Sadly it's all over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadly it's all over

Yeah, I'm still stinging over the Iggles season, but here I'm talking about The Wire HD marathon over the last 5 days. What a fabulous ride! Watched all but 4 hours.

Which brings me to the thought of how great that show was (still is), and how fucking piss poor watching the NFL has become. The NFL isn't your grandfather's game anymore.........shit, it's not even my game anymore!
    Everyone here, at one time or another, has lamented about how bad the game has become. Through rules that have only been for the worse and officiating that is either incompetent or out and out biased. Yellow flags have taken over the game and have more to do with the outcome than the actual players.

The Iggles certainly had their share this year. Shady tackled by the facemask and no call? An offensive lineman 20 yards downfield on a pass play but nobody in stripes seems to notice? What a load of crap!

So on Sunday I sat this one out and watched The Wire. In between episodes I wandered over the to Falcons/Panthers game; one where I had no rooting interest. With the Panthers leading 17-3 I watched Roddy White catch a pass and have a nice run after the completion, only to be tackled by the facemask and then stripped of the ball which was recovered by Carolina. But wait, there's a flag on the field!

After the obligatory conference, the ref informs us that the penalty is on an offensive lineman for an illegal block. No facemask is mentioned. Penalty is refused, Carolina ball. Panthers go on to score to make it 24-3, when it could have been 17-10. The rout is on.

Just another day of shit football with very questionable officiating.

Thank you so much, David Simon.
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

Loved the marathon. Missed all of Season 4 and the second half of season 5 because of work. I'm eating Honey Nut Cheerios as I type this.

The NFL sucks. I've had the NFL ticket for the past 7 years. I used to watch every game possible. But for the last two years, I only watch the Iggle game. To a person that loves defense, the game is almost unwatchable now.
    500 internet fights, that's the number I figured when I first joined igglephans. 500 internet fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate internet-tough guy. You need them for experience, to develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then...after...you realize that's what you are.

Comment

It's not just the officiating anymore... there's a stench around the league in general.

Comment

I hate to be one of those fans that complains that their team gets bad officiating but it does seem to be the case with the Iggs. A lot of missed calls and the media in general seems to have an ax to grind with them.
        Canada is like a really nice apartment over a meth lab.

Robin Williams

Comment

Season 4

Originally posted by 3rd & Inches View Post
          Loved the marathon. Missed all of Season 4 and the second half of season 5 because of work. I'm eating Honey Nut Cheerios as I type this.

The NFL sucks. I've had the NFL ticket for the past 7 years. I used to watch every game possible. But for the last two years, I only watch the Iggle game. To a person that loves defense, the game is almost unwatchable now.
          that's the "school" season, right? Excellent, spot on portrayal of urban education issues.

I am with you on the Sunday Ticket. Whenever the Eagles weren't on, I LOVED flipping through and watching games. Not anymore. As other posters have pointed out, it's not so much the increase in pass-related defensive penalties, but the inconsistency in their application.

During the Vagiants' game, the announcer appeared generally excited about the officials letting them play after the Beckham/Carroll hand fighting. Later, I think it was Boykin who got called for illegal contact on a complete horseshit call and I don't recall any faux outrage from the announcers. Seems like ever since the league settled with the officials a couple of years ago, there is little accountability for their general shittiness.

Comment

I missed the marathon when it was on, but thankfully Comcast has every episode of every season in high def OnDemand. I figured it was time to go back and start from the beginning again. Just finished season 1. Pretty sure this show gets better every time I watch it.

Comment

I've been running a Twitter account (@WireFans) for over 4 years now. This marathon was great. I live tweeted (Geigh I know) through just about every episode. It was great, a lot of the cast members joined in and gave us behind the scenes info and stuff like that. I've watched the complete series over 10 times and I learn something new every time.

Comment

Working...
              X