OT- Kauai should be on your bucket list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Kauai should be on your bucket list

Since its relatively quiet around here, I thought I'd share a bit about our recent trip to Kauai

I know Riccardo and others have talked about it and our trip was absolutely fantastic. No crowds, great weather, excellent surfing. Quite a few triathletes training here year-round

We spent 1/2 the trip on the south shore ( Poipu) and 1/2 on the north - (Ha'ena) surfing, snorkeling, aerial tour, hiking, beach fires, drinking and a bit of pakalolo from the locals.

In many ways its a trip back in time because there aren't a thousand rules and nobody is standing there looking to collect a fee every time you go to the beach. ( SoCal)
    So laid back and while the south shore is sunnier, its got a few more tourists than the north. Can't recommend it enough, especially when winter is kicking your ass. This is where we stayed on the north shore and Tunnels beach was a short walk and Ke'e beach a 5 minute drive

Kauai is the best island imo, not nearly as many tourists as Maui, Oahu or the Big Island. 5 stars awesome

Thanks for posting. I'm researching a trip to Hawaii for my honeymoon, and it's really tough to pick which island to go to. I'm between Kauai and Maui. The latter seems to have more restaurants, things to do, etc, but I love the undeveloped appeal of Kauai too. Tough call.

Comment

Do both - I did Maui and Kauai on my honeymoon - 5 days in each. I'd do Kuaui first, then Maui.

Comment

Definitely thinking about it. Like the idea of not having to worry about travel too much, but I know it's fairly easy to get around between the islands.

Comment

It's one hop mid-trip. The two islands have different stuff to do. You go to Kuaui to veg for the 1st half - perhaps do a heli tour, etc.

Then you do Maui and go for the nicer resorts, better food, Mt. Haleakala, the highway, etc.

Comment

We opted for VRBO ( Vacation rental by owner) instead of the resorts, but for a honeymoon, you may feel differently.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/kauai

Its pricey going out for every meal, so we loved having our own house/condo and they all come furnished with a BBQ + boogie boards, coolers, chairs, snorkel gear etc. Otherwise, ya can rent all the stuff you need

Can't lose with either choice and both is even better.
            NaPali coast is tough to beat...

And I'd also recommend the book " Hidden Hawaii"- great resource for finding awesome off-the-beaten path non-tourist locations.

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post
              We opted for VRBO ( Vacation rental by owner) instead of the resorts, but for a honeymoon, you may feel differently.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/kauai

Its pricey going out for every meal, so we loved having our own house/condo and they all come furnished with a BBQ + boogie boards, coolers, chairs, snorkel gear etc. Otherwise, ya can rent all the stuff you need

Can't lose with either choice and both is even better.
              NaPali coast is tough to beat...

And I'd also recommend the book " Hidden Hawaii"- great resource for finding awesome off-the-beaten path non-tourist locations.
              Yeah, under normal circumstances I love grilling on a beach vacation, but it's a honeymoon so I think this trip is gonna have a different feel to it. I'm leaning towards focusing on Kauai and really trying to see as much of this one island as I can, but at least a few days in Maui is tempting. good dilemma to have.

Comment

Originally posted by capitaleagle View Post
                Yeah, under normal circumstances I love grilling on a beach vacation, but it's a honeymoon so I think this trip is gonna have a different feel to it.
                Exactly.

Couple of friends got married and had their honeymoon at Shipwreck Beach in Poipu. Couple of really nice resorts there including the Hyatt

Congrats and enjoy it

Comment

Originally posted by PackWest View Post
                  Exactly.

Couple of friends got married and had their honeymoon at Shipwreck Beach in Poipu. Couple of really nice resorts there including the Hyatt

Congrats and enjoy it
                  Thanks man -- the Hyatts probably the place we'll go, actually. And I just love that when you get tired of sitting poolside/on the beach you can go explore or canyon or a mountain range. Sounds perfect.

Comment

dont be a bitch. do both. stay at the Hyatt or St Regis in Kauai or Four Season in Maui.
                    WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

[QUOTE=Diggle;1763815]dont be a bitch. do both. stay at the Hyatt or St Regis in Kauai or Four Season in Maui.[/QUOTE

Diamond Fucking Jim
                      "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Comment

Its his honeymoon. No time for Hampton Inns.

Comment

Four Seasons Maui is best hotel I've ever stayed at. Perfect honeymoon spot.

Comment

Dude they mist u with Evian at the pool. Its so geigh. But yes best hotel ever

Comment

Wow ain't that something!

Originally posted by Bardy View Post
                              Do both - I did Maui and Kauai on my honeymoon - 5 days in each. I'd do Kuaui first, then Maui.
                              I did my Honeymoon at the Roosevelt Drive In Movie Theater!
                              "Never Look Back, Something May Be Gaining On You."

Comment

Working...
                              X