No announcement yet.

Extra points a thing of the past soon??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes ... I don't see how they are going to eliminate special teams players by taking the extra point away ... the same guys are out there for field goals that aren't going away.
    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I really don't get the outrage here.

All they are suggesting is to eliminate a play that has become a foregone conclusion while maintaining the risk of the 2-point conversion.

You act like they want to settle ties with rock-paper-scissors.

PS - I really don't care if they keep the kick or do this ... it's six of one for me.
      Last edited by slag; 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
        Yes ... I don't see how they are going to eliminate special teams players by taking the extra point away ... the same guys are out there for field goals that aren't going away.
        I'd be happier if they made them go for two after every 6 point TD.

The notion of giving an automatic extra point doesn't sit well with me.

But I think that would f*ck up the bookmakers if every TD was 6 or 8 points.

So maybe give them NO automatic extra point and then run or pass for one.

This notion of a 7 point TD with one point subtracted when you decide to go for two (That's what it is, a point taken off the board when you try) doesn't sit right with me.
        --------
        "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I don't like the idea that you get the extra point for doing nothing. I would much rather it be a 30 yarder if the goal is to not make it such a sure thing.
          -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I don't get the problem ... the same situation of 6 versus 8 exists if decide to go for two now.

Everyone already assumes a TD is seven, not six.

It appears to me that the only thing that impacts betting by eliminating the extra point is that a kicker doesn't have as many ways to throw a game.

Comment

I think a TD should be 7 pts

With option to go for 8 (cross the goal line, no kick). TD should be worth more than 2 FGs
              "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                I don't like the idea that you get the extra point for doing nothing. I would much rather it be a 30 yarder if the goal is to not make it such a sure thing.
                I look at it this way. Your team scores a touchdown. You get an automatic extra point as a result of the touch down.

Then the Zebra / Monty Hall, Mr. Mahon/Goodell comes and and says... "you like that free extra point? well you can keep it and you are safe or you can risk it and go for two!

Gambling directly into the game, including taking points off the board.
                --------

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                  With option to go for 8 (cross the goal line, no kick). TD should be worth more than 2 FGs
                  I could go for this.
                  --------

Comment

Oh please ... the extra point is already virtually a free point.

Which, at the risk of a pun, is the point.

Comment

Hahahah

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                      I look at it this way. Your team scores a touchdown. You get an automatic extra point as a result of the touch down.

Then the Zebra / Monty Hall, Mr. Mahon/Goodell comes and and says... "you like that free extra point? well you can keep it and you are safe or you can risk it and go for two!

Gambling directly into the game, including taking points off the board.
                      Exactly... too Monty Hallish. What's next, pick three boxes instead of flipping a coin? If you choose a zonk you have to play with only 10 guys for a quarter
                      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                        Oh please ... the extra point is already virtually a free point.

Which, at the risk of a pun, is the point.
                        I think we both witnessed a missed extra point kick this year.

Riccardo's idea is better than the -1/+! gamble. A TD should be worth more than two FGS.

7 points per TD with an extra point for a run or pass try after the play.

Fuck this take a point off the board gamble.
                        --------

Comment

You don't see Monty Hall already saying ... you can take this $500 by snapping your fingers or risk it and go for one of the boxes with $1000 in it?

Comment

I just cut and pasted this:

From the 1990 to 2011 seasons, 22 seasons in total, there were 23,684 extra point attempts during the regular season. Of these, a total of 23,325 were successfully made for a league wide extra point efficiency rating of 98.48%.

Like I said before ... keep it or McRule it ... makes no difference to me.

Comment

no way

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
                              I'm in favor of the new rule idea where you can still go for two, and if you fail a point is deducted back to 6. The "extra point" is ridiculous. Time to end it.

It's especially ridiculous on a walk off td with no time left when the "point" has no meaning.

It's not 1956 anymore. The play is too automatic.

Now if they wanted to bring back the drop kick, I'd be all for that. No holder.
                              the extra point is a great punctuation mark to a TD. Deducting a point if you miss the play from scrimmage? ridiculous. why not go to the XFL free for all scramble to determine possession while were at it. The NFL is determined to keep fucking up a good thing.
                              Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                              May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                                5 extra points were missed this year. Out of 1,261.
                                still. river city relay.

Comment

Working...
                                X