I read an article that said Navy has an inherent advantage over Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read an article that said Navy has an inherent advantage over Army

because of the training USMA cadets, including the football players, have to undergo. Because of this training regimen which is not designed for football skills, the team from West Point ends up in great shape for Army needs but being a little undersized for football. It's not to your advantage to bulk up TOO much if you are in the Army.

I have no idea if this is true, but I have witnessed the obstacle course all cadets have to pass and it is outrageous. Basically designed to f you up and push you to the limit. I don't know if Annapolis has similar training requirements.
    --------
    "We choose to go to the moon."

I hadn't heard that, but it makes a lot of sense, actually. When I was in the army, in addition to physical fitness tests, we also had to pass the 'weigh and tape.' It was a formula to determine a ratio of how much you weighed vs. how thick you should be around your neck and midsection.

I remember having a hell of a time trying to get one of my soldiers promoted because even though he was in amazing shape, he just couldn't pass the 'weigh and tape.' He had a thick build like a football player, so despite his great scores in other areas, he just didn't fit army regulations.

It's kind of indicative of the physical standard the army is trying to achieve, and I could definitely see it hurting the football program.

Comment

Go Navy, Beat Army.

Army got a TD on a blocked punt and a FG!
      Navy Got two TD's and a FG.
      Navy 17 Army 10
      Last edited by Mississippi-Fan; 12-13-2014, 07:43 PM.
      "Never Look Back, Something May Be Gaining On You."

Comment

Working...
      X