Would the Eagles have had more leverage if they had kept Desean Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the Eagles have had more leverage if they had kept Desean Jackson

throughout the draft? They obviously wanted to get rid of Jackson, but what purpose was served by cutting him before the draft?

Only purpose I can see is that it was for Jackson's benefit (which would be commendable if that was the reason, IMO).

The Eagles got nothing in return so unless there was some financial advantage I don't get it.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

Originally posted by IronEagle View Post
    throughout the draft? They obviously wanted to get rid of Jackson, but what purpose was served by cutting him before the draft?

Only purpose I can see is that it was for Jackson's benefit (which would be commendable if that was the reason, IMO).

The Eagles got nothing in return so unless there was some financial advantage I don't get it.

Did the Browns ever get their receiver? Imagine what we could of gotten for Djacc once the Josh Gordon news broke.
    500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

PS. In an unrelated related matter, the Bills paid Stevie Johnson a $1.75 million bonus before trading him for a 4th rounder... NEXT YEAR.

So I guess 4th round draft picks next year are worth at least that much.
      --------

Comment

Chip better know what he's doing.

Comment

Originally posted by RSE View Post
          Chip better know what he's doing.
          For our sake, yes.

For his sake, he can always go back to college.

It's like a grand experiment for him. Hope it works out.
          --------

Comment

They

talked to teams and nobody wanted the contract, nuff said. They couldn't have gotten squat from even Cleveland, Cleveland didn't even draft a receiver after that news broke about Gordon.

Comment

Originally posted by weizer View Post
              talked to teams and nobody wanted the contract, nuff said. They couldn't have gotten squat from even Cleveland, Cleveland didn't even draft a receiver after that news broke about Gordon.
              Why not wait to release Jackson until after the draft?

For example, with Jackson on the roster, maybe New Orleans doesn't think they have to move up to take Cooks.

If the Eagles wanted Cooks, that would be the exact way to play it.

Unfortunately I believe the Eagles FO telegraphed their intentions way ahead of time.
              --------

Comment

Yes, I thought about this leading up to the draft. I think maybe they wanted him gone before volunteer workouts/ clause kicked in on his contract.

Comment

Was It Over When The Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, No!

I think the success Chip had in his first season means his college coaching days are over -- despite what Bluto said.

Mr. Kelly is an NFL coach, hopefully here for a long time, but with another team if he leaves here voluntarily or otherwise.
                  "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Welp, that seals it, Chip is going back to college. When Kelly "No Sports Knowledge" Green makes a proclamation, it's safe to assume the opposite will happen.

Comment

The whole affair was an inexplicable disaster. There's no justifying the way it went down. Very amateurish.

Comment

A few questions.

Who is a better WR: Stevie Johnson or DeSean Jackson?

Which team got compensated for trading Johnson or Jackson?

Which team controlled who they dealt the player to?

Seems to me you would like to deal a good player out of your division.

(On the other hand if you really believe a player is a cancer it might be sneaky good to have him end up with a division rival. But I don't think that is the case here.)
                        --------

Comment

They aggressively tried to move him at the owners' meetings ... it was pretty clear what their intentions were before they released him.
                          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by slag View Post
                            They aggressively tried to move him at the owners' meetings ... it was pretty clear what their intentions were before they released him.
                            Agreed. But again why release him before the draft? What was the benefit?

Like I said if they released Jackson at that time so he could make the best deal possible that is commendable. but I don't see the Eagles as being that sort of organization.

My impression is Lurie will sacrifice money for what he perceives that which is a better goal, but when it comes to employees he is cutthroat.
                            --------

Comment

Was there a bonus payment before the draft?

IDK.

Kelly stated some shit that insinuated they did it to give jackson the best chance to find another team, once they concluded they couldn't trade that contract, but whether that's PR bullshit or not is open to question.
                              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Working...
                              X