Philly Neighborhood Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philly Neighborhood Advice

Long-time reader, first-time poster. I need some advice on Philly neighborhoods. I'm about to graduate college (University of Maryland) and have accepted a job in Center City. I'm planning on moving into the city in early summer and was wondering if you guys had any advice as to what neighborhoods I should be looking at? I'm hoping to live with other recent college grads and young professionals so I've heard neighborhoods like Manayunk, University City and Northern Liberties thrown around a lot. Do any of you have any personal experience with these neighborhoods? Also any advice on neighborhoods that I should avoid would be helpful as well.

Thanks and fuck the Cowboys!

I've lived in Manayunk, Center City, Grad Hospital and now Hawthorne, which is probably my favorite of the group. All depends on your budget, but if I was doing it again I'd avoid Manayunk - parking can be a nightmare and you're far enough away that it can be a pain to get into and back from the city, particularly if its late after the R6 stops running.

Comment

i say this as a native Pennsylvanian - Go to New Jersey
      Last edited by JuTMSY4; 04-21-2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

North Philly all the way!!!

Comment

Manayunk is great for right out of college grads but you want to live in the city. Bella Vista, Queen Village, Grad Hospital, Passyunk Square, Northern Liberties and Fishtown are the neighborhoods where alot of young people live. Advantages and disadvantages to all of those but you cant go wrong unless you get scammed into a Fishtown apt thats actually in Kensington.

You won't be able to afford Rittenhouse, Society Hill, Washington Square. And maybe Olde City.

It all depends on your vibe. Lots of people ask these same questions on the Philadelphia subreddit. I suggest u spend some time perusing there
          WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

You can't go wrong

With any of the letter streets in Kensington (c,d etc.). Also anywhere on the east side of broad along Lehigh ave. 3,4 or 5th... New and upcoming neighborhood - El Bloque de oro...

Comment

Don't know your budget but if you work in CC.......Live in CC.....if you are able to. Rents may be a bit higher but you can walk to everything. Don't need a car or pay for commuting.

Comment

I think a lot of depends on what you are into, but as Diggle said the city is much better than Manayunk. If you like art and music, Northern Liberties/Fishtown would be good. If you like good restaurants and bars Passyunk Square is your best bet. I think if I was 22-23 again, I'd probably live in Grad Hopsital...best bang for your buck (at least the last time I was in the market) and it's close to Rittenhouse and the bars where the hottest babes hang out. Also, as far as commuting to work goes any; of these places are easily accessible via walking, biking or taking the orange line. I wouldn't live in Center City.

Comment

I've been living in the Fairmount/Spring Garden section of town for the last 3 years, and I highly recommend the area.

Comment

When I last lived in Philly from 85-89, I lived in International City in Southwest Philly. Close to the stadiums and airport it was really nice. My girlfriend and I lived in a 2 bedroom and they were very spacious. After I got married, my wife and I lived in an apartment in a Korman complex in Welsh Rd which was off Roosevelt Blvd in NE Philly.

Comment

Working...
                    X