Now let's talk about copyright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now let's talk about copyright

I know if you take a photograph, you own the copyright to the photo.

Does the same thing apply you a recording you made... of anything? Like a phone call, a conversation with Donald Sterling?
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

I don't think so. Copyright is intended to protect creative works, and I doubt that a recorded conversation would apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
      I don't think so. Copyright is intended to protect creative works, and I doubt that a recorded conversation would apply.
      So you would suggest that a photographic recording of a scene is the not same as a audio recording of the same scene?

I can attest that making a good audio recording is not easy and creativity is necessary. Just like setting up a good photo is not easy and creativity is important.

If I understand what you are saying somebody who just happened to capture a great moment in a photo is not protected by copyright law. They would just have been lucky and not creative.
      --------
      "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

I suppose the litmus test is the creative intent.

I did find this reference, if it helps:

http://books.google.com/books?id=4WK...yright&f=false

It states that a quotation recorded without the speaker's authorization is not protected by copyright.

Comment

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
          I know if you take a photograph, you own the copyright to the photo.

Does the same thing apply you a recording you made... of anything? Like a phone call, a conversation with Donald Sterling?
          Apparently he's already admitted the voice was his and that was enough for the NBA. The only thing that might raise an issue is possibly being able to sue the girlfriend...won't help him as far as being an actual owner, however...
          Last edited by Ground_Meat; 04-29-2014, 11:23 PM.

Comment

As much as he's a scumbag, I hate that tranny gold digger!

Comment

Working...
            X