Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

...it is enjoying today's weather in Ocean City.
    Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
    May 7, 2010

Speaking of ducks

What's the dealio with the capn ahab 10 miler? I'm gonna be in florida july 18 - 30 in search of potential retirement spots. We gotta plan yet for the 2nd?
    "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

its a clusterfuck

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
      What's the dealio with the capn ahab 10 miler? I'm gonna be in florida july 18 - 30 in search of potential retirement spots. We gotta plan yet for the 2nd?
      Almost impossible gettting on and around the island that day. Parking even more difficult. Race packet pickup is day of race only. saturday is "changeover day" for weekly rentals so you also have shoobie migration out the wazoo. I would recommend getting a room for the night before but that's an arm and a leg if you can find one.

They now have jitneys running the length of the island, so I will probably park up in the 70s among the numbered streets where its not so tight and grab the jitney to the starting line. We should meet up for a pre-race picture before the starter's gun goes off.

All that said, it always seems to work out OK, but by the time you finish you are prolly just want to get the hell off the island ASAP
      May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
        ...it is enjoying today's weather in Ocean City.
        You have a lot of flooding in OC? ...had a good amount in Sea Isle...

Comment

Weather's gorgeous up here at the Lake Erie beaches!

Comment

the usual streets

Wesley (almost) never floods.
            May 7, 2010

Comment

I cant complain

after a horrible early spring, late spring and summer weather here has been mostly phenomenal.
              May 7, 2010

Comment

Get a hotel, but its really expensive. And you're not going to want to be here on a weekend. Park in the 70s, find a jitney. Check. LOL.

Good thing Riccardo and I are dealing with a such a knowledgeable insider. This is like Trip Advisor on steroids.
                Last edited by AthensEagle; 07-10-2014, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Hahaha...

Originally posted by AthensEagle View Post
                  Get a hotel, but its really expensive. And you're not going to want to be here on a weekend. Park in the 70s, find a jitney. Check. LOL.

Good thing Riccardo and I are dealing with a such a knowledgeable insider. This is like Trip Advisor on steroids.
                  It's like IG is saying, "eh don't even bother coming, it's gonna blow!"

Seriously tho it doesn't make sense to come up the night before - get tossed out of a hotel by noon anyways so what good is that? Was still thinking about possibly staying somewhere nearby sat night. What's your plan?

Comment

Classic IRISH GEORGE:

Poster: Anyone know a good restaurant in New York City?

IRISH GEORGE: We'll, if you go to Philadelphia you can get a good meal at ---------.

It's like the Kelly Green Baltimore Airport story of restaurant posts.

Comment

Given the advice of our wizened local, I'm probably going to park wherever the hell I can (and perhaps take a jitney) and then leave the island and stay the night at my regular crash pad in Philadelphia. But yes, we do need to do before and after pics.

Comment

I'm getting killed today!!!

Dont make me take a high gay tiss!!!
                        May 7, 2010

Comment

logistically, it does blow. No question.

its fucking gridlock that day because its the height of vacation season and its changeover day. 99 percent of the rental units change hands on Saturday. Plus you've got an additional 2,000 cars in town from the runners alone. You only have four streets running the length of the island and they will be paralyzed.

You have to pick up your race number something like two hours before the starting gun (at least...they shut it down...should be on the entry form I forget the exact time). That leaves you with at least a couple hours to kill on a hot day.

If I am lucky enough to find a parking spot within walking distance of the start (between, say 40th and 48th) I will recline my seat and try to snooze. There is also metered parking within walking distance, but there's not enough time on the meters to run the race and feed the meter. A couple years ago I parked in a metered spot and gave quarters and a $5 tip in advance to a kid in a nearby ice cream joint.

Its all worth it though...this is my favorite race of all time. great fan support, unique course and lots of tail to look at. I'll have beers in a cooler for after, although you guys will have a long wait for me!
                          May 7, 2010

Comment

Here's the start

It's like a cattle chute for the first mile. Then you come to the end of the "promenade" ... basically an asphalt boardwalk...and the humanity spreads out on the beach and you fast guys will have room to run.

Last edited by Irish George; 07-10-2014, 09:12 PM.
                            May 7, 2010

Comment

wow that's ridicilis

I'm not planning on going that fast. Just hope I don't get suckered into a faster pace and then burn out (literally)

Comment

Working...
                              X