70 yrs ago today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 yrs ago today...

The true heroes stormed the beaches and fought their way inland! Just wanted to say thanks to all the veterans on this board and to all the vets everywhere...

Veterans Day should be everyday! Thanks again to all who sacrificed so much...

Sorry if already posted.

agreed...good post

thanks to all the vets out there, and especially to those of "the greatest generation."
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Comment

The CBC has been doing a up to the minute timeline of what happened this day 70 years ago on D-Day. We have a few men that are members at the course that I own with my parents that are vets and a few were there for D-Day. They have told me some incredible stories over the years. They have my utmost respect, and as IG said "The Greatest Generation."
      Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

Great post.

Many of them were heroes.

Hate the French all you want, but they have a clue and honor those that helped boot the Nazi swine out of their country.
        John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

My uncle bernie came off Omaha with a German luger in his hand, because his rifle jammed, and a medal of valor for saving 3 other soldiers who were drowning in the surf.

His brother, my uncle John Anthony was a tail gunner in a B29 doing missions over Germany to "watch over his brother".

Braves dudes, all of them.

Comment

This is a good read:

http://thechive.com/2014/06/06/our-g...aram=Dailymail

Comment

Theirs was a generation of MEN. True heroes.

Rock solid individuals who we all owe a tremendous amount of debt and gratitude.

My grandfather dropped out of Ithaca College to join the navy and serve in WW2. He was permitted by his CO to bring home the last flag that flew on his ship when they returned stateside.

I hang his framed, wind torn, ship's flag in my house with pride. I find myself staring at it daily. Counting the 48 stars, looking at every hole, tear, etc just trying to remember him and all who served then and still do now.
              Last edited by Ellsworth; 06-07-2014, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellsworth View Post

Awesome!
                Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

Anybody Catch The Brian Williams Special On NBC?

It was an hour spotlighting four amazing men who were part of the invasion. A 91-year old infantryman was the youngest; the others were a paratrooper with 101st, a glider pilot and a sailor on the USS Corry, which struck a mine and sank while shelling German positions. Excellent job by Williams and the production team -- the finished product was put together Friday after the remembrances had concluded.

My dad was 30 and one of the oldest in his company of the 30th Infantry Division (Old Hickory), which was part of the followup waves. I have so many questions I wish I could ask, but I was 12 when he passed away from lung cancer in 1963. Only near the end did he talk about it a little bit.

They really were The Greatest Generation.
                  "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

KG

http://pilotonline.com/

A few if not all of those 4 live in VA Beach. Here's a local paper 7-part series on them.

Comment

Thank You, Sir

Gully Gullikson was the sailor on the special. They said on the show the ship hit a mine but added others felt it was a German shell. Either way, he was in the water for two hours, watching what was happening on the beach before another destroyer picked up survivors.

Thanks for sharing.
                      "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

Cool.

My mother had four of six brothers serve in the military during WWII. Can't imagine how my grandmother must have felt during those times.

Comment

Nice

My Dad and FIL both served in WWII. My Dad in the Army Air Corps in Italy with a bomber group and my FIL was in the navy in the Pacific - served on a destroyer that was hit by more kamikazi planes than any other and still survived.

Cue la la ref to shit all over this thread...
                          "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

The Ref's older brother died in Vietnam.

I'm just saying.

Comment

I hang his framed, wind torn, ship's flag in my house with pride. I find myself staring at it daily. Counting the 48 stars, looking at every hole, tear, etc just trying to remember him and all who served then and still do now.
                              Goosebumps man.

Comment

Working...
                              X