Kelly leaving too much time on the clock,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly leaving too much time on the clock,

at the end of the San Diego game and was criticized by some about it. I saw this article and just thought the guy is learning pretty fast.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/...ders-breakdown

The Notebook: Home field embarrassment
    By Stephen White on Oct 16 2013, 12:48p 1

Eagles head coach and, for all intents and purposes, offensive coordinator, Chip Kelly, put Buccaneers defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan in clown shoes at the end of their game on Sunday.

Let me set the stage for you. The Eagles got the ball with 8:03 left in the fourth quarter and holding an eight-point lead, 28-20, over the winless Buccaneers. That's a one possession game when you factor in the potential for a two-point conversion, so the Bucs defense had to try to fight to force a three-and-out or at the least force a punt to give their offense a chance to win the game. Eight minutes is usually a lot of time, but it goes without saying the Eagles would try to run the ball to milk the clock, something somewhat foreign to Kelly's fast paced offense, or try to score. The Eagles began the drive on their own 45-yard line, which is pretty good field position.

Now that the stage is set, I just need to explain one more thing to you. When I say "tackle over," that means one of the offensive tackles has lined up on the opposite side of the center than he usually does. Teams do this at times for a variety of reasons, but generally it's a change0up that is sprinkled in just to catch a team off guard. If I say "tackle over right" that means the left tackle, in this case Jason Peters, lined up on the right side. That leaves a tight end and a guard on the left side of the center. And vice versa if I say "tackle over left".

Here's tackle over right on first-and-10. The yellow arrow points to Peters.

Eaglestackleoverright_medium

I am going to list the formations in order that the Eagles lined up in from this point in the game until they didn't have the ball anymore. Without getting too technical I'll also tell you if they ran (and which side they ran to) or if they passed.

1. Tackle over right. Run right.

2. Tackle over right. Run left cutback.

3. Tackle over right. Run right.

4. Tackle over left. Run right.

5. Tackle over left. Run right.

6. Tackle over left. Run left.

7. Tackle over left. Run right.

8. Tackle over right. Run middle.

9. Tackle over right. Hard count, Bucs jump offsides.

10. Normal two tight end formation. Run left.

11. Tackle over left. Run right.

12. Tackle over left. Run left.

Now here is the yardage gained on those plays: 6, 2, 4, 8, 9, 2, 6, 1, 5, 2, -4, 8.

Do you notice a pattern here?

At the end of those 12 plays, the Eagles had run the clock all the way down to 2:38. Perhaps more important than that, they got all the way down to the Bucs 6-yard line. That was plenty close for the field goal that ended up putting the game out of reach. They probably could have scored a touchdown if they wanted, but I'm sure Kelly was having too much fun watching Sheridan try to find an answer to his running game and repeatedly coming up short.

Maybe I haven't made it clear to you but a team lining up in tackle over is a rare occurrence. I have seen a team run tackle over a handful of times in a game, but I don't think I've ever seen a team do it 11 out of 12 plays on a drive where they had their full complement of offensive linemen and tight ends. This was an embarrassment of immense proportions that a team would basically line up play after play after play, essentially pointing across the field at Sheridan to say "Yep, here it comes again. Now try to stop it!" ... on the Buccaneers' home field.

Losing happens. The Bucs are 0-5, and they lost several games right at the end. However, getting embarrassed is a whole other animal, and for me, it wasn't the players who got embarrassed in this situation, but the defensive coordinator who never could come up with an answer.
    Last edited by Eagle Road; 10-16-2013, 02:01 PM.

Just a matter of protocol, post the link when you post from an article.
    --
    Your Retarded

Comment

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
      Just a matter of protocol, post the link when you post from an article.

Fixed it, hadn't realized I had cut it off, was trying to avoid copying the picture that was at the top of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
        The Eagles got the ball with 8:03 left in the fourth quarter and holding an eight-point lead, 28-20, over the winless Buccaneers.
        Chip Kelly seems to be targeting that eight point lead in the fourth quarter. He got it against the Giants and then against the Bucs. While it is a one possession game it still forces the opponent to convert for two points in order to tie the game.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Kelly go for two the next time the Eagles break a tie with a TD in the second half of a game.
        "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

It's a good strategy but I'm doubtful the Giants win happens if Eli doesn't look like refried dog poop in the 4th quarter.

Comment

Green?

agreed
            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Working...
            X