Serious question RE: Marcus Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious question RE: Marcus Smith

Did anyone get a good or bad view of him on Sunday? I only noticed Fredo making the mistakes...

he gave up that throw back pass to Gore for a TD

Comment

Originally posted by J Con View Post
      As in...he was responsible, or he literally GAVE UP (didn't try) ?

Comment

Originally posted by J Con View Post
        To be fair, that play broke down.
        "If I was racist in my opinion of QB's, I wouldn't have a dog named Donovan." - downundermike

Comment

Yeah, I don't know if I really fault Smith for that, or if any one specific player can be faulted. A mobile QB running to one side of the field, especially one who tries to fit throws into tight coverage, is going to have pretty much every team chasing to the ball like that.

Comment

Smith actually took the blame after the game. He said if Gore had stayed in to help block, he was responsible for helping coverage on Vernon. If Gore ran out for a pass, that was his man.

He said Gore initially started to block so he immediately took off after Davis, and then Gore released out into the flat. By that time it was too late.
            "But again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look in the mirror."

Comment

Originally posted by ReidsArmy View Post
              Smith actually took the blame after the game. He said if Gore had stayed in to help block, he was responsible for helping coverage on Vernon. If Gore ran out for a pass, that was his man.

He said Gore initially started to block so he immediately took off after Davis, and then Gore released out into the flat. By that time it was too late.

At least he knew what his assignment was, I think with time he'll be alright.
              Last edited by Eagle Road; 10-01-2014, 08:48 AM.

Comment

On the first play of the second quarter, Smith dropped into zone coverage when 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick went back to pass. But once Kaepernick scrambled to the left, Smith was supposed to "plaster" the 49ers receiver nearest to him, running back Frank Gore. That is, Smith should have covered Gore man-to-man. He didn't. He followed his instincts and followed Kaepernick, who stopped, swiveled his hips, and chucked the football across the field to Gore for a 55-yard touchdown, the 49ers' first in their 26-21 victory.
                Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...CB4deTESaKB.99

Comment

Then yeah, he screwed up his assignment. I'm still not furious at a rook playing a new position for that breakdown, because it's a once in a season type play.

I am furious at Earl Wolff for not being able to bring down Gore when he had a shot down the field. I know Gore is tough to bring down 1v1, but still, Wolff's effort was epically bitchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
                    Then yeah, he screwed up his assignment. I'm still not furious at a rook playing a new position for that breakdown, because it's a once in a season type play.

I am furious at Earl Wolff for not being able to bring down Gore when he had a shot down the field. I know Gore is tough to bring down 1v1, but still, Wolff's effort was epically bitchy.

this is the difference between our terrible secondary and a secondary like the Seahags...they almost never miss tackles.

Comment

I would expect Smith to bust a few coverages this year. He's been a pro for 4 games and is going from DE to MLB. Pretty drastic difference there. I hope he improves as the year goes on, but he will probably be a liability in coverage the rest of this year. When Kendricks comes back, that liability will be mitigated some.

Comment

Originally posted by JDuggernaut View Post
                        I would expect Smith to bust a few coverages this year. He's been a pro for 4 games and is going from DE to MLB. Pretty drastic difference there. I hope he improves as the year goes on, but he will probably be a liability in coverage the rest of this year. When Kendricks comes back, that liability will be mitigated some.

He's out this week and looking like he wont play next Sunday night, either. I hate terrible LBs more than anything...

Comment

Hard to judge as he was only in for 7 plays.

Wolff should've had that tackle but he tried to go high instead of taking out Gore's legs
                          YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

Well damn, that's discouraging. I guess they want him 100% coming out of the bye

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
                              Hard to judge as he was only in for 7 plays.

Wolff should've had that tackle but he tried to go high instead of taking out Gore's legs
                              In Wolff's defense, it's not like Gore has been around a long time with a reputation as a guy who runs tough and is a pain to bring down. If there were years of tape, say like 9 years worth, that showed the best way to tackle Frank Gore is to go low and Wolff still went high, then I think we'd have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X