Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kareem Gets it Right

http://toprightnews.com/?p=2777

The NAACP “did nothing” after Sterling was forced to pay a staggering $3 million fine for denying housing to Blacks, saying they “smell, and attract vermin,” Abdul-Jabbar noted. They were even going to present Sterling with an NAACP award on May 15th, with the Rev. Al Sharpton on hand. “Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?”

“Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way?” he asked, comparing the secret tape-recording to Mitt Romney’s embarrassing 47 percent remark, recorded without the then-candidate’s knowledge.

“The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime,” Abdul-Jabbar fumed. “We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it.”
    Sorry, but that part is total bullshit. If you don't want these things recorded and sold to TMZ, then:

a) Don't say the heinous shit to begin with
    b) Don't say the heinous shit to some whore that you're paying to fuck you
    "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Setup

It was heinous with his housing. This shit with the mistress is wrong but it's not the level the media is making it out to be. Who knows what she did to get this all out of him in an attempt to extort him.

The fact of the matter is there is a long string of things that should have been dealt with long before this. The media just decided to sink their claws into all of a sudden and now people are all up in arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar12 View Post
        It was heinous with his housing. This shit with the mistress is wrong but it's not the level the media is making it out to be. Who knows what she did to get this all out of him in an attempt to extort him.

The fact of the matter is there is a long string of things that should have been dealt with long before this. The media just decided to sink their claws into all of a sudden and now people are all up in arms.
        Oh, I completely agree with that. I just don't think this is any kind of a privacy issue. Recording conversations isn't new. If you're a public figure, don't give someone material to bury you with, and more importantly, don't be a racist fuck.
        "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Disgusted

...With the media and a bunch of people (mainly white) pretending to all of a sudden be upset because it's easy to get on a soapbox.

Bunch of frauds.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
            Oh, I completely agree with that. I just don't think this is any kind of a privacy issue. Recording conversations isn't new. If you're a public figure, don't give someone material to bury you with, and more importantly, don't be a racist fuck.
            I thought I heard that Sterling's GF recorded a lot of his conversations at his request. It was sort of her "job" because he would forget what he had said (re: business I guess).
            --------
            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

You think I can record conversations of people who don't know I'm doing it whenever I want?

I don't know what the law is in California, but there are laws everywhere that cover this ... some of them impose criminal sanctions for violating them.

There are also federal statutes covering this.

And it doesn't matter whether you're a public figure or not.
              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                You think I can record conversations of people who don't know I'm doing it whenever I want?

I don't know what the law is in California, but there are laws everywhere that cover this ... some of them impose criminal sanctions for violating them.

But if what I have heard was true in this case the conversations were recorded with his consent.

Also, in some jurisdictions isn't it only required for one party to the conversation for it to be legal? Not sure I agree with that but...
                --------

Comment

There are some jurisdictions that allow a person to record his/her own conversations without telling others who participate in that conversation (NY, with some restrictions, had this the last time I checked it many years ago).

If he consented to the recording that's another matter ... but I was responding to the statement that "recording conversations is nothing new" as if it's ok to do it with impunity.
                  Last edited by slag; 04-29-2014, 06:37 PM.

Comment

PS - according to this, all parties to the conversation must consent in Cali.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/cali...-recording-law

Comment

PS - according to this, all parties to the conversation must consent in Cali.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/cali...-recording-law
                      The thing is I think she had the consent.

I'm aware of this law b/c I was thinking about recording a class I took on Skype without the teacher knowing. The legality depends on where you both are. There is no uniform rule.
                      --------

Comment

Why is everyone talking about legality?

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
                        The thing is I think she had the consent.

I'm aware of this law b/c I was thinking about recording a class I took on Skype without the teacher knowing. The legality depends on where you both are. There is no uniform rule.
                        It is not as if he is being prosecuted for anything, it is just been made public, kind of like Romney's 47% speech.

Once the NBA verified the tapes were real it is at their discretion what to do about it, as long as it does not violate NBA bylaws, they have a right to do it. It is not the government punishing him, it is the league he joined as an owner, and if they do not feel his views are in line with the leagues', then they have every right to oust him. Whether or not the recording is legal or not has no affect here, now that the bell was wrung so loudly they had to do something.
                        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'

Comment

The court of public opinion isn't affected, obviously.

However, although I don't really know what the criteria are under NBA internal rules, those rules are not immune to legal rights.
                          Last edited by slag; 04-29-2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Legally? Of course not. But let's not bury our heads in the sand and pretend that this shit doesn't happen all the time and often times without any real legal recourse. This has cost him far more than he'll ever get back in a law suit.

Do advertisers follow some imaginary rules where this leaked audio doesn't taint their association with the Clippers? The league still suffers, even though it wasn't recorded legally. Because of his actions, the integrity of his associates was called in to question and I don't see how they could be expected to act any differently. Especially when he's apparently admitted that it was him on the recording.
                            Last edited by Melchior; 04-29-2014, 07:40 PM.

Comment

The court of public opinion isn't affected, obviously.

However, although I don't really know what the criteria are under NBA internal rules, those rules are not immune to legal rights.
                              I agree with this post.
                              --------

Comment

Working...
                              X