• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suck It 09-10 Nets!!!

Sixers got that W!!!!

1-71 !!!!!!

Progress !!!!!!
    The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston Churchill

Comment

of course, no 50% of your papa johns today because they only score 85.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle In Ohio View Post
        Progress !!!!!!
        Undefeated since Meek got free. Philly stand up!

Comment

Originally posted by Sect 236 View Post
          Sixers got that W!!!!
          Typical Philly. Always 2nd fiddle to NY/NJ
          --
          Your Retarded

Comment

i don't know if I get this rebuilding thing. If they don't get a true superstar, which is a complete crapshoot, isn't all this tanking completely pointless? Are they going to go out and buy one once they have a foundation in place? What is the point of this tanking unless they happen to draft a Lebron/Durant?

And even then... you probably need at least 2 true superstars to be a real contender. Then again, I don't know shit about the NBA.
            Last edited by D Leff; 12-04-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Ultimately Hinkie believes their best shot at getting that true superstar (or two) is by being really bad and picking from the cream of the crop for a few seasons like Seattle/OKC did with Durant, Harden and Westbrook.

If they followed the course they had been on, they would always stay in the 7th, 8th or 9th seeding, picking in the mid teens, and adding to mediocrity.

There's a very good chance the tanking could not work at all, but for me personally, I'd rather them try this with the potential to be great than continue to watch them lose 4-1 in the first round.

Comment

Which would be fine I guess if they had nothing to lose, but they probably have a lot to lose. They will become even more irrelevant and lose a large part of the fanbase they still had. And what young kids are growing up sixers fans or latching on to any of the crap that's on this team now?
                Last edited by D Leff; 12-04-2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Neither of those are valid points with the Sixers.

They were consistently coming in around 25th in the NBA in attendance during the Iggy/Turner/Doug Collins years. Those years they were one and done in the playoffs, around .500, and people weren't showing up. Continuing that way of building their team and presenting that product wasn't going to miraculous result in a top 10 attendance.

The NBA, more than any sport, is about stars. Kids grow up fans of Jordan or Kobe or LeBron or Durant. This generation wasn't going to be attracted to the Sixers whether they tanked or not with "star" players like Evan Turner and Thad Young. If Embiid is the next Hakeem and they draft Mudiay and he's the next Wall or Kyrie, kids will be Sixers fans.

Comment

Originally posted by D Leff View Post
                    Which would be fine I guess if they had nothing to lose, but they probably have a lot to lose. They will become even more irrelevant and lose a large part of the fanbase they still had. And what young kids are growing up sixers fans or latching on to any of the crap that's on this team now?
                    No question this is risky. It's awful now, and there's no guarantee it will work. Some fans are downright furious, and I can't say I blame them. I, for one, was utterly sick of this team being stuck in the middle of the pack and think this is the most promising way to re-establish the Sixers as great team in a few years. And I think as soon as next year (assuming Embiid gets healthy, and the doctors think he will) they're going to be a lot more fun to watch -- still bad, but not THIS bad.

Comment

They were consistently coming in around 25th in the NBA in attendance during the Iggy/Turner/Doug Collins years. Those years they were one and done in the playoffs, around .500, and people weren't showing up. Continuing that way of building their team and presenting that product wasn't going to miraculous result in a top 10 attendance.

The NBA, more than any sport, is about stars. Kids grow up fans of Jordan or Kobe or LeBron or Durant. This generation wasn't going to be attracted to the Sixers whether they tanked or not with "star" players like Evan Turner and Thad Young. If Embiid is the next Hakeem and they draft Mudiay and he's the next Wall or Kyrie, kids will be Sixers fans.
                      Worth noting also that no amount of money was going to get the bona fide, established stars to come to Philly, either. They'll get them through the draft, or they won't get them at all.

Comment

I think people were at least paying attention, kids were at least walking around with Iguodala and Jrue jerseys, even if they weren't Kobe or Lebron. Who's wearing a Wroten jersey? I guess it's an NBA problem more so than a 76er problem, the system shouldn't be like this.
                        Last edited by D Leff; 12-04-2014, 12:31 PM.

Comment

It's just dumb the way you have to build a team in the NBA, nothing like this in any other league.

Comment

It's just dumb the way you have to build a team in the NBA, nothing like this in any other league.
                            I think they should reform the draft system in the NBA in a way which would reduce incentives for tanking and also give mediocre teams a better shot at landing the better players in the draft. Kinda surprised it didn't happen this year.
                            --------
                            "We choose to go to the moon."

Comment

They haven't been relevant

for awhile.

Actually, the young pieces they have now are already more relevant than anything they've had since AI left. I think most people are cautiously optimistic with Hinkie.

If everything starts coming together the young fans will come. If not, well, they haven't really been there to begin with. Even the biggest homers could not possibly believe that the Sixers of the past decade or so could compete with the top teams in the east.

Comment

Working...
                              X