Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your Opinion of Billy Joel in Concert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your Opinion of Billy Joel in Concert?

I am tossing around the idea of going to CBP to watch Joel this summer and has anyone been to his shows? We saw Springsteen there and it was a good night and another Band off of my "see before I or they Die list". I am sure its like a greatest hits show, and depending if you like him or not will play into it.

Most people here won't go. I'm not a big fan, but the wife and daughter are, so I will go,with them.

Saw his show with Elton John at CBP a few years back, and it was okay. Unfortunately I had a couple of obnoxious twats in front of me who refused to stop standing up and waving their arms (they were the ONLY people in my section to do that). I damned near lost it. Anyway, other than that, it was enjoyable.

Yeah, Billy hasn't done anything new lately, but even the old material is enjoyable.

Comment

Saw Him and Elton John At The Bank Center

Not sure which bank it was -- together they were great -- they did that at the end -- but when each went solo it was fantastic. I thought Billy Joel's "connection" to the people was better. He was looking for feedback and getting it. He's a much better showman.

My recommendation: do it!
      "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

What is this?

If you like Billy Joel, go see Billy Joel. He's obviously great at what he does. I'm going to see Foreigner next month with this new singer. It's a local show in New Brunswick so it'll be a good night out with my girlfriend. (Oh yeah, she's also my wife)

Comment

Saw him just after he released Piano Man at a small 400 seat theatre at the U of D.

One of the best concerts I've ever seen ... but that was long ago.

He actually opened with Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song as a spoof, and he and his band killed it.
          Last edited by slag; 01-30-2014, 09:22 AM.
          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I agree on the connection. He definitely gets it when it comes to playing to the crowd.

Comment

As long as his playlist is from before An Innocent Man it should be pretty fucking good.
              Last edited by slag; 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM. Reason: to be even more definitive in my taste for his music

Comment

Gappy, Don't DO That!

I got to "...my girlfriend" and I'm thinking, "WHAT??!!" -- luckily I kept reading.

Man -- I'm thinking, "I thought Mr. and Mrs. President would call it quits before Gappy and his lady." You gotta watch saying things like that!
                "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Joel's music FOR ME was....

.....always hit or miss. Some of it I liked, some of it I hated. Never saw one of his shows. Billy Joel always smacked of that doo-wop shit that I can't stand. Like nails on a blackboard. "Uptown girl, she been living in her uptown world. Nya Nya Nya Nya" I do like New York State of Mind, Captain Jack, some others. Only saw Springsteen one time. (And proud of it).

Comment

Yeah, the crap he wrote when trying to Christie Brinkley is pretty vacant. Like with Springsteen, the older material shows more artfulness and depth of emotion.

Comment

Springsteen started out sounding like.....

....a guy from New Jersey and he ended up sounding like a guy from Kentucky.

Comment

I saw him in Philly around 2006. Great show!

Comment

hey the guy has plenty of good songs,,i'm sure it will be a good night out.

personally I didn't see Billy when I was a kid..I like a few of his songs but I'm beyond paying 80 bucks to see Piano Man ,,ect...If you see him closer to philly, you will get a Captain JACK....Which was written about a guy he got weed from In Ny...but a song that became synonymous with Philadelphia..Pierre Played the shit out of it..

its a night out, so go have fun,,most of the good rockers are aging...don't think I would pay to see too many of them now..Paul McCartney,,or Clapton,,if he played electric are still worth it..
                          Last edited by TRENT; 01-30-2014, 10:14 AM.
                          OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                          "BFTR"

Comment

Yep, Philly does have a special relationship with him. I keep thinking back to the Ed Sciaky days. That guy brought some tremendous talent to the area.

Comment

Innocent Man is that doo wop Brinkley shit so I revised to put the list at anything before that.

Number of artists have a line like that ... for Elton John the line is Yellow Brick Road for me ... anything after that is meh ... up to and before is fucking great.

Springsteen is for me like Joel for you ... hit or big miss.

I like Tenth Ave Freeze Out ... can't stand Rosilita.

The Grateful Dead are another band with a rabid following that I never got ... I like a few songs the rest are meh.

Comment

Working...
                              X