Anthony from Opie & Anthony shitcanned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slag View Post
    Actually, you generally don't need any reason to fire people.
    So. To be clear. Its not a violation of free speech?
    --
    Your Retarded

Comment

I just call him the Duck guy ... and, as indicated in my edit, the reason he only got a time out and Alec got shitcanned is pretty clearly the ratings difference in their shows.

I also understand Alec was being a general pain in the ass and they were probably dancing in the MSNBC offices when the story broke.
      Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

To fire someone?

Are you serious?

Comment

PS - my guess is that (unlike most people) he had a contract, so they probably did need a reason to fire him and used kind of morals clause to do it ... but I don't know for sure.

Comment

I just call him the Duck guy ... and, as indicated in my edit, the reason he only got a time out and Alec got shitcanned is pretty clearly the ratings difference in their shows.

I also understand Alec was being a general pain in the ass and they were probably dancing in the MSNBC offices when the story broke.
            So behavior can have consequences (or not) without rights being violated?

Or did the liberals trample poor Alec's (Baldwin) rights?
            --
            Your Retarded

Comment

PS - my guess is that (unlike most people) he had a contract, so they probably did need a reason to fire him and used kind of morals clause to do it ... but I don't know for sure.
              So were his 1st Amendment rights violated?
              --
              Your Retarded

Comment

Can it already ... or are you suggesting that I'm Joe the blogger?

Comment

Don't really know ... some states have local statutes that cover wrongful termination for exercising free speech.

It's a complicated question and I don't know enough facts, but it's not likely with a private employer and statements that I'm pretty sure didn't qualify as a matter of public concern.

Comment

I was wondering that too

Don't really know ... some states have local statutes that cover wrongful termination for exercising free speech.

It's a complicated question and I don't know enough facts, but it's not likely with a private employer and statements that I'm pretty sure didn't qualify as a matter of public concern.
                    I guess the Supreme Court has incorporated state actions and even municipal actions into the first amendment, hasn't it? Otherwise I don't suppose we'd have all those stupid Christmas putz stories every year. Yes, I said "putz"
                    which is different than "platz."
                    DB

Comment

Actually, I think the bigger issue is whether a State Constitution provides more rights.

Most of them track the same numbers in their amendments and, as you know, they can provide wider rights (but not reduce any federal constitutional right).

Comment

yeah, I've been arguing so much about pre-emption lately...

Actually, I think the bigger issue is whether a State Constitution provides more rights.

Most of them track the same numbers in their amendments and, as you know, they can provide wider rights (but not reduce any federal constitutional right).
                        ...that I'm sick of my own arguments. I've even thrown some Commerce Clause action at some state laws/regulations too. The only thing that works is the first amendment stuff.
                        DB

Comment

There really shouldn't be any argument here

Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences that come from the words you say. What he said on Twitter would have gotten 95% of the people in this country fired. The problem with these "shock jocks" is that they don't know how to turn it off. They have to be in shock mode all the time, and sometimes it comes back to bite them in the ass. This is one of those times.
                          The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Fair enough

Originally posted by TerpEagle View Post
                            Yes, I find it outrageous that people who claim that 1st Amendment rights are being violated don't have the first clue what they're talking about - especially when it's elected and/or people trying to be elected officials that are making the claims. Maybe they need to re-examine their pocket Constitutions.
                            I assume you are also outraged at President Obama's need to re-examine his pocket constitution, on multiple issues.
                            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                              I assume you are also outraged at President Obama's need to re-examine his pocket constitution, on multiple issues.
                              I'm not pleased by it, nor am I surprised or naive to expect anything less. Electing a President is simply choosing which person/party gets to wield excessive executive power.

I'm not ready to resort to rage-filled anarcho-capitalism over it, though.
                              Last edited by TerpEagle; 07-06-2014, 09:41 PM.
                              --
                              Your Retarded

Comment

Didn't your boy Bush

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                                Use executive orders 291 times during his presidency ?
                                The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X