Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wi-fi range extenders / signal boosters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wi-fi range extenders / signal boosters?

Anybody know anything about these things and have a recommendation? I'd like to get a stronger signal on the far side of the house. Thanks.

What device do you have now? Make model number.

http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-y...epeater#config
    Last edited by Dolomite; 01-10-2014, 06:23 PM. Reason: add url

Comment

Range extenders do seem to work pretty well, from my experience. Probably your best bet unless you want to run some cable through the attic and set up a second wireless access point on the other side of the house.
      "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Netgear, no idea what model number

NM

Comment

I am running a Netgear range extender. I am not a big tech guy and the electronics shop helped me with the purchase. I am running as line of site extender and the signal is about 75 yds away, it runs great. Good signal throughout my house.
          Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

Try those wrappers on hot pockets

Online plans for making extender that goes on antenna on wireless with the hot pocket foil wrapper

Comment

We have used an amped wireless repeater in the past, it seemed to work well. Full disclosure, my wife set it up so I really couldn't tell you how difficult it is to install.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                Anybody know anything about these things and have a recommendation? I'd like to get a stronger signal on the far side of the house. Thanks.
                The range extenders work OK and they are not to hard to set up. If you can run a cat 5e run from your router to where you would like your other access point I would get another router.

If you go this route connect a computer to the second router before install and go into your settings by typing the router IP address (192.168.1.1) into your browser. Then change that router to a different IP ( I would use (192.168.1.2). Then change the channels the router broadcasts in. You will need to go into the first router and do this as well. You will want 7 channels of seperation between the two routers.

Comment

Originally posted by harls View Post
                  The range extenders work OK and they are not to hard to set up. If you can run a cat 5e run from your router to where you would like your other access point I would get another router.

If you go this route connect a computer to the second router before install and go into your settings by typing the router IP address (192.168.1.1) into your browser. Then change that router to a different IP ( I would use (192.168.1.2). Then change the channels the router broadcasts in. You will need to go into the first router and do this as well. You will want 7 channels of seperation between the two routers.
                  I forgot to mention if you go this route you plug into one of the land ports on the second router and you must turn DHCP off while you are in the settings of the second router.

Going with a second router is nice because if your main one dies you have one that can get you running in a pinch. And the second router acts as a switch if you have anything to connect wired where you put it.

Comment

I have 2 linksys n300's and they work really well, ones in my garage and I can get a pretty good signal the full 360ft length of my yard. Also extremely easy to setup, I have used netgear and they are the worst to setup but still work ok.
                    On Trumps handicap

“If Trump is a 2.8, Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter,” Reilly wrote

Comment

Originally posted by harls View Post
                      If you can run a cat 5e run from your router to where you would like your other access point I would get another router.

This is exactly what I do in my house and it works well.

Comment

Originally posted by QuakeTen View Post
                        This is exactly what I do in my house and it works well.
                        one of the benefits of having 2 ( or more) routers hooked up this way is you will have increased speeds over using a wireless repeater.

Comment

Setting them up as routers is preferable. In my case I had to use repeaters in my old home since my cable modem was in my finished basement and there was no way I could run Ethernet up stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolomite View Post
                            Setting them up as routers is preferable. In my case I had to use repeaters in my old home since my cable modem was in my finished basement and there was no way I could run Ethernet up stairs.
                            You can use a Ethernet over power line adapter to use two routers and not need to mess up your basement. You just ant to research as some of the power line adapters are not very good.

Comment

Working...
                            X