McDermott from Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDermott from Creighton

is the best college player I've seen this year. He is the guy I want the Sixers to get.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

If he's available with the Pelicans pick I would do it. He's definitely going to be the National POY. I'm also liking Nik Staukas of Michigan, he reminds me of Gordon Hayward. The NBA draft is going to be a lot of fun this year.

Comment

not sure about his defense, but...

...when you have a guy that special as a scorer and an offensive player in general, you play help defense.
      May 7, 2010

Comment

Is this guy not Adam Morrison part two?

Comment

Too small to play the 4, too slow to play the 3. He'll always be able to shoot so he should have a solid NBA career, like Korver, but I don't see him being anything more than a role player.

Stauskas could be available with one of the 5 second round picks.

Comment

I seriously doubt he'll fall to the second, despite what NBAdraft.net says.

Comment

What???

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
              Too small to play the 4, too slow to play the 3. He'll always be able to shoot so he should have a solid NBA career, like Korver, but I don't see him being anything more than a role player.

Stauskas could be available with one of the 5 second round picks.
              Korver? He's nothing like him. You are talking about a spot-up guy. This kid is 6-8, 230 with tremendous moves down low. He's got a midrange game which is practically a lost art, AND he can knock it down the outside shot. There's really not much he cant do on the offensive end. I think a lot of scouts translate "white" as "slow". Watch his 18-for-22 performance (close to that if I dont remember correctly) against Bradley last year which was on Youtube and tell me he's slow.
              May 7, 2010

Comment

No.
                May 7, 2010

Comment

...and full disclosure...

...I freely admit a big part of what I love about this guy has to do with what Creighton did to Villanova this year.
                  May 7, 2010

Comment

First, to IG, McDermott is a hell of a college player. He should and will win all the player of the year awards. I just don't look at him and see a guy who is going to consistently be able to score at a high level in the NBA. I didn't say Korver in that their games are similar, just that I can see their careers being similar (average 10-12 points per game, offer some scoring off the bench, be a defensive liability, have a solid go as a key role player for some teams) and that they went to the same school.

Roth, I can see Stauskas going in the 20s but I could also see him falling to the second too is all I really meant. Start with Wiggins, Parker or Embiid and see who is there with the Pels pick. If it's as high as it looks like it might be, I think there's going to be some better all around prospects to choose from than Stauskas. That being said, I wouldn't be mad at them if they packaged some 2s to move back into the 1st to take either of these guys.

Comment

sorry if I misunderstood.

I dont really follow the draft, but I have not seen a better player in college this year. I know nothing about the international guys. I think McDermott's lowpost moves are close to genius. He has a midrange game and he can stick the 3. He can create a shot off the dribble.

Not understanding why you think his game doesn't translate. I think he's quick enough to play small forward and creates matchup problems for the guy guarding him at the 4.
                      May 7, 2010

Comment

I just don't see enough athleticism to be a one on one scoring threat in the NBA. I think he will still score, cause he can shoot the lights out, but I just don't see him being anywhere near a 20+ score because his ability to create his own shot or beat NBA defenders off the dribble is lacking.

Put him in the right O with a PG (like MCW) who can find him for open J's, and he'll be a solid player with a long career.

Comment

fair enough!
                          May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
                            Roth, I can see Stauskas going in the 20s but I could also see him falling to the second too is all I really meant. Start with Wiggins, Parker or Embiid and see who is there with the Pels pick. If it's as high as it looks like it might be, I think there's going to be some better all around prospects to choose from than Stauskas. That being said, I wouldn't be mad at them if they packaged some 2s to move back into the 1st to take either of these guys.
                            I think he'll end up mid to late 1st round, depending on how Michigan does in the tournament. But a lot of the guys I've seen projected from like 10 to 15 have not impressed me that much (Lavine for instance).

Sixers will certainly have options. I wouldn't mind taking one or two of those Florida seniors in the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
                              ...I freely admit a big part of what I love about this guy has to do with what Creighton did to Villanova this year.
                              Creighton is just a bad matchup for Villanova. Nova, to their credit, plays really hard but their perimeter defense is suspect. If they play a mid-major team that shoots well in the early rounds, they could be in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X