Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice from the Sharks,,Traffic court Question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice from the Sharks,,Traffic court Question..

I know we have Many Law talking guys on the board..I had a Fender Bender..strange Situation.. Straight forwards here..Can I go to court and ask the Judge to throw out the 2 points on Careless tic?? I have no problem paying the Ticket or court fee's...can I ask for leniency on a count the Guy was on my bumper, and My truck was on a steep hill,,the car was not visible in my mirror?

Or do I need to get a guy to stand there and speak for me?.....its 2 points,,I just dont deserve them.....any insight on how to approach this?....Thanks
    Last edited by TRENT; 08-07-2014, 11:56 AM.
    OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
    "BFTR"

Happened to me in NJ. I got the points taken off they changed the charge to one where I paid a higher fine plus court costs. Just go to court on your date and speak with the person charging you (DA, Prosecutor or whatever they are called). They are always willing to bend. Mine went from a 10 MPH over limit $110 and 4 points to a Cell Phone Violation $150 and no points. They are willing to work with you once you go as long as your checkbook is ready.

Comment

That said, if it's the only 2 pts on your record, save the money and take the points - who gives a crap? If you are clean for a year, 2 pts drop off yor license (at least in NJ).

Last ticket I got in NJ, they offered me the 4 pt deal, the 2 pt deal, and the 0 pt deal.

I opted for the 2pts and saved some cash.

Comment

Thanks,,that sounds about right..

been 25 year or so since I had a traffic case I wanted to resolve..this one just wasnt my fault,,the guy was so up my ass,,I could see him at all in any of my mirrors..I left my cell in the waiting room,,so I looked,,all clear put in reverse and hit the Guy....what a mess...My truck nothing...his front end,,crunch''' Toyota" not bad..cop issues me careless which is the lesser ticket.
        I will make my court date Thanks..
        OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
        "BFTR"

Comment

I do agree with your mantra....its the cheapest and easiest way

and personally I have lived that..I just usually pay the ticket..no big deal...I always had no points,,last year I got a speeding ticket..Ok it was 4 points...now My twins are 18,, and both want to drive,,,the 2 points becomes larger...so yeah if the circumstance were diff I would just pay and wait...but If i can get them dropped,,it would be best..
          OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
          "BFTR"

Comment

In NJ traffic court, the main benefit of having an attorney is you get to cut the line and prosecutors will cut more deals. You need to ask to plea it down to "unsafe driving." That is a slightly larger fine but no points and will save you more money in the long run. In speeding situations they will automatically give you that. It should work here as well.

Before you try unsafe though, you should beg for "obstruction." That is a no point, low fine option that you might get if the prosecutor is in a good mood. That's your best case scenario. Worst case you settle for unsafe and make out ok with no points.

I'll send you my bill.
            "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Here in Florida you pay the ticket and take up a traffic school course on-line for about $8.00 and the pts are taking off. Here you just have to print out the certificate and bring it to court for verification and the pts are taking off.

Comment

But your insurance will go up correct?

Comment

Originally posted by brun019822 View Post
                  But your insurance will go up correct?
                  The more points you have on your driving record, the worse your record looks to a car insurance company. No points doesn't affect your car insurance premiums. So it's best to take the points off before your court date.

Comment

thanks !

Ill be looking for it

thanks for the Info Big Mac

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                    I.

Before you try unsafe though, you should beg for "obstruction." That is a no point, low fine option that you might get if the prosecutor is in a good mood. That's your best case scenario. Worst case you settle for unsafe and make out ok with no points.

I'll send you my bill.
                    OFFICIAL BOARD DRUG CZAR
                    "BFTR"

Comment

Good luck man! PM me if you have any questions. I did a decent amount of municipal work back when I was practicing.
                      "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Working...
                      X