Tom Gola, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Gola, RIP

arguably the second greatest player to ever come out of Philly. That's right, Kobe, you heard me.

Has been in bad shape since he took a nasty fall about 10 years ago and Im happy he is no longer suffering.

"GOLA GOAL!" is what Zink would cry after one of his spectacular drives to the hoop.

RIP, Mr. Gola.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Classic Blue Collar But Always A Star

He didn't score 8,000 points but not because he couldn't score more -- one of his teammates was this tall kid from Overbrook High. When it came to rebounding, boxing out, whatever had to be done, he did it and always made everyone around him better.

Rest in Peace, good sir.
    "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

One of the very greatest college players ever

2,000-plus points in the pre 3-point era and 2,000-plus rebounds. An NIT championship when that meant something, an NCAA title and a second appearance in the title game where they barely lost to Bill Russell and KC Jones.

On a personal note, my GF's dad was at LaSalle on a swimming scholarship at the same time Gola was performing his heroics for the Explorers on the hardwood. "A straight shooter," he said, basketball pun not intended. "he was a guy who was always humble, respectful and respected."

I just caught the tail end of Gola's playing days but he coached one of my alltime favorite Big Five teams, the 1969 LaSalle squad that went 23-1, but was banned from the postseason because of recruiting violations by his predecessor, Jim Harding. I would have dearly loved to watch Ken Durrette go up against the then Lew Alcindor in the tournament.
      May 7, 2010

Comment

Didn't Gola Shoot Underhanded Free Throws?

I seem to remember a big white guy who shot them like Wilt -- only better.

Comment

no...

Rick Barry shot them that way. Last modern era player I remember doing that.
          May 7, 2010

Comment

Bingo

That was it. For some reason I pictured Gola, too. Gray cells getting grayer.

Comment

Yo Georgie -- How's This For An Eye Opening PS?

Just saw the story on Gola's passing on 6 ABC -- he is the current -- CURRENT -- NCAA record holder for rebounds!! Almost 60 years and a whole hell of a lot of taller, very talented players later, he's still NUMBER ONE!!

That says it all. Here a link from ESPN -- it's in the third paragraph:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-famer-dies-81

Comment

that record will never be broken

because players at that levle of rebounding proficiency do not stay in college anymore for four years. Yes, I was aware he held the record.
                May 7, 2010

Comment

Working...
                X