Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, all in for Mariota?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...3?ocid=DELLDHP
    Last edited by Eagle Road; 02-18-2015, 07:23 PM.

Well let him drop to #5, and then for God's sake, I hope the Skins listen, division rival or not.

Comment

Foles must go but it would take the Eagles entire draft board to move up that far. Not happening.
      Blue Chip College Football - Coach Your College to the National Championship

Comment

Why would someone who put up historically great numbers in his first season as a starter, and struggled behind an injured O-line in a partial second season as a starter, be classified as a "must" go?
        -Slizz of Wangnutz

Comment

Originally posted by Phoward12 View Post
          Well let him drop to #5, and then for God's sake, I hope the Skins listen, division rival or not.

Gruden just named RG3 your starter, I thought it an odd time to announce that?

Comment

I personally am not a fan of drafting Mariota. However, if chip thinks this is the guy who is going to get us (not them) to the promise land then he needs to do whatever he needs to do to land him. If it works, he's a hero, if it doesn't then he goes back to coaching college ball. If he drafts Mariota we will know what we have in chip sooner rather than later. I think chip needs to get "his guy" at quarterback to have the offense running the way it's supposed to. I believe Mariota is his guy.

Comment

I disagree, with the void we have in the defensive secondary the best quarterback in the world won't help.

Comment

Originally posted by dmg489 View Post
                I disagree, with the void we have in the defensive secondary the best quarterback in the world won't help.

I'm really split on this, and just so you know I like Foles, but the way this guy makes it sound Foles would be gone MM would start right away.

I agree with you we need a couple of changes on defense, but on the other hand, even with Foles under center, I think this O is running at 2/3 capacity.

In other words, I think that in Kelly's scheme that QB being either able to run, or at least a threat to run is a full 1/3 of his offense, unfortunately with Foles, you just don't have that.

But I think to pull this all off AND have MM be THE guy, is one hell of a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlizz View Post
                  Why would someone who put up historically great numbers in his first season as a starter, and struggled behind an injured O-line in a partial second season as a starter, be classified as a "must" go?
                  Simple. Many here drank the chip-aid. They are all in with him and have lost all sense of reason. It's the :"if Chip wants him, it OK with me" mantra. Sort of like the Pied Piper leading the flock off the cliff.

Any team wanting to be a serious contender with a solid FO and coach would go with Foles and strengthen the areas that keep the team from having a serious shot. We really don't know what Chip is thinking but if he thinks MM is the only QB in the world who can successfully run CHIP BALL, it tell you more about a failed system than any QB. it is doomed to be a bust.

This team needs Big time help in critical areas. If they give it all away to get MM and he turns into an RG lll.....Ryan Leaf will have a replacement on the wall of infamy. There is a reason why Oregon QBs don't translate to great Pro QBs. They would be killed if they were asked run the ball and that's what they do.

Comment

I don't know if Mariota is good enough to be "the guy" or not. But I don't think it matters.

Even if he turns out to be the next Brady, we will have given up too much to get a team assembled around him in any reasonable length of time.

His career would be half over by the time we contend again, if he doesn't get killed behind an aging o-line without good replacements.

Comment

That's the rub. He won't get killed BEHIND the O-line. He'll get killed in Front of them because his success (as well as Chip ball) relies ipon a running QB.

Comment

Willing to give Foles another shot with a healthy OLine...

too many glaring needs on defense and would have to give up too much to move up...

Comment

The question I have about people not wanting Mariota (not that I'm in the sell-the-farm camp) is, why else would you bring the big bad revolutionary college offense guru Chip Kelly, if you're not going to let him run the offense that got him the job in the first place? You're kinda handcuffing him before he even gets started. The thing I think the Eagles have going in their favor is that perhaps Mariota isn't as valuable to most other teams if MM truly is a system QB....Chip's system :D Bad thing is that other teams know how bad Chip wants him and will take advantage.

I've read Cleveland is also interested in MM and they have two firsts this draft...would they really give up on Manziel that quickly? It is Cleveland after all.
                          YOU KILLED TED YOU MEDIEVAL DICKWEED!

Comment

I think if he falls unexpectedly, Chip makes a play for him. I don't think they can get to 5 without giving up more than Kelly (and Lurie) would be willing to spend.

I think we'll see the Eagles spend money in free agency on defense, but this draft isn't so stacked at positions of need that you can see a day-one starter within easy reach.

I think Mariota is a pipe dream unless he falls at least a couple slots out of the top 5, maybe to 10. At that point, a trade could make sense. He is practically purpose-built for Kelly's offense, but I think it's more likely we see Kelly trade up in the 2nd for a guy like Hundley with similar tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Road View Post
                              Gruden just named RG3 your starter, I thought it an odd time to announce that?
                              Very, but nothing really surprises me at this point. Fandom down here can be more of an endurance contest than anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X