Best take on the Dolphins scandal so far -- Disconnect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best take on the Dolphins scandal so far -- Disconnect

At least in my view, this is a pretty good take from the Miami Herald on the Dolphins scandal. It's not a long read.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/1...ing-miami.html

I want to believe that the Eagles don't have an Incognito or Pouncey or John Jerry in their locker room but we really don't know. They probably do.

I bet it's that fucking Jon Dorenbos.
    "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Yeah, good take.

Incognito is an extreme alpha male personality, but yeah every team has some of this culture going on.

It's been going on in football forever too. Back in the mid 1980's I asked a whitewater rapids guide what was the worse thing he had to deal with. He said a bunch of Ohio State football players throwing each other out of the boat into the class v rapids.

I read most of the Wells report.

Comment

Here's another way to put it

Son, we live in a world that has quarterbacks, and those quarterbacks have to be guarded by men with pads and helmets. Who's gonna do it? You?

Richie Incognito has a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Martin, and you curse the rest of the offensive line. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what Incognito knows. That Martin's bullying, while tragic, probably saved Tannehill. And Incognito's existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves Tannehill. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want Incognito on that line, you need him on that line.

Incognito uses words like badass, beast, hardcore. He uses these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. He has neither the time nor the inclination to explain himself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very game day wins that he provides, and then questions the manner in which he provides them. Incognito would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, he suggests you pick up a helmet and some pads, and line the fuck up. Either way, he doesn't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
          Yeah, good take.

Incognito is an extreme alpha male personality, but yeah every team has some of this culture going on.
          It's why the Michael Sam announcement is such a sea change. This and the Dolphins situation sends a warning to the rest of the locker rooms that this isn't cool anymore. I think most players will get the message. They're all in well paying jobs. Even if they still think it, they aren't going to express it. Not at work or on social media anyway.

The whole part of the story that's most disturbing to me is the way they treated the asian equipment manager. He's not a football player. In any other work place the way he was treated would be grounds for a substantial lawsuit.

Not being a lawyer, for all I know it still might be in the Dolphins case. I would hope so at least.

Comment

That would be Jeff Ireland or Bill Parcells if they were confronted in the Wells report!

Comment

It's pretty complex. They also took the Asian Equipment Manager out on the social scene and partied with him. The guy support Incognito in the Wells report and refused to roll.

Comment

A lot more than them.

Appears to me LeBatard's is saying most of the guys in NFL locker rooms subscribe to the notion that you have to break some eggs to make an omelet.
                Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                  It's pretty complex. They also took the Asian Equipment Manager out on the social scene and partied with him.
                  I never heard that before. It's not in the report at all. But what is in the report is that the asian employee initially denied he had been bullied. That turned out to be out of fear of losing the respect of the locker room and losing his job. That's the classic result of those being bullied. Powerless to do anything about it.

Here's the entire text of the report regarding that employee. It's horrific.

The Assistant Trainer
                  We found that the Assistant Trainer, who was born in Japan, was the
                  target of frequent and persistent harassment, including insults relating to his race and
                  national origin. Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey admitted that they directed racially
                  derogatory words toward him, including “Jap” and “Chinaman.” At times, according to
                  Martin, they referred to the Assistant Trainer as a “dirty communist” or a “North
                  Korean,” made demands such as “give me some water you fucking chink,” spoke to him
                  in a phony, mocking Asian accent, including asking for “rubby rubby sucky sucky,” and
                  called his mother a “rub and tug masseuse.” Martin and others informed us that
                  Incognito and Jerry taunted the Assistant Trainer with jokes about having sex with his
                  girlfriend. Incognito admitted that these types of comments were made to the Assistant
                  Trainer.
                  On December 7, 2012, the anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl
                  Harbor, Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey donned traditional Japanese headbands that
                  featured a rising sun emblem (which the Assistant Trainer had given them) and jokingly
                  threatened to harm the Assistant Trainer physically in retaliation for the Pearl Harbor
                  attack. According to Martin, the Assistant Trainer confided in him that he was upset
                  about the Pearl Harbor comments, finding them derogatory toward his heritage.
                  Martin and another player we interviewed both believed that the Assistant
                  Trainer awkwardly laughed along with some of the racial insults, even though he was in
                  fact offended. And both players seemed offended by the flagrant racial harassment of the
                  Assistant Trainer. In a text message sent on November 4, 2013, Martin told a friend: “I
                  always felt so bad for [the Assistant Trainer] . . . it was really racist.” Martin claims that
                  a number of Dolphins employees saw how the Assistant Trainer was humiliated but did
                  not intervene, including his supervisor, head trainer Kevin O’Neill, who allegedly even
                  laughed at some of the racial insults. As far as we know, none of the players, including
                  Martin, confronted Incognito, Jerry or Pouncey about the racist comments directed at the
                  Assistant Trainer or demanded that they cease.
                  When interviewed about these matters, the Assistant Trainer initially
                  pleaded that he not be required to answer certain questions, implying that he could not be
                  forthright because he was concerned about losing the trust of the players. The Assistant
                  Trainer further claimed that Incognito was his friend and asserted that Incognito had
                  never offended him. He told us that he could not recall if Incognito had called him a
                  “Chinaman” or a “Jap,” and refused to answer the question whether Incognito had said
                  anything about his girlfriend, saying that the inquiry made him “very uncomfortable.”
                  We did not find the Assistant Trainer’s denials believable. Notably, hours
                  after Martin left the team on October 28, the Assistant Trainer sent him a text message
                  indicating that he had indeed been personally offended by the insults directed at him by
                  Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey: “Hey JM I understand how [y]ou feel man… They are
                  relentless sometime…. Some day I wanna do exactly what you did today.” (emphasis
                  added and ellipses in original). The ceaseless racial ridicule directed at the Assistant
                  Trainer was appalling and plainly over the line in any workplace.
                  We also find the treatment of the Assistant Trainer particularly troubling
                  because he was not a fellow football player, but a subordinate, a member of the training
                  staff. In our view, it is likely that the Assistant Trainer felt that he had no standing or
                  ability to fight back, and feared the loss of his job if he protested and the players did not
                  take kindly to his complaints. Again, as with Player A, we view the treatment of the
                  Assistant Trainer as part of a pattern of abusive, unprofessional behavior.

Comment

We'll maybe they didn't party or they partied too much, but they did "socialize outside of work".

Page 84.

Comment

True.

BTW, your "a Few Good Men" quote is outstanding! I just read it again!

Comment

Working...
                      X