Etrade, Ameritrade,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etrade, Ameritrade,

Scottrade, etc, Who do you use, who do like/dislike and why?

Thanks Stan

If you have to ask, day trading isn't for you.

Scott trade is cheapest if you have the resources.

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post

Don't be a dick.

Scott Trade has a local presence here, so my wife and I were going to try them, but I ended up finding an advisor I liked/trusted with Edward Jones. I'm sure there's a million cunty opinions like there are with any subject, but I feel like advisors are the way to go.
      -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post

OK, then!

Comment

I use Scottrade. I like it.
          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
            Don't be a dick.

Scott Trade has a local presence here, so my wife and I were going to try them, but I ended up finding an advisor I liked/trusted with Edward Jones. I'm sure there's a million cunty opinions like there are with any subject, but I feel like advisors are the way to go.
            Sorry - but it's just a good way to throw away money. Probably poorly stated.

But honestly, if you've got some real money, advisers are okay, depending on your goals. Otherwise, I'd go with a company like vanguard and straight index investing. It's cheap, it's effective, and if you have a medium-to-long horizon, you have little risk.

Edited to add: I like Edward Jones - their agents all run their own shops, so they're very individualized and they aren't shilling for some big company's products like some of the other places...
            Last edited by JuTMSY4; 05-23-2014, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I use tdameritrade. Then download think or swim from the site.

Comment

Long story short, the bulk of our savings/investments has been with Edward Jones, or invested in our own property/homes or businesses.

Over the last several years I have been tracking stocks that are directly related to my businesses that I would have liked to have bought and sold, dates of when I would have bought and sold, and prices of shares in/shares out.

They were some higher risk stocks that EJ will not touch that I would have done rather well with.

I just came into a couple of bucks that could be deemed disposable income, not a huge amount about 15,000, so I thought I would try my hand at it, that's all.

Thanks Stan

Comment

If you have your own strategy, experience or know what you're looking for, Scottrade is cheapest and will do the job. The rest of the places charge more for fluff. Take that for what it's worth.

Good luck

Comment

The company I work for is only two years old and has 6 employees, so I'm on my own in terms of retirement. I sought out EJ when I started here, and have been happy with them.

I've often thought about taking extra money and putting it in individual stocks that interest me, but part of me just thinks it's better to give it to EJ.
                    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                      The company I work for is only two years old and has 6 employees, so I'm on my own in terms of retirement. I sought out EJ when I started here, and have been happy with them.

I've often thought about taking extra money and putting it in individual stocks that interest me, but part of me just thinks it's better to give it to EJ.

I agree Slizz, EJ has treated us well, but they are (at least here) ultraconservative, just thought it might be interesting to give it a shot on my own.

Comment

I've done both, and they're both fine. The problem with having all that control is the panic you'll feel with the everyday convulsions of the market. I hated that, and I ended up yanking it out and putting it toward the my daughter's college loans.

If you have the extra bucks to invest, come up with 4 or 5 stocks, then buy and hold. Yeah, it isn't as "fun," but it's a lot simpler at tax time, and the stress level is a bit lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Susquehanna Birder View Post
                          I've done both, and they're both fine. The problem with having all that control is the panic you'll feel with the everyday convulsions of the market. I hated that, and I ended up yanking it out and putting it toward the my daughter's college loans.

If you have the extra bucks to invest, come up with 4 or 5 stocks, then buy and hold. Yeah, it isn't as "fun," but it's a lot simpler at tax time, and the stress level is a bit lower.

It seems after a couple of years of tracking the stocks that I am talking about that they seem to all be "seasonal" in that there is a time to buy and hold for maybe 7-9 months make a couple of bucks and get out.

I'm not trying to be a day trader and constantly shift stocks/shares. But I have NO experience in actually trading myself, that's why I asked.

Every hear of Kingtrade?
                          Last edited by Eagle Road; 05-23-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I don't use either

But I do have a sock with $547 and a Nate Ilaoa rookie card that I'm hoping to cash in.
                            The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
                              It seems after a couple of years of tracking the stocks that I am talking about that they seem to all be "seasonal" in that there is a time to buy and hold for maybe 7-9 months make a couple of bucks and get out.

I'm not trying to be a day trader and constantly shift stocks/shares. But I have NO experience in actually trading myself, that's why I asked.

Every hear of Kingtrade?
                              Just remember if you hold for less than a year it's not a long term capital gain and you lose the lower tax rate.

I adhere to Susq's philosophy. When I got divorced I took my share of the proceeds of the sale of the house and put it into the market. I've done well, but it's been hard not to do well the last few years. I own many different stocks in different sectors and I try to hold on to them for at least a year unless one of them is a real loser or if one goes up so much I feel compelled to lock in a profit. At least once a year I try to rebalance things.

I use Charles Schwab because I like the resources they have for research. If you already know what you want to buy and sell, that's not so valuable. They are on the higher end of cost per trade, but like I said I don't trade too frequently so an extra dollar or so per trade doesn't hurt me.
                              --------
                              "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Working...
                              X