OT : Good thing "law abiding citizens" get to carry their guns around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
    I don't believe he was thinking even that far ahead, I believe he made an emotional choice, panicked, and allowed his anger/ frustration to get to take over.

Stupid way to end your senior days after a lifetime career serving as an police officer protecting the public.
    I don't know about that...

The prosecutor in the case told the judge that investigators had received a call from another concerned moviegoer who said Reeves had once followed her to the bathroom over her texting.
    Sounds like it was his pet peeve and he looked to start shit, while always keeping his piece handy.
    "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Who said they haven't tried?

My only pont was the "outrage" of the original poster is ridiculously misplaced when focused on people that have conceal carry firearms permits as a major problem in the US.
      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
        My only pont was the "outrage" of the original poster is ridiculously misplaced when focused on people that have conceal carry firearms permits as a major problem in the US.
        You know full well that some young, white father getting killed at a movie theater generates way more sympathy with the public than some guy getting gunned down in the "hood."

You're going to use the most impactful examples available if you're any good at marketing. A guy checking on his daughter while out for movie night with the wife is something that everyone can relate to.
        "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

You said:

Criminals illegally carrying guns commit gun violence crimes every day - but anti-gun nuts don't seem to care about them.
          So I guess your point was anti-gun people have made serious efforts to solve a problem they don't care about?

Comment

Again, what are you talking about ?

When did I say anything about people with concealed carry permits as a major problem ? How many times do I have to say that I'm not anti-gun, nor am I anti CCW. However, this is the issue you create when you allow people into public places with firearms. One guy gets mad another guy, words are exchanged, it gets physical, and all of a sudden, a wife is a widow, and her child is fatherless.
            The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Interesting read, innocent till proven guilty my ass.

http://tbo.com/list/columns-tjackson...land-20140112/

Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland
              Photos

John Filippidis, showing the pistol he sometimes carries in his pocket, recounted a story of being stopped by a Maryland police officer recently.
              By Tom Jackson | Tribune Staff
              Published: January 12, 2014 | Updated: January 14, 2014 at 06:11 PM

HUDSON – John Filippidis, silver-haired family man, business owner, employer and taxpayer, is also licensed to carry a concealed firearm.

He’d rather he didn’t feel the need, “but things aren’t like they used to be. The break-ins, the burglaries, all the crime. And I carry cash a lot of the time. I’m constantly going to the bank.

“I wanted to be able to defend my family, my household and the ground I’m standing on. But I’m not looking for any trouble.”

Filippidis keeps his gun — a palm-sized Kel-Tec .38 semiautomatic, barely larger than a smartphone in a protective case — in one of two places, always: in the right-hand pocket of his jeans, or in the safe at home.

“There are kids in the house,” Filippidis says, “and I don’t think they’d ever bother with it, but I don’t want to take any chances.”

He’s not looking for any trouble, after all.

Trouble, in fact, was the last thing on his mind a few weeks back as the Filippidises packed for Christmas and a family wedding in Woodridge, N.J., so he left the pistol locked in the safe. The state of Florida might have codified his Second Amendment rights, but he knew he’d be passing through states where recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions affirming the rights of individuals to keep and bear arms have been met by hostile legislatures and local officials.

“I know the laws and I know the rules,” Filippidis says. There are, after all, ways gun owners can travel legally with firearms through hostile states. “But I just think it’s a better idea to leave it home.”

So there the Filippidises were on New Year’s Eve eve, southbound on Interstate 95 — John; wife Kally (his Gulf High sweetheart); the 17-year-old twins Nasia and Yianni; and 13-year-old Gina in their 2012 Ford Expedition — just barely out of the Fort McHenry Tunnel into Maryland, blissfully unarmed and minding their own business when they noticed they were being bird-dogged by an unmarked patrol car. It flanked them a while, then pulled ahead of them, then fell in behind them.

“Ten minutes he’s behind us,” John says. “We weren’t speeding. In fact, lots of other cars were whizzing past.”

“You know you have a police car behind you, you don’t speed, right?” Kally adds.

Says John, “We keep wondering, is he going to do something?”

Finally the patrol car’s emergency lights come on, and it’s almost a relief. Whatever was going on, they’d be able to get it over with now. The officer — from the Transportation Authority Police, as it turns out, Maryland’s version of the New York-New Jersey Port Authority — strolls up, does the license and registration bit, and returns to his car.

According to Kally and John (but not MTAP, which, pending investigation, could not comment), what happened next went like this:

Ten minutes later he’s back, and he wants John out of the Expedition. Retreating to the space between the SUV and the unmarked car, the officer orders John to hook his thumbs behind his back and spread his feet. “You own a gun,” the officer says. “Where is it?”

“At home in my safe,” John answers.

“Don’t move,” says the officer.

Now he’s at the passenger’s window. “Your husband owns a gun,” he says. “Where is it?”

First Kally says, “I don’t know.” Retelling it later she says, “And that’s all I should have said.” Instead, attempting to be helpful, she added, “Maybe in the glove [box]. Maybe in the console. I’m scared of it. I don’t want to have anything to do with it. I might shoot right through my foot.”

The officer came back to John. “You’re a liar. You’re lying to me. Your family says you have it. Where is the gun? Tell me where it is and we can resolve this right now.”

Of course, John couldn’t show him what didn’t exist, but Kally’s failure to corroborate John’s account, the officer would tell them later, was the probable cause that allowed him to summon backup — three marked cars joined the lineup along the I-95 shoulder — and empty the Expedition of riders, luggage, Christmas gifts, laundry bags; to pat down Kally and Yianni; to explore the engine compartment and probe inside door panels; and to separate and isolate the Filippidises in the back seats of the patrol cars.

Ninety minutes later, or maybe it was two hours — “It felt like forever,” Kally says — no weapon found and their possessions repacked, the episode ended ... with the officer writing out a warning.

“All that time, he’s humiliating me in front of my family, making me feel like a criminal,” John says. “I’ve never been to prison, never declared bankruptcy, I pay my taxes, support my 20 employees’ families; I’ve never been in any kind of trouble.”

Face red, eyes shining, John pounds his knees. “And he wants to put me in jail. He wants to put me in jail. For no reason. He wants to take my wife and children away and put me in jail. In America, how does such a thing happen? ... And after all that, he didn’t even write me a ticket.”

Now, despite having fielded apologies from the officer’s captain as well as from a Maryland Transportation Authority Police internal affairs captain, John is wondering if he shouldn’t just cancel his CCW license.

For a guy who’s not looking for trouble, that’s not an unreasonable conclusion. And it would please fans of gun control by any means. But let’s hope John Filippidis, American family man, taxpayer and good guy, doesn’t cave, because it would be a sad statement about the brittleness of our guarantees — some would call them sacred — under the Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
                I'll leave that to our West Coast correspondent, 3rd and Inches.

Its cold out here in these LA streets, you better be packing heat!

Tell them Ref!

500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Did they sprinkle crack on him after they pulled him out of the Expedition?

Comment

nm
                    Last edited by Eagle Road; 01-15-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
                      Did they sprinkle crack on him after they pulled him out of the Expedition?
                      Kinda seems that way huh, it was taken from another board that I frequent, the discussion that started it had to do with states that are wanting you to register your gun and the consequences of that action.

Some are feeling that registering your gun is an open invitation to get pulled over for no reason. Just because you have a CCW permit, it is opening doors for a reason to stop and search you and your property.

WHETHER you have the gun with you or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
                        Kinda seems that way huh, it was taken from another board that I frequent, the discussion that started it had to do with states that are wanting you to register your gun and the consequences of that action.

Some are feeling that registering your gun is an open invitation to get pulled over for no reason. Just because you have a CCW permit, it is opening doors for a reason to stop and search you and your property.

WHETHER you have the gun with you or not.
                        Pulled over for no reason? So you are scared gun owners might be treated like black people?

Comment

Originally posted by FuriousXGeorge View Post
                          Pulled over for no reason? So you are scared gun owners might be treated like black people?

I have a problem with ANYONE being pulled over for no reason, I don't care what color you are.

Comment

No that wasn't my point at all

Originally posted by FuriousXGeorge View Post
                            You said:

So I guess your point was anti-gun people have made serious efforts to solve a problem they don't care about?
                            But to your "point", anti-gun nuts have made minimal efforts to solve a problem they don't care about (i.e. criminals with guns)
                            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
                              When did I say anything about people with concealed carry permits as a major problem ? How many times do I have to say that I'm not anti-gun, nor am I anti CCW. However, this is the issue you create when you allow people into public places with firearms. One guy gets mad another guy, words are exchanged, it gets physical, and all of a sudden, a wife is a widow, and her child is fatherless.
                              So people having concealed carry permits is not a major problem, but people carrying concealed weapons with a permit is?

I don't think his defense team will bring up the "stand your ground" defense, just like Zimmerman didn't. However, it is hard to believe that the ex police officer feared for his life when in an altercation with a man armed with popcorn.

Comment

But to your "point", anti-gun nuts have made minimal efforts to solve a problem they don't care about (i.e. criminals with guns)
                                They have passed legislation to try and address the problem and it has been thrown out in court. I guess they could overthrow the government and that wouldn't be minimal anymore?

Your point is retarded, and has been from the start.

Comment

Working...
                                X