• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: KG will this affect your Mayo

Consumption?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...obama/5841747/

Just ribbin ya big guy

"• Serving sizes will reflect portions people typically eat, as shown by studies — meaning they will be bigger than serving sizes are now on many products.
    "

I don't like this one. I would rather they be listed in standard and easy to measure quantities rather than by "serving" at all, which is a meaningless concept. (One cup, 10 grams, stuff like that) If people are just eyeballing, counting calories will always be tough.
    Last edited by FuriousXGeorge; 02-27-2014, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I think its an improvement

Originally posted by FuriousXGeorge View Post
      "• Serving sizes will reflect portions people typically eat, as shown by studies — meaning they will be bigger than serving sizes are now on many products.
      "

I don't like this one. I would rather they be listed in standard and easy to measure quantities rather than by "serving" at all, which is a meaningless concept. (One cup, 10 grams, stuff like that) If people are just eyeballing, counting calories will always be tough.
      If they use weight or volume std that is difficult for consumers as well
      "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

I agree

Saw a comment on Twitter that was eye opening, this new Standard will take a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and make it two servings rather than four.

Everything else seems pretty good, but I, like you, would like to see a standard measurement, not a serving.

Side note - FLOTUS's initiative on child obesity seems to be working, in the last 4 years child obesity has gone down 43%... which is a positive sign, only bad thing is adult obesity has stayed even, No Bueno

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
          It should list both, weighing is better when possible. But upon looking at the examples I think they did it well enough to assuage most of my concerns. I would just prefer something like 1/2 cup rather than 2/3 cup because it's slightly easier to measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Little View Post
            I agree

Saw a comment on Twitter that was eye opening, this new Standard will take a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and make it two servings rather than four.

Everything else seems pretty good, but I, like you, would like to see a standard measurement, not a serving.

Side note - FLOTUS's initiative on child obesity seems to be working, in the last 4 years child obesity has gone down 43%... which is a positive sign, only bad thing is adult obesity has stayed even, No Bueno
            Adults are overworked and stuck in sedentary jobs. If we signed up as many adults for soccer and football as we do kids it would help, but time for team sports is just not there. They are way more fun than boring ass jogging.
            Last edited by FuriousXGeorge; 02-27-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

a little bit of both

Originally posted by FuriousXGeorge View Post
              "

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
              Dividing a Snapple into 2.5 servings (or whatever) is a joke. Apparent single serving items should be just that...a single serving.

imagine if they labeled a XL coke from McDonald's like that. 600-800 cals?

Comment

People need to stay away from the middle aisles of grocery stores in general. Those of us who live in cities have an easier time finding a good variety of inexpensive fresh foods than those in the burbs and rural areas... in a twist of irony. You'd think it would be other way around. But abundant farmer's markets bring the goods to the city.

I can't remember the last time I bought a jar of mayonnaise. It's actually easy to make your own with egg whites, mustard powder, vinegar, and olive oil. Or you could use whole eggs if you don't care about cholesterol. Tastes better than a jar and is healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
                  People need to stay away from the middle aisles of grocery stores in general. Those of us who live in cities have an easier time finding a good variety of inexpensive fresh foods than those in the burbs and rural areas... in a twist of irony. You'd think it would be other way around. But abundant farmer's markets bring the goods to the city.

I can't remember the last time I bought a jar of mayonnaise. It's actually easy to make your own with egg whites, mustard powder, vinegar, and olive oil. Or you could use whole eggs if you don't care about cholesterol. Tastes better than a jar and is healthier.
                  Really? Every time I visit my parents in central PA, I always hit the farmers market. It's fresher and cheaper than anything in the city. Maybe BL has thoughts since he grew up near me.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                    Really? Every time I visit my parents in central PA, I always hit the farmers market. It's fresher and cheaper than anything in the city. Maybe BL has thoughts since he grew up near me.
                    I dunno about central PA. You guys have winter farmer's markets? Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
                      I dunno about central PA. You guys have winter farmer's markets? Cool.
                      Sure do. One's on Tuesdays and the other is Fridays.

Comment

Yeah there are all year farm markets everywhere now

Tho I find that places like Wegmans or Whole foods have better quality

Comment

Wish that were true

Don't want to make this political and I applaud the first lady's work in this area but the only decrease found was in ages 2-5 (older kids it is going up). You can see from the graph obesity in even this age group was decreasing in the 2000s, then bumped up 2009/2010, then decreased again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...allen-so-much/

Comment

Hmm, interesting just heard that damn stat yesterday...

I asked this question to my Chiropractor yesteady, is the US the only Country with an Obesity problem?

Comment

According to the CIA, there are 17 countries worse than us

If you define it as a problem with more than 10% of the population being obese, there aren't many western countries that rate

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2228rank.html

Comment

Working...
                              X