Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New movie about John du Pont (Villanova Grad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New movie about John du Pont (Villanova Grad)

I caught Steve Carrell on Stern today talking about the film. It's the first I've heard of it. It looks good; see the trailer below.

One has to wonder how successful Villanova basketball would've been without du Pont's contributions to the program in the 80's.

Why let the complete facts get in the way of a good story

Du Pont graduated from Haverford School in 1957. He attended college in Miami, Florida, where he studied under and was mentored by the scientist Oscar T. Owre.[7] He graduated from the University of Miami in 1965 with a Bachelor of Science degree in zoology. Du Pont went on to complete a doctorate in natural science from Villanova University in 1973

The BBall team might have sucked as badly as the Owls without his help in building the Ski Lodge....
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Apparently I can't watch the film, it would be a sign of my condoning the actions of a madman.

Keep cashing Dr. Huxtable's checks, but first administer the checks a RAPE kit.

Comment

Maybe they should slap the du pont name back on the Pavillion in honor of the film

Hopefully some proceeds from the film go to paying off some recruits
      I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

But he donated millions to Villanova and had the arena named after him. He didn't do that for Miami, so I don't really care that he was undergraduate there. I'm sure with his cash there were plenty of manila envelopes to go around for the recruits in the 80's (I know, I know this would never happen at Nova!)

And when did Temple name an arena after Bill Cosby? You keep bringing him up...do you realize some of your favorite politicians still associate with him (Obama, the Clintons, ect)? It's not the same thing as du Pont, and you know it. If it was Peter Liacourous you would have a point.
        Last edited by rothdawg; 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I'll actually commend Nova for one thing...it's amazing the '85 team was able to focus on basketball with du Pont running around campus doing all his dirt and all the coke that they were snorting/sellling

Comment

Du Pont probably paid for McLain's coke.

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
              .... If it was Peter Liacourous you would have a point.
              No. It wouldnt be the same comparing a rich benefactor to a University President.
              Du Pont went to jail for his crime which incidentally, happened after his gift to the University. Cosby didn't go to jail for rape and continues to fund TU athletics among other school interests.

http://temple-news.com/opinion/hypocrisy-football-team/

Who paid for Khalif Wyatt's prostitute?
              http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...titution-sting
              Last edited by T.D-Bag; 11-12-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

the facts are:

John E. DuPont was a murdering scumbag.

Villanova took his money and put his name on the Ski Lodge.

When they self-righteously took his name off the Ski Lodge, following his arrest for the cold-blooded murder, they kept the money.

But keep ripping on Bill Cosby. Whatever gets you through the night.
                Officially awaiting Douchebagnacht II since
                May 7, 2010

Comment

Does the film detail...

...DuPont's hitting on the young boy rasslers???
                  May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Irish George View Post
                    John E. DuPont was a murdering scumbag.

Villanova took his money and put his name on the Ski Lodge.

When they self-righteously took his name off the Ski Lodge, following his arrest for the cold-blooded murder, they kept the money.

But keep ripping on Bill Cosby. Whatever gets you through the night.
                    a better basketball team than TU is all I need.

school officials have said he actually gave the university between $500,000 and $1 million.
                    How much has cosby donated?
                    Last edited by T.D-Bag; 11-12-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

TD wrestled at nova probably.

Keep Khalif's name outta yo mouth
                      I'm not the hill you want to die on

Comment

Originally posted by T.D-Bag View Post

school officials have said he actually gave the university between $500,000 and $1 million.
                        I don't have a major horse in this race, but I was just thinking...

What has Cosby been convicted of?

What was DuPont convicted of?
                        --------
                        "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

Sexual assault ALLEGATIONS are nothing to sneer at...

but he certainly has not been charged with RAPE as you state, and calling him a rapist is inaccurate and a weak brush-off of what we all know John E. DuPont actually DID.

And Cosby doesn't think he's the Dali Lama.
                          May 7, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by rothdawg View Post
                            I caught Steve Carrell on Stern today talking about the film. It's the first I've heard of it. It looks good; see the trailer below.

One has to wonder how successful Villanova basketball would've been without du Pont's contributions to the program in the 80's.
                            Do you think Rick saw a screener of this movie before the Mich St visit and called Jalen to tell him they have to commit to Nova immediately.

After Temple did the right thing and pulled his job offer, Rick saw this movie and realized just how much Nova will let people get away if they can help make them even slightly better and knew Nova was the choice.

The inevitable job that Jay Wright offered him was just the icing on the cake.

Comment

No. It wouldnt be the same comparing a rich benefactor to a University President.
                              Du Pont went to jail for his crime which incidentally, happened after his gift to the University. Cosby didn't go to jail for rape and continues to fund TU athletics among other school interests.

http://temple-news.com/opinion/hypocrisy-football-team/

Who paid for Khalif Wyatt's prostitute?
                              http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...titution-sting

Yeah, Khalif Wyatt picking up a prostitute in AC is very comparable to du Pont. I think you are empathetic to the guy; you keep deflecting what he did here, even implying he's better than Cosby because he's serving time.

What the hell does that Temple Football article have to do with anything?

But if you want to resort to this nonsense I'll go toe to toe with you.
                              http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4399490
                              http://www.delcotimes.com/general-ne...sted-in-radnor
                              http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/former...rested-assault
                              http://6abc.com/archive/7785084/

And who could forget....Tim Donaghy!
                              http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/ma...er-t.html?_r=0

Comment

Working...
                              X