The statistics on US casualties from war is staggering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The statistics on US casualties from war is staggering

Thank you to all who serve or gave your life for our freedom.

@JohnCarvalhoAU: Think of these numbers today: Iraq/Afg--5,281; Vietnam--47,424; Korea--33,686; WWII--291,557; WWI--53,402. #MemorialDay

A thousand Thanks to all who served

Now multiply all those numbers by 25 and you'd have a better idea of the impact of War on their friends & families. My wife is doing some work with the Wounded Warriors program and its a real eye- opener seeing how they all struggle with the serious injuries they'll carry for the rest of their lives... lives they put on the line for the rest of us.

Comment

Agreed, thanks to all, I just wish it would stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post
        Thank you to all who serve or gave your life for our freedom.

@JohnCarvalhoAU: Think of these numbers today: Iraq/Afg--5,281; Vietnam--47,424; Korea--33,686; WWII--291,557; WWI--53,402. #MemorialDay
        Agreed. Except for the "for our freedom" bit. Thank You!

As KG will point out, the last bonafide "for our freedom" war on our soil took more lives in one legendary weekend battle 150 years ago than the entirety of the vietnam war.

Comment

I would argue our freedom was at stake during WWII. If Europe fell, the natural progression would have been for Germany to attack from the Atlantic and Japan from the Pacific

Comment

Originally posted by The Ref View Post
            Agreed. Except for the "for our freedom" bit. Thank You!

As KG will point out, the last bonafide "for our freedom" war on our soil took more lives in one legendary weekend battle 150 years ago than the entirety of the vietnam war.

You could not help yourself. Way to turn this thread into something it was not intended to be.
            500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

La Ref is a blithering idiot

The Civil war was about preserving the union and ending slavery. WWI and WWII were about stopping global tyranny and preserving the freedom of millions of people around the world, and yes, potentially even us.
              "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Let me turn it into something else then ... I was late for the congratulations for finishing school thread ... so, congratulations.
                Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Wounded warriors is a great organization

One of the top charities on our support list
                  "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

You're Correct, Ref Ref -- But The Even More Sobering Stat...

If you add those figures from the five conflicts, the total is 431,350.

For years, the accepted figure for deaths in the Civil War (War of Northern Aggression, War Between The States, etc.) was 618,222 -- but in 2012 those figures were revised based on new computerized census totals and newly discovered government documents. The revised total, accepted by most historians, is 750,000.

The number of brilliant, creative minds -- scholars -- authors -- inventors -- athletes -- politicians, mothers and fathers -- who were never born because of the insanity of war, is beyond comprehension.

To those who served thank you one and all. To those who died, we will never forget.
                    "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                      One of the top charities on our support list
                      The idea of the wounded warrior charity is tremendous. I have heard not much of the money goes to those who needit though. I haven't looked at guide star for their tax records as of yet to know if it is true or not.

It is a shame that we need a wounded warrior charity for so many reasons.

Comment

And Iraq was a steaming pile of crap.

In any case, props to all our military in every war. Theirs is not to reason why.
                        Last edited by Maniac; 05-26-2014, 09:57 PM.
                        Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by harls View Post
                          The idea of the wounded warrior charity is tremendous. I have heard not much of the money goes to those who need it though. I haven't looked at guide star for their tax records as of yet to know if it is true or not.

It is a shame that we need a wounded warrior charity for so many reasons.
                          One of the challenges as we're finding out is that while there are many programs and charitable assistance available, not enough of the wounded warrior families take advantage of it. Why not ? That's part of the work University of San Diego is currently involved in. These are families that are steeped in self- sufficiency from the word go. Now they have to ask for help and it isn't easy on any of them. The biggest, strongest, toughest young Americans are injured/maimed - and for many its a matter of pride instilled in them as part of their training.
                          They are trained to tough it out. So they do.

Comment

Working...
                          X