Question for the practicing Lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the practicing Lawyers

As a 47 year old in the Government Public Policy Major in my junior year I am looking for some advice in so far as which would be a more advantageous career path: Would a Law degree at age 55 be a wise and fulfilling 10-15 year journey to make it worth the cost and job market? There seems to be a current glut of lawyers.

Verses enrolling in a JD/Masters Public Policy program? I am thinking Advocacy/ Conflict Resolution. Again would a masters in this dual area be overkill for a 15 year career? would a Law practice even look to hire someone with this type of back ground?

I have experience in Food, Purchasing, Policy creation, hiring and training with degree's in Cooking/Baking and Business Administration. As a student at UB in Maryland I will need to decide by the end of this semester to work on LSAT or GMAT prep over the summer and apply by fall of 14.

I am unsure if continuing my education past a BA degree is going to raise the level of salary vs. cost and I am trying to get into Government at some level once finished...

Get your BA

Don't continue your education past that unless you are independently wealthy and have a curiosity about some field of study.

Comment

You wanna start a new career at 55?

Eff that. My next career is "pro" golfer/fisherman/hunter/biker/etc
      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

I'm not sure the ROI is worth it

Originally posted by Neumans own View Post
        As a 47 year old in the Government Public Policy Major in my junior year I am looking for some advice in so far as which would be a more advantageous career path: Would a Law degree at age 55 be a wise and fulfilling 10-15 year journey to make it worth the cost and job market? There seems to be a current glut of lawyers.

Verses enrolling in a JD/Masters Public Policy program? I am thinking Advocacy/ Conflict Resolution. Again would a masters in this dual area be overkill for a 15 year career? would a Law practice even look to hire someone with this type of back ground?

I have experience in Food, Purchasing, Policy creation, hiring and training with degree's in Cooking/Baking and Business Administration. As a student at UB in Maryland I will need to decide by the end of this semester to work on LSAT or GMAT prep over the summer and apply by fall of 14.

I am unsure if continuing my education past a BA degree is going to raise the level of salary vs. cost and I am trying to get into Government at some level once finished...
        A lot of law firms aren't hiring anywhere near the number of first year associates they used to. And I'm not sure even if you get one of those jobs whether you are going to want to work like a dog the way they make you. I wouldn't. Better off getting your MBA and making some major hay on the Street or with a consulting firm. You work like a dog there too, but you can make real coin.
        DB

Comment

I agree with this post. And also Zoli's.

Comment

My soon to be new career will be skiing, hiking, boating.

Comment

Here is my thinking:

The State of MD is picking up the cost of tuition, books, fees and so forth do to my disability. I am working with the Department of Rehabilitation who will also assist with finding a career afterwards.

At current income levels I would need to earn in the Mid-40's to 50's full time in something I would not regret doing to make it worth while. My retirement is set and I do not have to concern myself with Income: Thanks to my Parents. My Wife is a school teacher with 17 years left before she can retire. Our Oldest daughter is going off to college next year and Lizzy is a 9th grader.

I really only went back to school because being retired for 7 years I was bored and need to find something to do. You do not realize how much time you have when you have nothing to do. I am looking for part time advocacy work in a law firm or non-profit.
              I have nothing but time so continuing my education at 12 credits a semester for the next several years.

Would I be able to find employment with just a BA giving my experience?

Comment

CAUTION my $.02

Law School is a total marriage killer requiring 100% commitment. Fam won't understand why you have to study every sat/sun instead of going to Mx's or Horse etc at Fells point and drinking your face off.

As far as the dual degree thing, you'll be so sick on contracts, property civ pro, evidence, biz org, torts, tax etc. you will say fuck it....

If you like it - go for it, but realize you'll being going (i assume UMBC) at night. 6 - 10 3 nights a week and saturdays for 4 years. Tons of work with a bunch of total cut throat shitheads and 25% people you'd actually respect and admire. Unless you got juice or affirm action help that policy crap is out the window. You'll be stuck doing the conflict list in PG county - then you become a republican - then you're Ed Shifley at your own funeral - don't be Ed Shifley..

But if you're good in school at the top top of the class you can write your own ticket. But you aren't going to know shit for at least 5 years in. And if its free and you got the time - but you better like it.

Personally if it was free I'd do something I could do from home, something brain dead...

Comment

25% is pretty high

Originally posted by Clemson Foreaker View Post
                  Law School is a total marriage killer requiring 100% commitment. Fam won't understand why you have to study every sat/sun instead of going to Mx's or Horse etc at Fells point and drinking your face off.

As far as the dual degree thing, you'll be so sick on contracts, property civ pro, evidence, biz org, torts, tax etc. you will say fuck it....

If you like it - go for it, but realize you'll being going (i assume UMBC) at night. 6 - 10 3 nights a week and saturdays for 4 years. Tons of work with a bunch of total cut throat shitheads and 25% people you'd actually respect and admire. Unless you got juice or affirm action help that policy crap is out the window. You'll be stuck doing the conflict list in PG county - then you become a republican - then you're Ed Shifley at your own funeral - don't be Ed Shifley..

But if you're good in school at the top top of the class you can write your own ticket. But you aren't going to know shit for at least 5 years in. And if its free and you got the time - but you better like it.

Personally if it was free I'd do something I could do from home, something brain dead...
                  Based on my experience.
                  DB

Comment

Haha yup.
                    "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

If you think you'd enjoy advocacy work, I'd keep options open, go for the GMAT (Hey, I took that in 1975!) after you explore options with just the BA, and the experience you have. If you're set for the future, and the State will pay for the Education - and will they do so if you go for an MBA - and your wife will get a nice pension - my good High School buddy is a retired teacher from N. Harford County Schools in MD., and gets a nice pension- but Mr. Dim has good points, and all that time and effort for a Law degree, done at 55, and it would take till you're 60 to gain experience to be more "independent", and that's more time. I'd think some non-profits would be interested in you with a BA with experience, and that should be checked out, so you get doing things in a few years. I believe, depending on where, that an MBA is less work than a Law Degree, and you probably would not want to miss much of the last 2 years of your kid in High School.
                      Also, I would listen to the notes above regarding Lawyers and how some are. Or many.
                      I have avoided Lawyers most of my life, as they are too much dominated by thinking of conflict, not business. But hey, I have nothing against them, the many on this board MUST be good guys, as they are all fellow Eagles fans. But I'd check out things with just a BA first, and if desired, go the GMAT route. That was my personal choice in 1975, as Schoolteachers changing professions have just the two choices - law or Business. Good luck.

Comment

There were 365 people in my law school class

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                        Haha yup.
                        One for every day of the year. And there are maybe three of them to whom I would go for legal advice.

One was David E. Kelly. He was painfully shy in law school. I should've hung out with him.

DB
                        DB

Comment

Working...
                        X