bullshit penalthy that was assessed on the KO as well.

it was an extremely frustrating ending however the D was frustrating (infuriating??) to watch from the get go. absolutely no pass rush and they threw 8-12 yarders to the middle of the field the entire day and not once did the eagles stop them.

3rd downs, never made a play there or stopped them either. I think they punted once in the entire game. ONCE!!!
                              I'm not sure which ko you're talking about, but that penalty was after an earlier TD. HUGE penalty though. Without that penalty SD possibly takes a touchback. Instead after the return and fumble they get the ball at the iggles 39. They probably score either way, but if they start at our 20 they take more time, possibly making Chip's clock management a non-issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X