Preakness: any upset possibilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preakness: any upset possibilities?

or should I just cheer for California Chrome to break the Triple Crown drought?
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

difficult to handicap

Given that only two other Derby participants are in it and they finished 7th & 11th, it's sort of like starting all over again as far as handicapping.

For several of these horses it's a major step up in class (Social Inclusion has gone maiden, allowance, Wood Memorial and now Preakness in just 3 months). Dynamic Impact has some momentum after a win in Illinois. If Kid Cruz is close late then could cash.

It should be Chrome and the other three fighting for 2nd & 3rd.

Comment

I like Tuck Dance in a mild upset

Comment

I'm not sold on cc. He was able to run his race in the derby because the pace was so slow. There should be more speed here. If a horse like social inclusion gets a good trip and gets out front and cc tries to run on the lead, he could get beat - either by social inclusion or a closer. This field isnt terribly impressive though and if the pace is slow again, he should win. My two cents.
        "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

your two cents will get you a nickel back on cc today.

Agreed that this isn't one of the best Preakness fields of late. Any reason for so many no shows out of the Derby?

Comment

Probably most of the trainers felt their horses would need the extra rest if they were going to have any shot. Better to rest up and train for the mile and a half than to turn around on short rest and get beat again. It is unusual though.
            "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Sounds Good To Me -- But It's Almost Time To Hear "O Tannenbaum!"

I have never been able to understand why they play a Christmas song in May.
              "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

because it wasn't originally a christmas song.
                Tannenbaum is a traditional German folk song that was "adopted" by christmas 100 years after it was written

Comment

Only three Derby horses in the Preakness and they all finish in the Top 4 (and Gen. A Rod nearly caught Inclusion for 3rd). Furthers your comment about the unimpressive field.

I don't think CC can get it done in the Belmont if some of those other Derby horses get back in it. But if the field was like today, maybe.....

Comment

Regardless...

...the tune was a 16th century folk song -- the lyrics were written in 1824.

The words to "Maryland, My Maryland" were written in 1861 but it wasn't until 1939 that it became the state song.

Talk about a Johnny Come Lately!
                    "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Working...
                    X