X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical media is dead.

--------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

I have boxes of DVDs in my basement that I haven't watched in years. I've actually ordered movies on Amazon that I owned because it was easier than looking for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolomite View Post
      I have boxes of DVDs in my basement that I haven't watched in years. I've actually ordered movies on Amazon that I owned because it was easier than looking for them.
      That's 'cos you have a basement. I have limited storage space so I have to keep my collection of physical stuff under control. I limit it to stuff like beatle albums and the Rolling Stones sticky finger album with the zipper. That's not reproducible on the web.

I got a lot of stuff in between on CDs I should just rip to other storage. I'd still rather have ME storing it than somebody who can yank the rights away whenever they want.

When Amazon goes down and you want to watch "Swiss Cheese Family Robinison" you might have a problem!
      --------

Comment

I'd like to copy them to a media server but I don't have a media server. I'll need add it to the list. i don't have physical list i keep it all in my head. But I can never find it.

Comment

There's nothing quite like putting vinyl on the old Victrola!

And at least for me, I still prefer turning pages on a good book. Have a kindle and iPad, but the book is still a joy that doesn't translate to devices.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
            There's nothing quite like putting vinyl on the old Victrola!

And at least for me, I still prefer turning pages on a good book. Have a kindle and iPad, but the book is still a joy that doesn't translate to devices.
            Agreed. There is definitely a reason for the resurgence of analog music. The sound and experience are unique. Before I got into vinyl I was still anti-mp3. Lossy sound quality sucks.

never had a kindle or ipad. Probably never will.

Comment

Yeah, I still haven't done the Kindle thing. I like to have the book in my hands.
              "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

I like how most new vinyl releases come with free digital downloads now. That way I can listen to it in the car or the kitchen if I'm not physically in the same room as my turntable.

I've pretty much ripped my entire CD library to my MacBook and have started trading in the physical CDs that I have no attachment to for cash or new vinyl. Trade them in while there still somewhat of a return. They'll be worthless soon enough, and I don't buy the forecasted hipster nostalgia trip happening for the CD.
                Cows in the barnyard, chickens in the farmer's corvette.

Comment

With the net neutrality ruling that the ISP can throttle you connections to sites, can block sites and can charge more for sites physical media may make a comeback.

Hopefully there are appeals left or something else can happen to prevent this from happening.

Comment

I'd like to copy them to a media server but I don't have a media server. I'll need add it to the list. i don't have physical list i keep it all in my head. But I can never find it.
                    If you are going to build a media server I highly recommend looking into Amato. It is a Ubuntu build made for being a server. It is pretty easy to set up if you read the instructions. It can run on an old computer. And it allows you to use any HDD (internal, external, ide, sata,etc.) and combine them into one huge virtual drive. It also allows you to set redundancy down to the file level (you can say this group of file are highly important and I want them backed up in 5 drives. Everything else to backed up to one other drive and these couple files not at all. Also you can always add more drives later and it will balance the data per drive.

Comment

I'm Kindle Kool-Aid drinker. It's a nice way to read for a bit before falling asleep without disturbing the wife. They've also got the price points right on the books as well.
                      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

You would be. Books have soul.

Comment

I don't not have books.
                          -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

only because it isn't used properly

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                            Agreed. There is definitely a reason for the resurgence of analog music. The sound and experience are unique. Before I got into vinyl I was still anti-mp3. Lossy sound quality sucks.

never had a kindle or ipad. Probably never will.
                            Steve Birchall: Why did you convert your studio to a digital facility? What creative possibilities did digital recording offer that analog technology couldn't give you?

Frank Zappa: It's made a big difference in terms of what we can get on tape and how fast. You can do sounds on digital that you can't on analog. The sound is clear, and the dynamic range is ridiculous. Little things like that make all the difference in the world.

Steve Birchall: Do you like the expanded dynamic range? Have you found ways to make use of it creatively?

Frank Zappa: We don't compress the material; we leave the dynamic range wide open and usually worry about it when we put it on disc. If you compress everything just because you're putting it on vinyl, then you eventually wind up cheating the audience who buy it on CD.
                            The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                              Steve Birchall: Why did you convert your studio to a digital facility? What creative possibilities did digital recording offer that analog technology couldn't give you?

Frank Zappa: It's made a big difference in terms of what we can get on tape and how fast. You can do sounds on digital that you can't on analog. The sound is clear, and the dynamic range is ridiculous. Little things like that make all the difference in the world.

Steve Birchall: Do you like the expanded dynamic range? Have you found ways to make use of it creatively?

Frank Zappa: We don't compress the material; we leave the dynamic range wide open and usually worry about it when we put it on disc. If you compress everything just because you're putting it on vinyl, then you eventually wind up cheating the audience who buy it on CD.
                              And it usually isn't used properly.

I agree that the best way currently to capture a source recording is digitally. But the difference between that source recording and what the consumer hears is major.

Sometimes the process required to put a recording on vinyl makes it more pleasing to the ear even if it is not truly faithful to the original recording.

I kind of look at it as similar to dealing with RAW photo files. You want the RAW file to work with as it contains as much information as possible. But you probably also want to manipulate that RAW data to make it as pleasing as possible in the final image people will view.
                              --------

Comment

Working...
                              X