Chip Wanted Jordan Matthews Round 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip Wanted Jordan Matthews Round 1

Acording to sources, Howie told him (paraphrasing) a guy like Matthews will be there in round 2.

On one hand, it's a positive sign that Chip most likely wasn't leading the Marcus Smith parade, on the other, it's another case of Chip wanting to take a guy higher than was necessarily. Unlike the Taylor Hart thing, at least Matthews proved himself to be a first round talent so Chip's assessment wasn't off, just his ability to predict the draft trends.

Further down the page, it mentions how Chip wouldn't have fought for Gamble, he just didn't like the way the firing played out. If that's the case, maybe Smith was Gamble's pick.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20...s-first-round/
    Last edited by Sect 236; 01-04-2015, 01:09 PM.

I actually think the source is Gamble bc reporter is Jason Cole.
    WANGNUTIAN. (pronounced wang-nooshan, martian)

Comment

True. We'll never know for sure and as much as we wanna know who is responsible for Smith, anybody with half a brain will deny championing his cause.

Comment

Maybe we can back into the answer. Who is responsible for Sanchez, Barkley, wanting an all pro WR off the team. That may lead you to the "who" in the Smith debacle.

Comment

Yawn. I can't wait for next season when the Eagles start winning games and you disappear from posting again.
          Last edited by Sect 236; 01-04-2015, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I usually don't resort to negative posting, but you are an idiot.
            ".........there is no experience in the NFL like walking out of the tunnel at the Vet and listening to the fans get on you for three solid hours. Those people invent new ways to abuse you every year." Bill Parcels on the Eagle's fans

Comment

Originally posted by CCPete View Post
              Maybe we can back into the answer. Who is responsible for Sanchez, Barkley, wanting an all pro WR off the team. That may lead you to the "who" in the Smith debacle.
              I suppose a good coach should have had Joe Montana and John Elway waiting in the wings when Foles went down?

Comment

I think the source of the Matthews story is Howie since it makes Howie look good.
                Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

It doesn't make him look good if it was his idea to take Smith. Even just from a salary standpoint would have been better to flip flop. Plus maybe they end up with someone else in the second round. It gives me comfort that Chip didn't want him there.
                  "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                    It doesn't make him look good if it was his idea to take Smith. Even just from a salary standpoint would have been better to flip flop. Plus maybe they end up with someone else in the second round. It gives me comfort that Chip didn't want him there.
                    The thing is...we still don't know who drafted smith.

It doesn't comfort me that kelly wanted hart in the third round.

And they ended up with huff when bryant and brown were picked after him.

Hindsight is 20/20 and huff definitely has talent...but still.

Plus... never understood the pick. Size at wideout...but huff is 5'11"... he's built big but not tall.
                    Last edited by nerd; 01-04-2015, 05:51 PM.
                    “I am going to literally sodomize you on the field of battle. I am going to have non-consensual sex with your face and your butt. Then I’m going after your wife and kid”

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthy12 View Post
                      It didn't say Howie wanted Smith. It didn't say Chip didn't want Smith. It said Howie correctly advised Chip that Matthews would be available in the second round.

Comment

At this point

It doesn't matter who wanted Smith and who didn't. Going forward it is all on Chip and whoever they hire to be the personnel guy/GM/whatever the hell they will call him. Smith was a bad pick, but maybe there is hope yet. Just not sure where that would come from. Whoever does the personnel picking whether it be free agents, draft picks, or trades, better get some defensive backs, linebackers, maybe a WR and definitely some offensive linemen to start getting ready. For a team that has won 10 games each of the last two seasons, this team has a lot of holes to fill.

Comment

Well if his preference was Matthews, then it wasn't Smith. Seems either Roseman or Gamble had Smith pegged as a first rounder. To the extent Kelly had his eye on Smith, he didn't think he was worth their first pick. Good call by Howie that Matthews would be there in the second. Disasterous call by whoever that Smith should be their first.
                          Last edited by McCarthy12; 01-04-2015, 06:48 PM.
                          "Listen to McCarthy" - Art Vandelay

Comment

think about this

NOBODY knows how a pick will turn out no matter when he is picked. We all know the names of late round "steals" and early round duds. Hell if some team had taken Brady in the 4th round people would have called it a reach, a stupid pick, or whatever. I feel pretty confident NOBODY had any idea Brady would do what he has done. I know Brady is the most amazing example ever but I am also sure there have been plenty of very good players at all positions that were "reaches" and ended up making the team that picked them look pretty damn smart. The draft is a crap shoot. How many people would have taken Leaf ahead of Manning? A LOT. The Eagles need to address their issues and when they pick hope it turns out well.

Comment

If true, all it means is that Kelly had rated Matthews rated ahead of Smith. Maybe Smith was a close second for him. Would Smith have lasted till the second round? Howie did his job.

If Kelly didn't like Smith, they wouldn't have drafted him in the first round. Plus I don't think one season makes him a horrible bust yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X