First hoops post since NBA draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First hoops post since NBA draft

too lazy to go back on the board, but what were the Sixers supposed to do with the third pick? They really had no choice...I'm OK with taking Imbiid. He will take a couple years to develop anyway, doesn't really matter he'll be out this year. Noel looks like he was worth waiting for .Saw almost all of that first Summer League game and who knows if he can be a star, but if healthy he is going to help the Sixers a lot.

The move I had a problem with was passing on McBuckets with their second pick. I know the experts are mixed on him...I think he's going to be good offensively, possibly very good.
    Last edited by Irish George; 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

The McBuckets pick comes down to Hinkie thinking in 2 seasons that Saric will be the significantly superior player. McBuckets could score some points and fill some seats in the meantime, but it seems Hinkie thinks Saric makes them a better contender for a title, even if they have to wait a few seasons for him to come here.
    Last edited by Sect 236; 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I know nothing about that guy

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
      The McBuckets pick comes down to Hinkie thinking in 2 seasons that Saric will be the significantly superior player. McBuckets could score some points and fill some seats in the meantime, but it seems Hinkie thinks Saric makes them a better contender for a title, even if they have to wait a few seasons for him to come here.
      and obviously Hinkie will look very smart if that's how it pans out. I know what I have seen for two amazing years with McDermott. But another thing we'll just have to wait on.
      May 7, 2010

Comment

Kukoc comparisons abound.
        John Erlichman, one of President Richard Nixon's closest aides, has admitted America's "War on Drugs" was a hoax designed to vilify and disrupt "the antiwar left and black people" when it was launched in 1971.

Comment

Embiid was a great pick and the obvious choice. Everyone believes that Nerlens Noel will be the 5 and Embiid the 4. However, I think Noel is athletic and more suited for the 4 and Embiid the 5 as it stands today.

I understand that Noel isn't going to knock down 15 footers and maybe Embiid will be the guy to develop a long range game, so maybe that's the thinking, but Noel isn't just a defensive body. I think he has offensive skills, but needs to keep bulking up.

F any trade rumors involving these two guys. You keep them both and see how that plays out.

I get what you are saying about McDermott.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
            Kukoc comparisons abound.
            Just saw Brett Brown on Comcast, he said Saric has reminded him of different players at different times: Kukoc, Hedo Turkoglu and Boris Diaw.

Comment

Brown also referenced Duncan and Robinson on what he sees Noel and Embiid becoming.

"You have to guard before you do anything of we're all wasting our time," he said.

Neil Hartman asked him if he was nervous about not having a pure shooter and his response?

"I am. For sure."

He went on to talk about how he's got a lot of young kids that he needs to develop and teach how to be NBA players. Personally, I just love his honesty about his fear of not having a shooter, but also his confidence in his ability to mold his guys into what he needs.

Comment

I'm getting tired of the player comparisons

its just lazy...Tell me what you like about a guy's game, not who he reminds you of. I knew it was out of hand when I heard Imbiid compared to Akeem. Come on.

I like Noel because he hustles, plays unselfishly and is a good passer, has very quick feet and a strong first step to the basket.

Oh, and there's that smokestack. I guess I could have said he reminds me of "Kid" from Kid and Play.
                May 7, 2010

Comment

I agree with all that has been said. Although, I really think KJ McDaniels has a chance to be pretty damn good. He is athletic as hell and can really guard and rebound... Pissed I have to watch Jerami Grant more

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
                    its just lazy...Tell me what you like about a guy's game, not who he reminds you of. I knew it was out of hand when I heard Imbiid compared to Akeem. Come on.
                    Eh, it happens in every sport. The fact that so many NBA scouts and talent evaluators compare Embiid to The Dream has gotta make you a little bit excited, even if you don't like the comparison game.

As far as Saric, I like that at 6'10" he's an as good if not better passer/facilitator as/than many PGs. I like that he bangs on the boards. I like his versatility to play multiple positions. I like that at the age of 20 he's already been playing professionally for 5 years, resulting in a very high basketball IQ. His offensive game is a work in progress. He can shoot it, but as of now, he needs to set his feet to be truly effective.

Right now, Dougie is the better player because of his ability to shoot the rock, but Dougie has just about reached his ceiling. Saric represents the higher ceiling, and to a guy like Hinkie who is building for the long term, that's more important than "better right now."

Comment

Olajuwon was very active up and down the court coming out of college. They don't compare in that regard at the same point in their careers. Olajuwon was maybe the most active big man ever. Great stamina and hustle.

Embiid and Noel are great prospects. They have to keep them both. Getting a scorer and other missing puzzle pieces well be much easier.

McDermott made a lot o sense to me. At worst, he would be instant offense off the bench.

Comment

Embiid at the 5 at 7 foot.
                        Noel at the 4 at 7 foot
                        Saric at the 3 at 6'10"
                        XXXX at the 2 at XXX
                        MCW at the 1 at 6'6"

The potential length of this future team has me drooling. Should be difficult to get it into the paint and could be a block party once they get there.

McBuckets would scare me defensively and in the paint. Too slow to guard a lot of 3s in the league and might not be strong enough to score in the paint in the NBA.

Comment

Saric is not the greatest defender out there by any means, but being 6-10 helps. I do like Saric's ability to pass on the move and he plays with a lot of stamina up and down the court. He still needs some development, IMO.

The Sixers need to keep looking for 3 and 2's that can generate their own shots and play solid defense... not even great defense. That shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by udontknowme View Post
                            Embiid at the 5 at 7 foot.
                            Noel at the 4 at 7 foot
                            Saric at the 3 at 6'10"
                            XXXX at the 2 at XXX
                            MCW at the 1 at 6'6"

The potential length of this future team has me drooling. Should be difficult to get it into the paint and could be a block party once they get there.
                            Even watching the Summer League game last night, you can see the length and athleticism they already have in place. Noel alters almost every shot in the paint. Even when he's not in the play, as Rick Mahorn said, his "ghost" aka the thought in your mind that he might be there, does. He gets his hands on passes and can poke the ball out of the ball handlers hands as well.

KJ McDaniels looks like he might be a steal. Offensively, not a finished product, but he too is long, athletic and active. He can hit open 3s though.

Jerami Grant sucks offensively, but again, long, athletic and active. Hell, even Ronald Roberts Jr. from Saint Joe's has been playing well and fits that same mold.

Hollis Thompson has looked improved this offseason so far as well.

It's Summer League, so clearly they're not playing against top competition, but it's exciting and promising nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Queen View Post
                              The Sixers need to keep looking for 3 and 2's that can generate their own shots and play solid defense... not even great defense. That shouldn't be a problem.
                              I think they're trying to build the Spurs style of play. Pass, pass, pass until you find the open man. Play team ball. Play D.

MCW can obviously pass. Saric and Embiid are known for their passing abilities at their sizes and positions. Noel, in his brief time playing, has shown an ability to pass.

Brown has said that shooting is the easiest skill to teach. That's why they're adding guys like Hollis, McDaniels, Wroten etc. Athletic wings who can hit an open 3.
                              Last edited by Sect 236; 07-09-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X