I've watched Matthews quite a bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've watched Matthews quite a bit

I think he'll be better than Cooper. Pretty solid possession guy. Uses his frame well and is pretty polished from a route running standpoint. Put up huge numbers in the SEC when he was really the only legitimate threat defenses needed to worry about. Ripped the hearts out of my Volunteers this past season with a huge final drive.

Only concerns are he drops it on occasion (though not to the extent of a Lee or Benjamin), and he isn't a very explosive type of player. Certainly not drafted to duplicate what Jackson was able to do.

I like the pick, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't have preferred Robinson, and I don't see the reasoning in trading up. If he turns into the player I think he's capable of being though, it won't matter that they traded up for him.

J---didn't know you were from Knoxville. I grew up in Johnson City after moving from Philly in 1968. My Dad was from Erwin and didn't like the big city too much, my mom was from Philly. I graduated from Science Hill in 75.

Comment

Born and raised just outside of Knoxville (Blount County). I've got several friends from the Tri-Cities area and some other friends that go to ETSU. Seems like they all like it up there.

Steve Spurrier is the most famous alum of your alma mater, isn't he?

Comment

He is. And probably the 2nd most famous alumnus is the guy who plays Cary Agos on The Good Wife. He was a tennis champion for them in 1995. Several of my cousins live in Knoxville and I've been down there 3 of the last 4 years to visit my best friend from HS days and his family.
        Last edited by bobbyuk; 05-09-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Knoxville is a nice town. You should try to time your next visit to catch a game in Neyland. One of the best places to watch football in the country

Comment

I'll be in JC next Sept for our 40th reunion. Had to move the date because of UTs game against Oklahoma.

Comment

That's one game I'm not particularly looking forward to haha. Hard to win in Norman, especially as young as the Vols are

Comment

Better than Cooper?

Originally posted by JDuggernaut View Post
                I think he'll be better than Cooper. Pretty solid possession guy. Uses his frame well and is pretty polished from a route running standpoint. Put up huge numbers in the SEC when he was really the only legitimate threat defenses needed to worry about. Ripped the hearts out of my Volunteers this past season with a huge final drive.

Only concerns are he drops it on occasion (though not to the extent of a Lee or Benjamin), and he isn't a very explosive type of player. Certainly not drafted to duplicate what Jackson was able to do.

I like the pick, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't have preferred Robinson, and I don't see the reasoning in trading up. If he turns into the player I think he's capable of being though, it won't matter that they traded up for him.
                Better than Avant maybe

Comment

Yep. Better than Cooper. I know Matthews gave SEC defensive coordinators more trouble than Cooper ever did, and I think Matthews will do the same in the NFL

Comment

An interesting bit, in response to a question about drafting "smart" players, was Kelly's description (in a press conference on Pravda) of Matthews' interview with him.

He said when they looked at Vanderbilt film together (with the implication that Matthews had no idea what film they were going to watch), before every play they watched, he would tell Kelly the down and distance, his route, what the defender did, etc etc.

Kelly said when he pushed the "play" button it happened just like Matthews said it would.

Kelly also said that when he asked Matthews if he knew anything about the Eagles, he found out that Matthews had broken down film from 4 Eagles games before he came in.
                    Last edited by slag; 05-10-2014, 05:25 PM.
                    Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

I can remember things pretty good too.

Originally posted by slag View Post
                      An interesting bit, in response to a question about drafting "smart" players, was Kelly's description (in a press conference on Pravda) of Matthews' interview with him.

He said when they looked at Vanderbilt film together (with the implication that Matthews had no idea what film they were going to watch), before every play they watched, he would tell Kelly the down and distance, his route, what the defender did, etc etc.

Kelly said when he pushed the "play" button it happened just like Matthews said it would.

Kelly also said that when he asked Matthews if he knew anything about the Eagles, he found out that Matthews had broken down film from 4 Eagles games before he came in.
                      And I'm a hard worker. I think that means I have a chance to get drafted by Chip!
                      DB

Comment

From that post it appears you can be a dick also
                        Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                        X