Please enlighten me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please enlighten me...

How was that non-first down measurement called a first down?

Why was the ref's call with arms akimbo called defensive holding?

I was happy about the outcome, however, confused about many of the calls...?

Originally posted by eagleinx346 View Post
    I didn't see the play in question, but I did read something interesting about all the phantom first downs.

Stopping the game to measure is too much clutter - they'd rather award the 1st down and keep the offense moving. Fits in well with all the other "pro-offense" changes in the game. Scoring more points = ratings and more commercials. Measuring for first downs furthers neither of those goals. Its also part of why games are 1-3 minutes shorter despite the increase in penalties.

No clue if this is true or not, but I did read it on the internet.

Comment

It was crazy...never seen it before...

Looked like 1-2 inches short of first...awarded first down???

Comment

in the Packers vs Miami game Jordy Nelson appeared to be a more than a yard short and they gave it to him. I've seen it a bunch of times already this year

Comment

You're not completely understanding. They measured. It was short. By about an inch or two but definitely short and they took the time to drag the chains out. And the refs just gave them the first

Comment

I assumed it was a bad camera angle

nm
            "I could buy you." - The Village Idiot

Comment

Fantasy football is becoming HUGE money ... thus, I think rules are promoting scoring not just because the NFL thinks it gets more new fans who just like scoring, I think rules promoting scoring are also driven by the fact that more and more people are playing (and betting on) fantasy football.

Meanwhile us old school real fans, who like defense, are getting fucked.
              Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Riccardo View Post
                nm

I also thought it a bad angle.

Comment

Don't Know If You Mean This Play...

...but the ref gave the signal for offsides and called holding -- and neither of the talking heads bothered to mention it!
                  "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell!"

Comment

This...

Originally posted by slag View Post
                    Meanwhile us old school real fans, who like defense, are getting fucked.

Totally fucked.
                    500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

Probably this, but also because the first down is measured to the end of the chain, not to the pole.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleinx346 View Post
                        Was the camera positioned in the exactly correct spot to look down the line?

Comment

I was in the endzone so even with binoculars it was a bad angle ... but the shot on the video screen looked like they got it by two pube hairs.
                          Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Comment

That's what I thought too

Comment

Working...
                            X