best streaming device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best streaming device

My old Nintendo Wii finally bit the dust, so I need a new streaming device for my living room. Currently I have a roku in the bedroom, but since I'm considering options, if like to hear everyone's experiences and preferences.

Chromecast, fire tv, Apple tv, another roku. My one issue is things like hulu refuse to work on my roku, so if like that option - even if I have to tinker with the device...

I've got Apple TV in three rooms, and Chromecast in another. Very pleased with Apple TV, but I also get a lot of movies on iTunes. But it still has Netflix, HBO, Hulu, ESPN, WWE, sports packages, etc, so it still has a lot to offer outside of Apple stuff.

Chromecast really just enables you to stream stuff from devices to the TV. It's fine, but doesn't support all the services.

I'm interested in Fire TV, but I was reading some specs the other day and saw it doesn't have HBO Go, so that's a dealbreaker.
    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Apple tv

has been the tits for me

Comment

ROKU 3. Have a roku xs (roku2) and after I got sick of the Wii remote in the bedroom we moved the xs in there and got a roku 3 for the main tv room. It's vastly improved from the xs. Everything about the box is faster and more stable. The remote has a headphone jack built in, which I thought was stupid, until I had house guests and was wide awake at 3 am. Streaming Hulu issues are non-existent for me on the 3.

Apple TV (rev 3) is around $140 on amazon, Roku 3 clocking in at $90. Not sure what you get for the extra $50 beans. If I owned a bunch of apple products I might be inclined to roll that way, but I don't so...Roku 3+ is my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by inkdrop View Post
          ROKU 3. Have a roku xs (roku2) and after I got sick of the Wii remote in the bedroom we moved the xs in there and got a roku 3 for the main tv room. It's vastly improved from the xs. Everything about the box is faster and more stable. The remote has a headphone jack built in, which I thought was stupid, until I had house guests and was wide awake at 3 am. Streaming Hulu issues are non-existent for me on the 3.

Apple TV (rev 3) is around $140 on amazon, Roku 3 clocking in at $90. Not sure what you get for the extra $50 beans. If I owned a bunch of apple products I might be inclined to roll that way, but I don't so...Roku 3+ is my vote.
          Apple TV generation 3 is 99$ anywhere in store and often has deals. Best buy gave a 25$ iTunes card with it this past week.

Comment

does anyone have experience with both an apple tv and a roku? I gave up on Apple years ago and while I'm not against trying one of their products again, everyone seems to have just been happy with what they got.

I can't even find a difference between a roku and apple tv in terms of what I'd use it for (netflix, Amazon prime, etc). At that rate, Roku has the better price and I'm familiar with it.

Comment

Depends on what your goals are for the device. But, I have a bunch of Raspberry Pi's on every TV in the house. It works perfectly for what my wants and needs are in a streaming device. Mostly able to stream movies/tv shows from my already established/dedicated home personal server.

You can stream Netflix, HULU Plus, etc...

Comment

Which ATV did you have? The big one with the hard drive, or the little black one?

The big one sucked hard. The black one is fantastic.
                -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

oh no

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                  Which ATV did you have? The big one with the hard drive, or the little black one?

The big one sucked hard. The black one is fantastic.
                  I meant, I gave up on Apple products. I'm a windows user and I was tired of using their proprietary software for everything - plus android phones are far superior with gmail, calendaring (which i use frequently), etc. So I have never owned an apple tv

I do own a Roku and I really like it, but I wanted to get some ideas

Comment

I'm not the Apple fluffier I used to be. I prefer my Kindle HDX to the iPad, but the Apple TV has been rock solid. My Smart TV, PS4, Chromecast, Wii, etc have all had issues loading content at one point or another where I've had to restart. I've had no such issues with the Apple TV.
                    -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by JuTMSY4 View Post
                      My old Nintendo Wii finally bit the dust, so I need a new streaming device for my living room. Currently I have a roku in the bedroom, but since I'm considering options, if like to hear everyone's experiences and preferences.

Chromecast, fire tv, Apple tv, another roku. My one issue is things like hulu refuse to work on my roku, so if like that option - even if I have to tinker with the device...
                      Chromecast is getting better and it's still relatively cheap.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chr...cast/apps.html

If you want another gaming system, I use my PS3 and/or PS4 for a lot of streaming now - at least video streaming. HBOGO finally made it to PS3 but not PS4 yet and they have Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, Crackle, Netflix and RedBox on Demand.
                      --
                      Your Retarded

Comment

I saw Redbox on PS4 when I was setting everything up. Is it a subscription or payWangNutsas you go?
                        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I saw Redbox on PS4 when I was setting everything up. Is it a subscription or payWangNutsas you go?
                          I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure. I thought it was more of an On-Demand type deal and you pay per movie but I could be wrong.

I also think somehow I can set it up through my FiOS service but I'm not sure of the details. I just know that it's a option now.

Hope that was informative
                          --
                          Your Retarded

Comment

It would make sense with the Fios thing. Dish Network had the same deal with Blockbuster, but that didn't work out so well.
                            -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

I'm interested in Fire TV, but I was reading some specs the other day and saw it doesn't have HBO Go, so that's a dealbreaker.
                              That's strange because Amazon recently inked a major deal with HBO.

http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-prim...tch-hbo-shows/

Edit-- Check it, the article says "The HBO Go app will also land on Amazon's Fire TV later this year."
                              --------
                              "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Working...
                              X