So Rosencrud wanted to rework Mathis contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Rosencrud wanted to rework Mathis contract

Iggs said no, but you can shop him but we want a pick in return....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...s_decline.html

And it seems like just like Jackson, no real offers out there...

Another example of a player believing there is a market for him when there isn't.
    Can't say I blame him for trying, but sometimes you are in the right place making the right $, where no one else believes you are worth it...or more anyway.
    The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    And it seems like just like Jackson, no real offers out there...

Another example of a player believing there is a market for him when there isn't.
    The more I think about this, the more I could see this as the FO's way of showing players unhappy with their contract exactly what other teams think of them.

At the end of the season, DJax thought he was underpaid. Now it's pretty well established that no other team in the league wants to pay him what he's currently making, let alone give him a raise. It's gonna be tough for him to raise another stink about his contract after most of the league said "No thanks" after a career year.

Give this rumor another week, and either Mathis will find out the Eagles value him more than any other team...or the FO will be presented with an opportunity to get value for an aging player. Either outcome strengthens the Eagles' position when talking contract with Mathis.
    Last edited by Dan Drives a Van; 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I have no problem if they jettison Mathis in a draft day deal. He has the easiest job in the NFL (securing the area between the best center and LT in the game). He is a 32 year old, slightly above average OG, who has benefited grossly from good fortune since he joined the Eagles. He is EXACTLY the type of player you deal for a decent draft pick in a loaded draft. As opposed to Desean his stock will never be higher and he has a VERY REPLACEABLE skill set.

Stay Strong, Howie.
      "You'll get nothing and like it!" Judge Smails

Comment

I tend to believe...

Originally posted by Dan Drives a Van View Post
        The more I think about this, the more I could see this as the FO's way of showing players unhappy with their contract exactly what other teams think of them.

At the end of the season, DJax thought he was underpaid. Now it's pretty well established that no other team in the league wants to pay him what he's currently making, let alone give him a raise. It's gonna be tough for him to raise another stink about his contract after most of the league said "No thanks" after a career year.

Give this rumor another week, and either Mathis will find out the Eagles value him more than any other team...or the FO will be presented with an opportunity to get value for an aging player. Either outcome strengthens the Eagles' position when talking contract with Mathis.
        That Chip's call to Jackson was timed so that Jackson was worried he would be cut and saw that he would likely make less $ if he signed elsewhere. I suspect Chip reminded him how well he did in his system and could do even better if he showed more commitment and did not buck the system, or yell at his position coach on the sidelines. I think it was a message to him that it is time to grow up, and I think this is true mainly because of comments made by Vick about Jackson up in NY. Kelly may really be smarter than everyone else.
        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'

Comment

I think there's teams that would pay DJax but many of them don't have the cap space...over $10M per is a shit ton of cash.

Comment

Who's next on the depth chart? Barbre?

Comment

Yes Barbre he's 29 and makes $735k. He played well when he came in for Peters last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                Kelly may really be smarter than everyone else.
                Chip Kelly is Hannibal Lecter but instead of eating people, he just convinces everyone to start drinking smoothies. Only difference.

Comment

My only concern with these tactics by Kelly and the FO

is that is gives off a "my way or the highway" kind of feel. I'm not exactly opposed to that, but it seems that with players, that type of structure really only works when there are rings to back it up. Hopefully Chip can stay on the right side of his players doing this.
                  The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
                    is that is gives off a "my way or the highway" kind of feel. I'm not exactly opposed to that, but it seems that with players, that type of structure really only works when there are rings to back it up. Hopefully Chip can stay on the right side of his players doing this.
                    If they're not going to give him more money what other possible feel could this give off to a player? The only way NOT to give that feeling is to give him a new contract.

If this is true they're at least telling him to see if someone out there values him more rather than just telling him no outright.
                    --
                    Your Retarded

Comment

Mathis is different. In his case he's already 32 and spent a career as a journeyman. His last contract was his first for real money. He thinks he might get one more crack at a bigger payday. Then he's done for real.

It's almost a classy move by the team to allow him to find out just how much money he can get from somebody. I always thought he was overrated.

My image of him is pissing on the IRS building sign, protesting the misinformation about tea party groups being targeted. Sent a message to me that he's a neuveau riché right wing nut job who doesn't want to pay taxes. That, and his part in threatening the grandson of SignMan for standing on public property with a sign asking the team to fire Andy. Don't give a fuck if he's outta here.

Barbre is just as good.
                      Last edited by The Ref; 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
                        It's almost a classy move by the team to allow him to find out just how much money he can get from somebody.
                        I tend to agree with this, but it really depends on how the conversation went down between the FO and Mathis' people.

If they had simply said, "forget about it, we've got you under contract," Mathis might end up staying resentful the whole season. By allowing him to shop himself in a trade, if it doesn't work out, it's not totally on the FO. I think it's a smart move.

Comment

Working...
                        X