Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So will Foles be a star in the league???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You also have to consider the pace that they were playing at. If you can't stop our offense in the first few drives, your defense is going to get gassed and look bad.

I'm not saying the Raiders played well, but Foles took advantage of mistakes which is what good QB's do.
    "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
      You also have to consider the pace that they were playing at. If you can't stop our offense in the first few drives, your defense is going to get gassed and look bad.

I'm not saying the Raiders played well, but Foles took advantage of mistakes which is what good QB's do.
      nah, they didn't play well...but can't fault him for guys falling down...he still had to make the throw...not throw it short or anything else.

can't say that the guy would have batted down the ball on the long td pass to cooper because he got his feet tangled up and fell so who knows if he could have knocked it down.

on the pass to desean...the corner did fall...but the corner was also beaten and was trying to hold when he fell down because desean was going to scorch him. he got a flag for holding as well.

i am interested to see how he does against press coverage. against the cowboys...guys were open...and foles just missed them wildly.

they had kelce on the radio this morning and he said that foles played p!ssed...well, as p!ssed as he could get. kelce said that since that dallas game he's been studying harder and everything else. i'm wondering if he started thinking he smelled awesome before the dallas game and wasn't as prepared as he should have been.
      “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

Originally posted by AnnapolisEagle View Post
        I'm still not sold. I saw several busted coverages by the Raiders (corners twice fell down on TD passes and then they just didn't cover McCoy on that swing pass). A couple deep balls were definitely thrown on the money but easily could have been broken up by the DB (the deep post to Cooper where the corner fell down and the long pass to DeSean that set up another score).
        Blasphemer! Foles is going to Canton and he's taking Coop with him.
        Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

I've always been on the Vick bandwagon

But I understand he's not the long term answer here. I want Foles to succeed and excel. I'm tired of hearing about OTHER TEAMS' quarterbacks. I want a quarterback that plays for the Eagles that people mention when they talk about the best qb's in the league.
          The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by AnnapolisEagle View Post
            I want to see him play a couple good games against a team that plays a lot of man coverage. Fortunately for him, the best defense they face the rest of the way is Arizona.
            Capers will play some man coverage against a non-running QB so you may see a bit of that this weekend. Capers defense counts on lots of substitution and checks at the LOS - Chips offense stresses that immensely, which exposes guys like ILB AJ Hawk or OLB Mike Neal in coverage. Shady should have some room to roam on RB passes

Comment

Originally posted by nerd View Post
              i think you can say that about most qb's though. i mean, watching what brady did against the steelers...people are like, "brady is back"...i watch the steelers every week...their defense is really, really terrible. they were blowing assignments left and right.

i just think that for the most part...the really good qb's can see the mistakes and react quickly and get the ball there...and two...for the most part...they have wideouts that make plays for them.
              Oh, he absolutely took advantage of mistakes. I'm not trying to knock him at all. It was nice to see him nail the big plays when they were there -- something he obviously didn't do against Dallas (that wormburner to Avant is still killing me).

Comment

nah, they didn't play well...but can't fault him for guys falling down...he still had to make the throw...not throw it short or anything else.

can't say that the guy would have batted down the ball on the long td pass to cooper because he got his feet tangled up and fell so who knows if he could have knocked it down.

on the pass to desean...the corner did fall...but the corner was also beaten and was trying to hold when he fell down because desean was going to scorch him. he got a flag for holding as well.

i am interested to see how he does against press coverage. against the cowboys...guys were open...and foles just missed them wildly.

they had kelce on the radio this morning and he said that foles played p!ssed...well, as p!ssed as he could get. kelce said that since that dallas game he's been studying harder and everything else. i'm wondering if he started thinking he smelled awesome before the dallas game and wasn't as prepared as he should have been.
                I'm not trying to pooh-pooh Foles on those deep balls. He put the ball on the money, it was caught, Eagles had a big play. I just thought they were unexpectedly fortunate that none of those closely covered passes were broken up.

Comment

More important than the cornerbacks falling down was the time Foles had. I've always thought he would be fine if they kept him clean. Let's see him take a half dozen hits and stay focused.
                  Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by j1mmy View Post
                    All due respect to the suggestion that he is Arena League talent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...g_quarterbacks

No way he's not top third in this crew. Factor in guys rolling off in next 2-3 years - Manning, Brady, Rothelsblahblah....
                    That list is meaningless.

You have to look at ALL QBs 30 and under. That includes backups and players currently in college.

At the top of that list you have premier talents in Rodgers and Luck. Then you have the guys who have been winning in the league for a few years in Ryan and Flacco. Then you have the guys who have plus skills and have shown flashes of premier talent, like RG3, Kaepernick, Stafford, Newton and Wilson. This group is sure to expand with Manziel, Mariotta, Bridgewater, Boyd, Hundley and Winston entering the league in the next two seasons. Not all of these college players will make it but a few will.

That's fifteen guys, sixteen if you throw in Jake Locker who seems to have a bit more upside than Foles.

Right now, Foles is middle of the road compared to the competition. He's right alongside Andy Dalton, Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith in the group of guys who you can win with but aren't going to win FOR YOU. To me that is the type of QB Foles is going to end up becoming. It's not a bad group of players. These guys can start on a weekly basis in the NFL but they could just as easily be backups.

It all comes down to risk v. reward.

Should the Eagles maneuver to get a high-upside prospect like Manziel or Marriotta or should they stand pat with a guy who doesn't have many warts but doesn't jump off the screen as doing any one thing exceptionally well?

It's a hard question I don't think too many people have a clear answer to.
                    "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

i watch a ton of baltimore games and i can't put him in the elite group. he's trent dilfer...he's really fucking terrible.

or even the just below elite group. i still have no idea how he won a superbowl...he's really awful.

kaepernick stinks outloud. if it weren't for that defense that team would be god awful. he's got a really good arm and can throw...but he's as wild as can be when he throws the ball.
                      Last edited by nerd; 11-08-2013, 01:53 PM.
                      “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

i watch a ton of baltimore games and i can't put him in the elite group. he's trent dilfer...he's really fucking terrible.

or even the just below elite group. i still have no idea how he won a superbowl...he's really awful.
                        Defenses wins

Comment

i hope someone else takes manziel so we don't have to watch him run around and throw picks left and right in the nfl.

that running around and then chucking up the ball for a prayer won't work in the nfl.

i'm just not sold...he looks middle of the pack if anything.

Comment

i hope someone else takes manziel so we don't have to watch him run around and throw picks left and right in the nfl.

that running around and then chucking up the ball for a prayer won't work in the nfl.

i'm just not sold...he looks middle of the pack if anything.
                            Dude, you tipped you're hand that you're talking out your ass without really watching these players. Manziel is one precise passer. He moves the offense down the field with a surgeon's precision.

Just for kicks here's the comparison:

Nick Foles (Arizona) 67% 67 TD 33 Int
                            Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) 70%, 52 TD 17 Int
                            Last edited by J_Cuz31; 11-08-2013, 02:05 PM.
                            "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                              More important than the cornerbacks falling down was the time Foles had. I've always thought he would be fine if they kept him clean. Let's see him take a half dozen hits and stay focused.
                              He did have good protection. I was impressed with the way he moved in the pocket, though. That 3rd and 15 completion to Jackson was a good example. I also liked that he scrambled a couple times and kept the ball on a zone read.

The zone read (and the zone read fake) are HUGELY important aspects of what Kelly is doing, which is why the consensus is that he needs a mobile quarterback. I think people get it a little twisted about HOW mobile, though. He doesn't have to be someone who will go 60 yards at the drop of a hat, he just needs to be able to get 6 yards if it's there.

What kills this offense (and any offense, really) are zero- and negative-yardage plays. If Kelly's QB can get 4 yards by pulling the ball when handing off would get the RB stuffed at the line, the offense will be fine. Foles, fortunately, is a big sturdy dude. If he's mobile enough to keep the read guy from diving down on McCoy, Kelly's numbers-game strategy works.

-AE

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cuz31 View Post
                                Dude, you tipped you're hand that you're talking out your ass without really watching these players. Manziel is one precise passer. He moves the offense down the field with a surgeon's precision.

Just for kicks here's the comparison:

Nick Foles (Arizona) 67% 67 TD 33 Int
                                Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) 70%, 52 TD 17 Int
                                i'll tip my hand. i think he will stink in the nfl.

he has a barely average arm, he isn't 6'1" 210 and he plays playground football too much.

great college player...don't see him being more than an okay back up in the nfl. i'm wrong, i'm wrong...but there is nothing i see that is amazing for the nfl.

i've also watched 4 games of his this year...and every game i'm thinking, "that would be picked off". he had 1 against ole miss and it should have been 2 or 3 more.
                                Last edited by nerd; 11-08-2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X