I changed the C O P's & plugs on my 4.6l V8 Ford today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I changed the C O P's & plugs on my 4.6l V8 Ford today

and I have to say after 8.5 hrs of beating the crap out of my body; My God,,felt like 1st day of camp for me too.. for those who don't know what coil on plug jobs are like..3 of the back 4 are under the firewall..

No. 8 Cyl,,drivers side rear was fouled so badly, I could not get past all the gunk to get a socket on it...4.5 hrs working on it,,Finally moved to the rest of the Job,,,and by 5pm I got back to 8 and used a vacuum and wire to get in there...MAN FORD SUCK BALLS with this Design,,and its all to make Money...I Like my truck,,but Im selling it,,this was the last time,,,job from hell even for an experienced Mech..which I'm not..but I can do some jobs,,$1500 at the dealership,,,for spark plugs and caps,,,give me a break.....!

anyway how was 1st day of camp??!!!:D
    Last edited by TRENT; 07-25-2014, 09:37 PM.
    OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
    "BFTR"

Originally posted by TRENT View Post
    and I have to say after 8.5 hrs of beating the crap out of my body; My God,,felt like 1st day of camp for me too.. for those who don't know what coil on plug jobs are like..3 of the back 4 are under the firewall..

No. 8 Cyl,,drivers side rear was fouled so badly, I could not get past all the gunk to get a socket on it...4.5 hrs working on it,,Finally moved to the rest of the Job,,,and by 5pm I got back to 8 and used a vacuum and wire to get in there...MAN FORD SUCK BALLS with this Design,,and its all to make Money...I Like my truck,,but Im selling it,,this was the last time,,,job from hell even for an experienced Mech..which I'm not..but I can do some jobs,,$1500 at the dealership,,,for spark plugs and caps,,,give me a break.....!

anyway how was 1st day of camp??!!!:D

Just be damn glad you didn't break off a plug, that's why the dealer charges so much, because they can be a bitch and the chance of a broken plug is very good.

I have 5.4 in my truck, same deal, however, I only change plugs every 100,000, and I'm at 170,000 so yeah, I'll be trading it soon!:D

Comment

you have to be smart and Patient

and know when to apply pressure and when to back off...its the angle which you have to work at that makes the job so hard,,,and its all Fords doing,,if you don't have the tools,,,roto ratchet, extensions and swivel joints,,its impossible...I also bought the magnetic 5/8 with swivel extension,,,thats why I didn't break a plug,,,god bless that tool!
      OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
      "BFTR"

Comment

I am far from a mechanic

But when I had to change the headlight bulb on my car, an '09 HHR, I had to take off the tire, and the wheel well panel just to get to the headlight. I want to smack the shit out of the dumb ass designer at GM who did that. I refused to take it to the dealer. All that just to change the friggin headlight bulb. Screw you, GM.
        Last edited by Eagle In Ohio; 07-26-2014, 03:36 PM.
        The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
          But when I had to change the headlight bulb on my car, an '09 HHR, I had to take off the tire, and the wheel well panel just to get to the headlight. I want to smack the shit out of the dumb ass designer at GM who did that. I refused to take it to the dealer. All that just to change the friggin headlight bulb. Screw you, GM.

Although I can completely understand your frustration with things like that, blaming the designer isn't as simple as it seems, and I bet it went something like this,

GM told said designer to come up with a headlight for a new model, and when he was done the piece not only looked good but you could change the bulb in two seconds, and then something happened.

The production engineer said it would take too long to install the assembly on the line, so the designer changed it, then the exterior design studio said that it would cost them mpg and the car would not meet C.A.F.E. standards, so the designer changed it.

Then the Legal dept. got a hold of it and said that it would not meet CRASH standards, so the designer changed it, then the accounting dept. got ahold of it and said, we can't spend $12.31 your budget is $3.94.

At this point the designer threw his hands up in the air and said fuck this, here you go, and that is why you have to take the front wheel off your car to change your headlight bulb.

In a former life I have been involved with both automotive design, development and production, you can not believe the shit that has to be a certain way just to make someone else happy.
          Last edited by Eagle Road; 07-27-2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

While I don't doubt thay

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
            Although I can completely understand your frustration with things like that, blaming the designer isn't as simple as it seems, and I bet it went something like this,

GM told said designer to come up with a headlight for a new model, and when he was done the piece not only looked good but you could change the bulb in two seconds, and then something happened.

The production engineer said it would take too long to install the assembly on the line, so the designer changed it, then the exterior design studio said that it would cost them mpg and the car would not meet C.A.F.E. standards, so the designer changed it.

Then the Legal dept. got a hold of it and said that it would not meet CRASH standards, so the designer changed it, then the accounting dept. got ahold of it and said, we can't spend $12.31 your budget is $3.94.

At this point the designer threw his hands up in the air and said fuck this, here you go, and that is why you have to take the front wheel off your car to change your headlight bulb.

In a former life I have been involved with both automotive design, development and production, you can not believe the shit that has to be a certain way just to make someone else happy.
            It's still a dumb design. Something I never considered before I bought it. I'm not saying I regret buying it, I just hope the other bulb doesn't go out for awhile.
            The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
            X